Author Topic: Ruins and diplomacy  (Read 1935 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Ruins and diplomacy
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
These 2 subjects are not related, but tackle the ones you want  :D

1. I start to have suspicion that the diplomacy team assigned to a race don't do much. It has been 15 years that I have a diplo team on the USA, and they have the lowest diplomacy rating toward me (1600 points) compared to the 6 others human NPRs I don't court actively. That would be quite a lot of bad (or good?) luck if somehow I managed naturally to achieve a greater score with 6 NPRs where I don't have a diplo team, compared to the single one NPR where I have a team... You follow me? It seems like my diplo team has 0 effect. And before you ask, yes, the team is assigned to USA in the intelligence window. It is not just on the right planet...
During all this time truce countdown was in effect, so there was no particular irritation factor...

2. Ruins. If I put several xeno teams at work, will they decipher the ruins faster?

3. Bonus Q  :) what is the use of the factory bonus for ship commanders, except hastening jumpgate construction? Does it do anything else?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Ruins and diplomacy
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
1. I start to have suspicion that the diplomacy team assigned to a race don't do much. It has been 15 years that I have a diplo team on the USA, and they have the lowest diplomacy rating toward me (1600 points) compared to the 6 others human NPRs I don't court actively. That would be quite a lot of bad (or good?) luck if somehow I managed naturally to achieve a greater score with 6 NPRs where I don't have a diplo team, compared to the single one NPR where I have a team... You follow me? It seems like my diplo team has 0 effect. And before you ask, yes, the team is assigned to USA in the intelligence window. It is not just on the right planet...
That rating is how your people feel about them. How they feel toward you is hidden. Diplo teams effect how they feel to you. Sou you could feel 1600 about them, but they might be feeling 6000 towards you.

2. Ruins. If I put several xeno teams at work, will they decipher the ruins faster?
No.

3. Bonus Q  :) what is the use of the factory bonus for ship commanders, except hastening jumpgate construction? Does it do anything else?
JG construction for sure. I think they may also effect repairing things in hangars, but I don't remember off the top of my head.
[/quote]
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:11:18 AM »
JG construction for sure. I think they may also effect repairing things in hangars, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

That doesn't sound right. Hmm... the wiki only mentions jump gate construction and salvaging, but my notes point to a post that indicates at least sorium harvesters also benefit.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 03:20:52 AM »
The factory bonus is used for salvaging and jump gate construction.  The mining bonus is used by sorium harvesters.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 03:32:31 AM »
Thanks for the answers. Sorium harvesters do benefit from the mining bonus indeed, from experience.

Is the salvager operation sped up, or also provides higher yield?

Can someone confirm that I only need to drop a xenologist team on a planet with ruins for it to start working?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 05:17:41 AM »
I am dubious the skill of the commander increases the yield, my understanding is it speeds up the salvaging process.

You only need to drop a team on the planet with ruins.  I will mention that it took over 10 years one time and less than 6 months the second and third times for the team to translate the alien language or whatever they do.  But be warned it could take some considerable time.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 02:07:46 AM »
Thanks for the advices, because it has been years since they are supposedly at work. And as the planet summary mentions 'need a xeno team', I was not 100% sure I did not miss smth.

I confirm the thing about diplomacy, the USA have now opened their commercial lanes to me. First time ever that I have a friend in Aurora  ;D

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 03:15:34 AM »
I was equally anxious...the team took a decade.  I also worried due to that message.  But with 3 sucessful results I can confirm you just need a team present.  The NCC has only encountered aliens who communicate via nuclear packets or ones that are dead...or ones that are dead and appeared to be willing to commit genetic changes to themselves (horror beyond horror).

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 04:31:10 PM »
What is the link to  your AAR, I find nothing much recent from you as a fan fiction?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Here you:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=5546.0

Paul goes into meticulous detail so the pace of the AAR is glacial. But it's good.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »
Thanks for the kind recomendation.  I need to update, it is just work has been documentation hell of late and writing more documentation for fun...is harder to motivate myself but things are happening...I need to work on it over Christmas or as documentation is dropping off just get back to it.  There is one NCN operation that has gone on and another one they are preparing for...the delayed Operation Kremlin....finding a good "K" name has been hard...Kowabunga or Katmandu were floated by....but Kremlin seems to be sticking.  The Starslayer A3 has been combat tested...and the Sirocco Class (jump capable CA) is getting its last few tech systems developed so construction of the ships can start...it has probably taken 5 years overall from the concept to completion of the final design...that is nearly what it takes in real life.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
I was going to post that there was no update since January, but apparently the game is still live!

2 questions on PDCs,
how do you recycle old PDCs for some minerals?
You can't transport a PDC or put it back into crates, right?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 05:27:34 AM »
There is a button in the individual ship list that lets you destroy the PDC and then you can use a salvage ship to salvage the wreck.   I generally refit them...even when the cost of doing so is higher than the cost of a new build.

So far as I know once you have assembled a prefab PDC it can't be returned to a prefab state.  I've had no reason to do so, so I can't say with 100% certainty there may not be a way to do that.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 06:12:36 AM »
There's SM mode of course, but I belive it's limited to 'delete PDC from here, add new PDC there'.  You won't maintain any crew grade bonus, and I don't recall a way to SM add a prefab PDC rather than a completed one.