Author Topic: Replacing PDCs  (Read 84580 times)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Replacing PDCs
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2017, 12:02:20 AM »
Now, you say that these tanks are often brought into urban environments for a combat role. First, what moron would do that,
The same morons that gave an alien species that had advanced technology watermelons at first contact because that is what they thought an image of them taking away a planet from them meant (yes, this is canonical).

the top is vulnerable.
Assumption, not fact. The Top of Scorpion tanks are actually quite well protected because it was designed that way because adapting lore from FPS titles is tricky for people for some reason (it had equal protection all round except for one variant having a weak spot on its butt).

Second, if your choice is a tank, which can be knocked out from above while also not likely to be able to elevate its gun high enough to retaliate,
Again, assumptions. The tank in question has its turret quite elevated above its hull, about 2 meters high. It is a remote control turret and has quite a lot of elevation and depression available to it. IIRC I have seen it when the canon was almost vertical because the tank was targeting an airborne light target.

or a gun ship that is apparently much more sturdy and likely to survive enemy fire in all directions and can answer with a rapid fire 30mm cannon straight to the face of the offender, why are you not using the gunship? It's the obviously superior choice due to ease of response, speed of response and likelihood of survival to make said response.
For a few reasons; The Vultures are very expensive to build and maintain while the tanks are not. The Vulture is built at a dedicated facility while the tanks can be built from most automotive factories if given the right parts. Also, the Vulture can't fit into a city street. Again, it is 25m wide while the tank is only 8m wide. And cities in the UEG are very tall (a "small" tower would give the Burj Hhalifa an inferiority complex) The final reason is because the Vulture has a lot of bad press to it when fighting the insurgents as it is seen as extreme overkill (which then fuels reasons for more people to join the insurgents which then makes the cycle continue).

Look, I'm confused because the way you talk about the Vulture it's the obviously superior option for all roles normally filled by tanks. It's faster, it's tougher and it throws more boom at the enemy. Sufficiently so in fact, that it's a wonder the UNSC still uses tanks instead of turning over all their tasks to Vulture gunships.
Like warships, Vultures could only be built so quickly. Tanks on the other hand, the UNSC could roll dozens of them off the assembly lines a day. The reason they don't ramp up production of the Vultures is lot on me as well. Most of the books and sources besides the video games are all pretty much focused on the space battles, Spartans, and sometimes the Insurgents. Could very well be that they repurposed the majority of the Vulture production facilities int producing actual warships to stop the Covenant in space instead of waiting to fight them until they are on the ground. They are just like this. For another thing, they are trying to push an advanced fighter design with twin 30mm Gatling guns and a missile system to replace their current fighter design which has 2 110mm Gatling cannons (yes, you read that right) and a 120mm dorsal turret with a 360 degree rotation on top of the bomb/missile bay. Oh, and that older design also goes faster than the "advanced" design, and is a lot tougher. Yah, it sounds stupid doesn't it?

Everything that you can do to a 30mm rotary cannon weapon system with such advanced technology you can do with missiles. In fact, the only way a 30mm cannon can be a better option than the much beefier warhead offered by an ATM is if all tank armour is if reactive armour that is guaranteed to perfectly defend against the first impact but the underlying armour cannot defend against 30mm shells.
Question; would you rather build Anti-Tank missiles when your enemies tank is quite vulnerable to most things and usually lacks a large amount of AA cover, or Anti-Ship missiles to blow up that enemy in space before they reach the ground?

~snip~
Fine, I'll stop with my analogies as they seem to be getting taken out of context when I use them.

Sure, your sci-fi magic plane could be better armored than an M1 Abrams.  But a tank made by the same culture as the magic plane could be even heavier armored.  You say anti-gravity will allow aircraft to be much more heavily armored.  Why can this not also be applied to tanks?  Maybe TN tanks hover several inches off the ground thanks to an anti-gravity generator?  Maybe they still use treads, but an anti-grav generator compensates for 90% of the weight, making it much more mobile than it's sheer size would suggest.  Maybe it uses shields instead of armor?
As we have had this discussion I will cut it short. I agree. Its that simple. A "tank" would benefit from most technologies a "plane" would. Yes, I understand that. I was pointing out what "could" be, and I could be wrong myself. I was just using an example to act as an analogy for what I was trying to say.

