Author Topic: FACs mass combat  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
FACs mass combat
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:58:38 AM »
I just had to deal with a combat involving a lot of FACs on both side... I must confess that having your fingers caught in a closing door is a more pleasing experience ... Because interface-wise, ouch, oh the pain, I almost gave up my game.  :P

I mass assigned with F8 my missiles to fire control without problem. Then I used the 'same loc' button to assign a target to each of my FAC. Problem, I have more ships than the enemy, an extra 50 FACs and same loc won't do its trick if the enemy ship is already targeted ...

So aside from assigning the 50 remaining FACs of me to others targets, I found no other solution. Do you have tricks here?

Second point, how do you use auto-fire and synch fire check box? I never got them to work. It seems they work together, but if this is the case, why not just have one checkbox?

Bottom line, how can I tell my ships, once they have missile to fire control assigned, which is easy to do en masse, to fire automatically on any ships they want, so I can forget the rest?

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
Re: FACs mass combat
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
This game could use a few more shortcuts I agree, as far as I know you'll need to assign the rest manually. Combat is one area where I don't have much experience in.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: FACs mass combat
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »
My advice is to not use the automated fire check box.  Functionally it's the same as the NPR fire protocol and is known to currently have some flaws, one of which is that ships with multiple fire controls only using 1.  Until Steve fixes this and adds some player controls it's best to just leave it alone.

Syncronous fire is different.  Against FAC's that don't have segnificant anti-missile defenses it's not much of an advantage.  Against well defended targets it's benefits really make a difference.  Just use the TG check box (F12 screen  history/officers/misc tab) and all ships in the TG are checked then assign targets through the F8 screen.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley