Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 441796 times)

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #2160 on: February 06, 2019, 04:14:52 PM »
Not exactly. There are no ground units that can be equipped with missile launchers. However, you can design a survey missile and a small military station (structural shell instead of armour) equipped with a box launcher to simulate the ISS being used as a probe launch platform, being supplied with new missiles through an abstracted interaction of a space port/ordnance transfer facility and maintenance facilities.

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #2161 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
Not exactly. There are no ground units that can be equipped with missile launchers. However, you can design a survey missile and a small military station (structural shell instead of armour) equipped with a box launcher to simulate the ISS being used as a probe launch platform, being supplied with new missiles through an abstracted interaction of a space port/ordnance transfer facility and maintenance facilities.

I thought the rules of structural shell was that no military systems could be put on board, essentially making it that only civilian stations could have it and be built by industry.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2162 on: February 07, 2019, 02:47:41 AM »

I thought the rules of structural shell was that no military systems could be put on board, essentially making it that only civilian stations could have it and be built by industry.

That is, indeed, the rules of Structural Shells as posted on the C# Aurora changes list.  Still, you could squeeze a single, very large missile launcher into a 1000 ton ship and fire your survey missiles at asteroids. . .  GEO survey missiles, anyway.  http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103096#msg103096 doesn't mention GRAV survey sensors.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:59:36 AM by Father Tim »

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #2163 on: February 07, 2019, 06:14:38 AM »

That is, indeed, the rules of Structural Shells as posted on the C# Aurora changes list.  Still, you could squeeze a single, very large missile launcher into a 1000 ton ship and fire your survey missiles at asteroids. . .  GEO survey missiles, anyway.  http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103096#msg103096 doesn't mention GRAV survey sensors.

FAC survey missile platform ? I like the idea. Though it'll probably cost more than a proper survey ship in the long run.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2164 on: February 08, 2019, 12:32:47 AM »
I guess I could see it if a system had enemy ships passing through periodically and you wanted to launch a bunch of low observable survey missiles then bug out with the actual ship.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #2165 on: February 08, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »
Thanks for the latest change. I have always wondered why fuel storages were so expensive. I had assumed it was a deliberate choice, and I was not happy about it.

It's mcuh better this way  ;D

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #2166 on: February 10, 2019, 09:15:45 AM »
if you're gimping auto-mines *and* asteroid mines, you're making asteroids considerably more player-intensive- and they're already conspicuously high on the ol' clicks-per-unit-reward metric.  i exploit asteroids in 7.1, but if i couldnt just throw capital at them, they would be nothing but a visual noise and processor slowdown.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2167 on: February 11, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
What is gimping auto-mines and asteroid mines? I haven't seen Steve post any changes to them.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2168 on: February 11, 2019, 04:09:27 PM »
What is gimping auto-mines and asteroid mines? I haven't seen Steve post any changes to them.

I haven't posted any changes to automated mines. Asteroid mining modules (now orbital mining modules) have gained a major advantage due to the space station changes, plus they can be used for moons as well. The new downside is the maximum diameter for mining which will take some asteroids out of reach until tech improves.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #2169 on: February 11, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
I think he meant to post that in the power generation topic.

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #2170 on: February 11, 2019, 06:31:16 PM »
sorry for sowing confusion, lost track of where each thread originated.

Offline Lamandier

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Joker, Smoker, Midnight Toker
« Reply #2171 on: February 12, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »

You could also get around the no-military-systems limitation by creating a separate module for the station. In 7.1 I simulate large orbital space stations by creating a complex of complementary modules all linked by tractor beams - a large orbital habitat module or two linked to various specialized military modules for station defense/local command and control, etc.

For this specific example I would just create a 'space station'(more like a missile pod) that consists of little more than a fire control and a box launcher or two to fire your survey missiles and then bolt it onto your ISS with a tractor link.
"In doing so, you will see things no human has ever seen before! It will be... fun! Assuming you're not vaporized, dissected, or otherwise killed in an assortment of supremely horrible and painful ways! Exciting, isn't it?"

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #2172 on: February 13, 2019, 03:12:01 AM »

You could also get around the no-military-systems limitation by creating a separate module for the station. In 7.1 I simulate large orbital space stations by creating a complex of complementary modules all linked by tractor beams - a large orbital habitat module or two linked to various specialized military modules for station defense/local command and control, etc.

For this specific example I would just create a 'space station'(more like a missile pod) that consists of little more than a fire control and a box launcher or two to fire your survey missiles and then bolt it onto your ISS with a tractor link.

What's next ? Apollo FTL telemetry links ? ^^

But yeah, that's a valid point, personally I prefer one big station however, but it's just a matter of taste, as a nebulous complex of smaller structures makes more sense than one big station.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2173 on: March 02, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »
So terraforming speed is reduced by a quarter for earth sized worlds? That doesn't go far enough in my opinion but is a start. I don't get why people say terraforming venus is impossible, really only takes a few decades with a few levels of terraforming tech and a dozen multi-million ton terraforming platforms.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2174 on: March 02, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »
So terraforming speed is reduced by a quarter for earth sized worlds? That doesn't go far enough in my opinion but is a start. I don't get why people say terraforming venus is impossible, really only takes a few decades with a few levels of terraforming tech and a dozen multi-million ton terraforming platforms.

Its reduced by 75% for Earth-size vs VB6 and reduced about 10% for Mars-size. It is faster for small planets and moons. There is the extra consideration of water now as well so the overall task will be larger if that doesn't exist.