The over-penetration argument doesn't work.  If you have a 100mm dual-purpose AA/AT cannon, you don't fire your AT rounds at planes, nor your AA rounds at tanks.  You fire an HE round with a really sensitive fuse at aerial targets, and an AP round at armored ground targets.  This is not a TN-tech only problem either, dual-purpose field guns like the Flak 88 et al were very common in WW2 and did exactly what I describe above.  Yes, it takes a different ammo type but unless you want Aurora to track that as well, this is extraneous.
Again, I agree. I was simply rage posting that his logic on the survivability of planes was flawed somewhat. I have 2 assignments and a test due tomorrow (technically later today as it just past 1:00 am), and another due the next day. I'm just very tired as I was balancing that with a busy weekend attending a wedding and doing other things. Off to bed.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2017, 02:06:30 AM »
While an interesting discussion, maybe take the Halo argument into a seperate thread from the ground forces rework? Because it doesn't really seem to factor into what Steve is currently working on... at all.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2017, 08:11:27 AM »
Blast it, Steve!  You did almost exactly what I wanted, which takes all the fun out of thinking about how I could have done it better!

Seriously, this looks really good.  I'm kicking myself for not thinking of the forward observer thing. 

And seriously, can we stop arguing about halo?  I'm definitely with Garfunkel on this.  I suspect that line-of-sight considerations will tend to work against really big aircraft, no matter how heavily armored, unless you're talking about using actual space warships.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2017, 08:52:22 AM »
I suspect that line-of-sight considerations will tend to work against really big aircraft, no matter how heavily armored, unless you're talking about using actual space warships.
I was. They are essentially space warships that are not rated for a vacuum. They are like a Corvette/FAC but are tied to either a carrier in "low orbit" (ships there are capable of atmospheric flight) or an airbase/dockyard. I think the main problem was it getting equated it to a "plane".

But yah, I agree further discussion of this should be moved.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
I was. They are essentially space warships that are not rated for a vacuum. They are like a Corvette/FAC but are tied to either a carrier in "low orbit" (ships there are capable of atmospheric flight) or an airbase/dockyard. I think the main problem was it getting equated it to a "plane".

But yah, I agree further discussion of this should be moved.
Why wouldn't you space-rate it?  I'd think that would be the best way to implement them in Aurora.  At TN tech, getting into orbit isn't a huge deal, and we can leverage existing mechanics.  Fit it with small engines if you want to RP it as being mostly limited to atmospheric flight, and carry it between planets in hangars.
Edit:
How will spaceship integration work?  If we assume traditional TN engines don't work well in an atmosphere/planetary gravity well, then we need some form of planetary engines.  Unless you're wanting really high maneuverability, this is probably going to just be a fixed fraction of the ship's size, kind of like Jump Drives.  And I can see normal weapons not being optimized for planetary combat, so maybe we can have 'planetary' versions of those.  The big difference might be limited range (lasers above UV don't penetrate atmosphere well, and really high-velocity projectiles will just blow up/burn up).  This lets us build big support ships.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:00:15 AM by byron »
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
If "Static" units are meant to represent towed AT or artillery, what will represent larger structures like missile silos, air bases, bunkers, pillboxes, and other fortified structures?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »
If "Static" units are meant to represent towed AT or artillery, what will represent larger structures like missile silos, air bases, bunkers, pillboxes, and other fortified structures?
They are being removed. Hence why I was arguing for them to stay (long before the halo thing).

Offline Spacemonkey969

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »
I have a couple ideas for this post I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Replace PDC's with an infrastructure type building that give me the ground forces a defense bonus.   It could be so that the each defense infrastructure building covers a set amount of force and the rest don't get a bonus, or do it so that all units get a small increase.    This could be RPed as bases and bunkers and so forth.

Also to add some flavor to ground combat instead of unit health break it up into number of personnel and equipment.  As a unit is engaged in combat taking losses it lowers those values and lowers combat effectiveness.   This could also be the numbers that troop transports can move since units are listed as battalions and we can build transports that move companies.   It would show the numbers of a battalion at each location.   Then when it comes time for a unit that's taking losses to replenish the need to be in a friendly area or have a slice in friendly area like a Rear Detachment that gets the fresh supplies and troops that either need transported to the combat planet or front lines.   Manpower can come from a pool much like ship crew and equipment can come from msp.   Equipment is to represent rifles, trucks, tanks, parts, radios, and so on.

