Author Topic: Tugs, shore leave, comets  (Read 1269 times)

Offline nitrah (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • n
Tugs, shore leave, comets
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:43:45 AM »
I'm running my first real game right now after playing around for a few matches, and have come up with a few issues and questions:

1) I have built up a battlefleet to take on some ships in a system next door that are in orbit of a planet around a binary that is almost 25 Billion km away from the primary star.  Most of my fleet had enough fuel to get there and back, but I designed a laser skirmisher destroyer with overpowered engines that only has a range of just over 13 Billion.  I was hoping to design a tug with efficient engines that would link to it and drag it to within 2 billion km and release it once it got near the combat zone.  This didn't work, however, and I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the game or if I did something wrong.  I went into the ship list, and established a tractor link.  The game pulled the tractored ship into the tugs task group.  Still, when I set off, the towed ship was using its engines along with the tug, burning a tank of fuel every 20 days.  I then tried draining the tanks entirely to see if it would tow it then, and that didn't work either.  I got interrupts that the fleet was out of fuel.  Am I missing something, or is the tractor beam only useful for ships with no engines?

2) Is there a way to automate shoreleave? If I have a commercial fuel harvester fleet that is designed to fill its tanks in 16 months with an 18 month deployment, is there a way to automate a month of shoreleave after it returns to drop off its load at home? It is really tiring needing to manually clear default orders when it returns and then remember to turn it back on once the crew is rested.

3) Is there a way to turn off comet names in the system map? I like playing with comets relatively plentiful (set to 8 min), but the names muddy up the system display.

Thanks,

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Re: Tugs, shore leave, comets
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
Ad 1 - I have no idea, tugging something with fuel was always bugged iirc.

Ad 2 - shore leave counts only for military ships, commercials can ignore it.

Ad 3 - No. :(
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline nitrah (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • n
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »
Re #2: really? I can burn fuel harvester and asteroid miner morale down to 25% and it doesn't affect their output at all?

As a side effect, there is no reason to have more than 3 month deployment time on all commercial ships?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:58:38 AM by nitrah »

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:15 AM »
1) Tugging is mostly done to give additional speed to some slow ship. You can just add a big tanker with the attack group and tell them to go to point 2M from the target. While on the way, use "Balance fuel" while on the way and then "Refuel from tankers" at the dividing point.

The following users thanked this post: nitrah

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
Re #2: really? I can burn fuel harvester and asteroid miner morale down to 25% and it doesn't affect their output at all?

As a side effect, there is no reason to have more than 3 month deployment time on all commercial ships?

IIRC morale counts only when performing action that needs a dice roll. Commercial vessels perform no said action so its irrelevant. And yes, 3 months is enough.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

The following users thanked this post: nitrah

Offline nitrah (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • n
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Quote from: Detros link=topic=9673. msg104149#msg104149 date=1505233035
1) Tugging is mostly done to give additional speed to some slow ship.  You can just add a big tanker with the attack group and tell them to go to point 2M from the target.  While on the way, use "Balance fuel" while on the way and then "Refuel from tankers" at the dividing point.

That's what I ended up doing.  Would have made more if I would have known I couldn't tug the ship though.  My math was telling me I would get to the front with around 75%, but it's closer to 60% which makes me a little nervous.  Luckily, my tankers are also fuel harvesters, so I can drain a gas giant if things go poorly.