Author Topic: Overcoming Jumplag  (Read 1607 times)

Offline 0111narwhalz (OP)

• Petty Officer
Overcoming Jumplag
« on: April 01, 2016, 01:45:56 PM »
I have a bit of a situation: There're some scallywags on the other side of a jumpgate who need some explosions in their face, but I'm worried about their reaction to jumplag. How best can I minimize damage while waiting for my weapons to come online?
And no, I don't think they'll use the jumpgate, so waiting for them to come out is probably not a viable option.
Profile courtesy of Nicolas Niño, AKA Nnniiino.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Overcoming Jumplag
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 02:14:02 PM »
Shields, massive amounts of armor, and CIWS. My recommendation is building a squadron of Jump Point Assault Cruisers with tons of armor each to jump in take the damage, dish it out, then bring in the rest of the fleet to mop things up. Try having it equipped with Railguns, Plasma Carronades, and reduced size launchers.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 03:45:26 PM »
You can also research 'Max Squadron Jump Radius' tech which allows you to build jump drives that transit your ships much further from the jump point. Even the 8k research point level will jump you up to 500,000 kilometres away (distance is random up to that point). At 30k RP it is a million km.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
Optionally, there's also saturation options. If there's a jumpgate on your side you can send a horde of missile pods through (SBMHAWKs anyone?) that can either wait until their systems come back online or barf self-homing munitions, or send fighters through that either do the same thing or use their speed to stay alive until they can bring weapons into play.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
Nasties usually move towards things they attack. Maybe one volunteer with an active sensor (to draw attention) and a BIG engine can distract them, at least for a while.