This could also work for training new battalions you designate the type of unit you want and it starts pulling troops and resources until strength is at 100% for the unit type some needing more equipment then men and the like.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
Invidual units, equipment and artillery are a rather bit too detailed for a 4x game like Aurora that already is micromanage-intensive.
Ground units summarized into Battalions, Regiments and HQ's are sufficient and conveniently leaves forementioned details for player's imagination.

Offline Spacemonkey969

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2017, 07:36:05 PM »
I'm not the best with expressing my ideas in writing, I dont mean individual equipment but a number representing the the battalions equipment strength at a location.  We dobt have to name each soldier but if you say a Infantry battalion with 4 companies should have around 400 (not real number) and if you build a ship with a troop transport to move a company (which you can already do) it moves about 100 soldiers and 25% of the battalions equipment.

A battle report could look like 1st Light Inf lost 40 Soldiers and 10% Equipment.

The number of msp for equipment and soldiers required could be different for different battalion types.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »
This could be like the current option in the ship design window to change sizes between "tons" and "Hull Sizes".  You could have a toggle on any screen that shows ground units to switch between percentages and absolute numbers.

So say a battalion could normally contain 1000 men, after some fighting the ground combat window could say 750 men fit for service or it could be toggled to 75% strength.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2017, 09:18:45 PM »
I think that steves way of having a certain number of units in a formation is fairly reasonable.  That way you can fabricate armored vehicles somewhere, and then bring them elsewhere and train crews into them.

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2017, 10:30:09 PM »
There will be a lot more infantry units in a formation than an equivalent vehicle formation so total HP may be higher. Also, Infantry units can be fortified, which makes them harder to hit.

Static is a weapon that is not mounted on a vehicle. Towed anti-tank or towed artillery for example.

Will infantry fortification be automatic? Even in an invasion scenario where the overall force is in offensive posture, individual infantry units are going to hunker down when facing armor or air attack. It might be both easier (from a coding perspective) and maybe more accurate for them to be automatically harder to hit against vehicles.

Will range of different weapons/units be part of the mechanics? If so, infantry becomes very deadly to armor (and enemy close air support to a lesser extent) at close range, but completely ineffective at distance. This may, or may not, matter depending on what level of abstraction the combat is resolved, but I hope the results give the proper appearance.

Sure, your sci-fi magic plane could be better armored than an M1 Abrams.  But a tank made by the same culture as the magic plane could be even heavier armored.  You say anti-gravity will allow aircraft to be much more heavily armored.  Why can this not also be applied to tanks?  Maybe TN tanks hover several inches off the ground thanks to an anti-gravity generator?  Maybe they still use treads, but an anti-grav generator compensates for 90% of the weight, making it much more mobile than it's sheer size would suggest.  Maybe it uses shields instead of armor?

In my imagination, the battalions in my current game have already gone full Hammer's Slammers with the hover-tanks
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:57:06 PM by obsidian_green »

MJOne

« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2017, 11:54:33 PM »
Just to remind everyone.  PDCs sole role is to defend a planet from enemy ships and their bombardment, not footsoldiers.  The logistical and maintenance overhead by removing them will make it obvious to all how important they are.  Do you want a fleet at every planet in every system???
PDCs gives the navy a chance to respond.  If the enemy has a couple of hours lead time on your navy heading for one of your planets.  GL!

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2017, 12:10:57 AM »
Fortification should be automatic for low levels.  All you need for even a fairly advanced trench network, complete with wooden bunkers, is an entrenching tool and time.  It should require no player-input, and slowly ramp up while units are "stationary".  I know there's no actual map that the units move on, but you can base it on some kind of "progress" abstraction.  Like, the fortification level decreases as the ratio of forces changes.  Both sides can only use their fortifications while they're fighting near where they were built.  If one side starts to lose, BOTH sides lose any fortifications they've made.  The defenders would sabotage their bunker complexes as they flee, the attackers would need to leave their fox holes and trenches to give chase.  So basically the only time fortifications should increase are when the war is stalemated.  Which can be approximated by tracking the rate of change of the ratio between the two forces, minus reinforcements.  What I would do is I would perform combat calculations, see who came out on top, and if it was fairly even, increase the fortification for both sides.  If it was uneven, both sides fortifications should decrease to simulate the fighting moving on.  Then I would add any reinforcements that had arrived, and then the cycle repeats.

It should NOT be automatic for high levels.  Building concrete or TN-level fortifications should require economic investment.  They didn't build the Atlantic Wall with just E-tools and elbow grease after all.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:13:48 AM by Barkhorn »