Author Topic: Reloading XO racks  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Reloading XO racks
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »
How quickly can you load XO racks?  Are there any requirements in order to be able to reload (if all or most of your armor is damaged, etc)?

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Reloading XO racks
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:58:15 AM »
Quote from: "Tregonsee"
How quickly can you load XO racks?  Are there any requirements in order to be able to reload (if all or most of your armor is damaged, etc)?

IIRC an  XO rack takes 5 tactical turns to Reload.

You have to be drive down AND shields down to do it  (making realoading in a battle environment a VERY risky proposition - unless you like the idea of 5xMissile Damage).

Of course the XO must still be there - each point of damage inside sheilds (excepting damage caused by  P, N or ADMs) destroys 1 XO (loaded if avlaliable).  If you have suffered extensive Armour damage you are likely to have lost a number of your XOs - particularly at high TLs where you may have a lot of advanced armour as XOs are lost PER HIT, not per hull space.

In my experience, I have never reloaded XOs in a battle, only between battles, and if you have 1 interception turn between engagements, then you have enough time to reload as long as you can stand still for that time - which has never been a problem for me - the shortest delay between battles I have been involved with was 12 hours.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »
Well, I am in a situation where I am forcing my way through a defended WP.  I have killed everything on his side except for the mine fields and the Asteroid Forts / Long range fleet hanging out at 22 hexes lobbing Capital Missiles.

I wanted to know how long it would take to go back through the WP, take care of shields, load whatever XO I can, and head back through to help my pinned down (due to the minefield) CM-Armed BCs.

If I can relink ships in datalinks at the same time as well, all the more better.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »
You should be able to set up alternate links if you are reloading xo racks.  One of the other options that you can set up ahead of time is some basic alternate datalinks.  If for instance you have 24 bc of one type and 12 CA that could be fitted in to the link in a usefull manner (missile with missle, beam with beam etc) you can have that set up ahead of time so when a datagroup of bc's lose one ship they can add one of the ca's that were preset into the link.  This can be dangerous, in that the datagroup that is being pulled from just got more vulnerable to missiles possibly, but would help keep your firepower up.  This can be especially important for a long range missile duel as losing 1 ship from a datagroup means you probably don't have much chance for the other 2 to do much good against full point defence.  The time to switch to preset links is one round I think.  It has been a while though, and you might want to check out the rules.  The two relevent areas were the actual tech descriptions and the rules themselves about datlinks

Brian

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:59:36 PM »
The rule you want is 04.15.04 (according to my copy of the UTM).  Unfortunately, I don't have all my rulesets with me and I can't find the rule in the ones I have with me.
Welchbloke

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 05:07:06 AM »
Resetting Datalinks takes the same time as reloading XOs (5 Tac Turns) and is under the same restictions wrt sheilds & drives.  You ALSO cannot use any weapons or datalinked point def.   Note that the 5 turn duration is modified by crew grade.

It can be done at the same time as reloading the XOs.

Basically you will have the units out of the battle for about 8 turns (transit out t1, t2-6 reload & reconfigure, t7 reverse heading, t8 transit back) maybe a little quicker if they are elite or crack.

I had a house rule that CMs and other bigger missiles took proportionally longer to load up, so that if you loaded XOs with CM it took 10 tac turns, if you had one or more EDMs then that took 15 tac turns to get the ship ready.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
Thanks, all of that was helpful.  Now I have another question (which may have to go to another thread if I don't get an answer here):

In terms of battle management, I have to start shuttling ships off of the WP as they suffered a lot of damage from the minefield (see other thread).  Can ships go through a WP from both sides (incoming and outgoing) at the same time?

I would like to get damaged ships away from the bad guys and still bring in new ships to help with the battle.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
Thanks, all of that was helpful.  Now I have another question (which may have to go to another thread if I don't get an answer here):

In terms of battle management, I have to start shuttling ships off of the WP as they suffered a lot of damage from the minefield (see other thread).  Can ships go through a WP from both sides (incoming and outgoing) at the same time?

I would like to get damaged ships away from the bad guys and still bring in new ships to help with the battle.
Yes they can go in both directions.  The limit is one way.  You can have six ships transit from system A to B and 6 more go from B to A without risking a simultaneous transit.

Just remember that the informational loop is about 3 turns.  One turn for the ships to transit, a second for information to be passed and then a third turn for action to be taken.  This is actually incredibly fast all things considered.

Brian

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:07:45 AM »
Well, I am in a situation where I am forcing my way through a defended WP.  I have killed everything on his side except for the mine fields and the Asteroid Forts / Long range fleet hanging out at 22 hexes lobbing Capital Missiles.

I wanted to know how long it would take to go back through the WP, take care of shields, load whatever XO I can, and head back through to help my pinned down (due to the minefield) CM-Armed BCs.

If I can relink ships in datalinks at the same time as well, all the more better.

Silly question - have you unloaded the missiles first? (The missiles to be loaded onto the XO racks, that is.)

Otherwise you've got to unload them first (at 1 csp/H - unless tractors/pressors are used), which will be take the longest time...
Later,
Matt

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:31:15 AM »
Unfortunately I haven't.  However, I intend to have ships with tractors and missiles out on my side of the WP the next time that it happens.  I almost feel like this is going to be a scene from the movie Ice Pirates; there is fighting, and there are people right behind the fighters fixing and reloading, and then the fight starts up again...