Author Topic: Tutorial 1A - Alternate Setup  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Tutorial 1A - Alternate Setup
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Tutorial 1a - Alternate startup
Welcome to the alternate start up tutorial. In the last tutorial, you'll recall we were asked if we wanted to create the Sol system, and we said yes. In this one, we'll click No, and proceed from there. After clicking No, we are presented with the basic game setup. Consult Tutorial 2 for detailed information. For now, we will click Save, then Select.

We are now looking at the main game bar. In this case the title shows 'New Game #115 1st January 600 00:00'. New Game #115 is the name of the game, and 1st January 600 00:00 is the current game date and time.

First, click the Game Menu and Select Default Race. This brings up a list of all the races in the game. You should only see SM Race. Select that by highlighting and clicking Select, or double-clicking. Our title bar now has changed to show SM Race after the game time. Click the SpaceMaster menu, and SpaceMaster On. Type in your password, if any, and click OK. Our title bar has changed again, adding (SM) to the end to show we are in SM Mode.

Now, we need to create a system for our new empire. Hit the F9 key, or Empires/System View.

We are now presented with a blank system view screen. In the lower right corner you will see a number of buttons. We are interested  in the Create Empire and Create System ones. Click the Create System. After a moment, the game will show you the system it has generated. I got lucky on my first shot, with a cost 0.0 planet in the system. You may need to generate a number of systems before you get one that is suitable. Once you have, click your new homeworld. Since this is the SM Race we are still under, click the 'All SB Survey' button. This will run through the mineral generation process for all of the system bodies. Our new homeworld has 46,426,250 (.5) Duranium, 2,944,656 (.5) Tritanium and 15,163,240 (.1) Gallicite. Not very conducive to a burgeoning empire's home planet. So we click the HW Mineral button. This skews the mineral generation process to give all minerals in decent amounts with a fairly good availability.

Our next step is the actual creation of the race. Click the 'Create Empire' button. Make sure you have your homeworld selected, or you'll get an error, or a race where you don't want it. You'll be asked if you wish to create the race in stages, or randomly. If you click No, you will have very limited input as to what the racial makeup is, so we'll click yes. Clicking no is a good option for throwing in NPR's later in the game.

Our first decision is whether to use an existing race or not. We'll say No. We get a suggested species name of Adobreny. We'll accept this.
The next question is Maximum deviation in Oxygen pressure. We'll accept the game generated default. Note that this value changes per species. You will not always get the same value every time.
Next question is about Suggested Maximum Atmospheric Pressure. Again, we will take the default.
Next is the Suggested Maximum Temperature Deviation. This value is in Celsius. We'll take the default value here too.
Next we are asked about the Suggested Maximum Gravity Deviation. We will accept the default value here also.
Next, we are presented with the suggested Empire name of Adobreny Empire. This sounds good, so we will accept it.

From here, the steps are the same as in Tutorial 1. You will be asked if you wish to change the name of the homeworld. I suggest not changing it, as this will only change it for the SM Race.

Before continuing on to the next tutorial, be sure to select your new empire as the default race.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Tutorial 1A - Alternate Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »
Just edited the original post to remove the sticky and it moved to the top of the recent post list - not sure why but I thought I had better add this note in case anyone thought it was part of the v4.77 tutorial. This is an older tutorial that Erik created and I haven't covered this area yet in the new tutorial. Parts of it are now out of date though due to changes to the program.

Steve