Author Topic: Game/Race Creation - distribution of research points  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Game/Race Creation - distribution of research points
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »
I am not sure if this is feasible for inclusion into the next release due to your timing rewrite and these are almost questions rather than suggestions which is why I have went with a new topic.

As far as I can gather, the research point allocation is fairly random and then a large number of components are created and researched and then class designs made. This is with little or no input from the user. Which is great, very smart and well implemented.

I was wondering if it would be possible to specify the distinct areas of research that your starting race should be stronger in?

i.e.
I want my race to be strong in Railguns and Gauss Cannons from the start, with no or little knowledge in missiles.
Or, strong shields but basic armour.
Or, fighter based with fast engines and excellent missiles but poor everything else
etc etc

Also, can we have the option to not create basic class designs from the starting research? Or, possibly a better idea, would be to specify the class of ships that you would prefer an auto-generated class to be made for? I am a bit of a nit picker and end up making most of the original designs obsolete so I can start with my own designs (that they are any better! :oops: )

ta,
Adam

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Game/Race Creation - distribution of research points
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17:03 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I am not sure if this is feasible for inclusion into the next release due to your timing rewrite and these are almost questions rather than suggestions which is why I have went with a new topic.

As far as I can gather, the research point allocation is fairly random and then a large number of components are created and researched and then class designs made. This is with little or no input from the user. Which is great, very smart and well implemented.

I was wondering if it would be possible to specify the distinct areas of research that your starting race should be stronger in?

i.e.
I want my race to be strong in Railguns and Gauss Cannons from the start, with no or little knowledge in missiles.
Or, strong shields but basic armour.
Or, fighter based with fast engines and excellent missiles but poor everything else
etc etc

Also, can we have the option to not create basic class designs from the starting research? Or, possibly a better idea, would be to specify the class of ships that you would prefer an auto-generated class to be made for? I am a bit of a nit picker and end up making most of the original designs obsolete so I can start with my own designs (that they are any better! :oops: )
Each race gets its own designs so you can't break anything by deleting those assigned to player races. I agree that a much better situation would be to allow the player to pick and choose which designs he wants or even to allow the player to select background technology and then get specific designs based on that tech. Most of what I would need to do that is already coded so its really a matter of getting the necessary time to implement it. Something along these lines should be available in the next version of two, even if it doesn't make it into v4.1

Steve

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Game/Race Creation - distribution of research points
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Cool! Thanks for the reply :)

I can live with 'cleaning' up a few things for now and if need be I can just use the SM to give myself some Techs in the area I need (but I haven't done that yet).