Author Topic: spoiler equipment  (Read 4759 times)

Offline linkxsc (OP)

• Commander
spoiler equipment
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
Hey there. So Ive been doing a little work on my laptop to update 1 of the wiki pages. The 1 that shows the rp requirements for like 1/2 the techs. Was planning on finishing that out, and adding some notes to it. (Eg. Missile launcher reload 6 gets you 5 sec reload size 1 launchers. A rather important tech milestone. Cap recharge 3 results in 5 sec cycling 10cm lasers and rails)

So for working on this though, I smed in and gave myself all techs to start. Noticed in doing this it gave me all of the "advanced" weapon techs, plasma torpedo techs, absorption shields and whatnot. However there is no box to actually design any of the tech other than absorption shields, and for those, all the dropdowns refuse to work.

Now its not an issue, ive personally never come across them in my game. But Im just wondering. Is it that these tech only become available for design if you come across them in game (similar to dwarf fortress wont let you use magma forges etc, until you actually come across a supply of it, you cant just hack in a few tiles of it to use.) Or is my game just bugged?

Offline iceball3

• Captain
Re: spoiler equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
I think they are precursor and possibly Extra Galactic invader designs, such as from really rare Xenology findings.  I haven't gotten them yet myself, though.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:10 PM »
I remember in the last few updates ago that there was a box for plasma torpedoes, but I can't find it either. And I believe that the "advanced" versions are under the same box as the "normal" but are selected in the dropdown (I'll have to check when I get advanced parts). Don't quote me on that though because I might be wrong on that.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline linkxsc (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:14:06 PM »
Well i remember the plasma torpedo box also. But its strange to me that even though according to the game, the techs are unlocked, i cant use them.

Not that I want then for any regular gameplay myself. But if a player were trying to rp a few empires, 1 of them being technologically superior. It seems a little problematic that one cant sm the equipment in.

Also glancing through. The description for advanced railguns is nice and explanatory, but advanced lasers and carronades dont actually say whats different about them

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »
Plasma shouldn't be in there. I'll remove it for the next version. The issue with plasma torpedoes was that they were inexhaustible but not strong enough to take down the shields of Swarm mothership, which led to endless interruptions. The weapon itself was fine but it didn't work in terms of NPR interactions. At some point I'll design new weapons for the invaders that don't have the same issue.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 03:49:06 PM »
Also glancing through. The description for advanced railguns is nice and explanatory, but advanced lasers and carronades dont actually say whats different about them
If I remember right, it changes the power and range like the regular focal size but with a smaller package (ie advanced 15cm = regular 25cm [not accurate but you get the idea]).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:51:28 PM »
Is it that these tech only become available for design if you come across them in game (similar to dwarf fortress wont let you use magma forges etc, until you actually come across a supply of it, you cant just hack in a few tiles of it to use.) Or is my game just bugged?
Magma forges are buildable by players, the prerequisite is you need to dig down and discover the magma sea or find a volcano, I think if you cheat and use DF hack it doesn't count, then you just need a magma safe stone and a hole containing 4/7 or more magma under any tile but the center.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline linkxsc (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:28 AM »
Yes i know this. I df all the time. What i am asking is if the advanced equipment acts the same way. Only appearing as buildable after coming across it in game?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »
From earlier threads I got the impression that you needed to disassemble a significant quantity of each before finally getting the tech, but I could be wrong.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »
From earlier threads I got the impression that you needed to disassemble a significant quantity of each before finally getting the tech, but I could be wrong.
But he is saying that he has the tech but has no place in the design tech window to design the tech. He's asking if you have to do something else to unlock the ability to design "advanced" techs.

Offline linkxsc (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 03:32:38 PM »
Sorry glancing through, you cant actually sm yourself the techs it appears. I had been clicking on the "all techs" radio button and seeing them. Not the "completed techs"