Author Topic: Replacing PDCs  (Read 84390 times)

Offline FrederickAlexander

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
Re: Replacing PDCs
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »
Looking at the proposed redesign I am very much looking forward to it. Though I do have a number of questions about it.

Why are the only units capable of being used in advanced formation are Combat Walker(or super-heavy vehicles) and vehicles are the only ones in advanced formations? Why not allow infantry unit be able to use said formation such as ODST, rangers or some other kind special forces be allowed to be on advanced formtaions with a harder chance to hit but a lower requirement for them to withdraw.

Would units with replacement be required to have the unit type and subtype or would they be able to replace any type of unit regardless of unit type? I kinda dislike the idea of a unarmored infantry battalion being able to reinforce an aircraft or heavy vehicle battalion.

Would it be possible to have Stealth components that allow units to reduce the amount of incoming fire? This could be placed in a units ability but it could be used as a component that scales up with cloaking tech level and is unlocked through cloaking.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:32:52 PM by FrederickAlexander »

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
Looks very good overall, although I have a couple of comments/questions/suggestions.
1. Let's say I want a balanced infantry unit.  Mostly anti-infantry, with a bit of anti-vehicle and light bombardment thrown in.  Can I make this in a single battalion?
2. There could be a few more types of slots.  Some that spring to mind are mobility (or incorporate that somehow), recon, EW and C3I.  Also, mechanized infantry might be a good thing to add for vehicles to carry.
3. Are there restrictions on the types of weapons a unit can carry?  Infantry with heavy bombardment seems like a contradiction.
I'm sure I'll have more later.  Overall, this looks fantastic.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »
Looks very good overall, although I have a couple of comments/questions/suggestions.
1. Let's say I want a balanced infantry unit.  Mostly anti-infantry, with a bit of anti-vehicle and light bombardment thrown in.  Can I make this in a single battalion?
2. There could be a few more types of slots.  Some that spring to mind are mobility (or incorporate that somehow), recon, EW and C3I.  Also, mechanized infantry might be a good thing to add for vehicles to carry.
3. Are there restrictions on the types of weapons a unit can carry?  Infantry with heavy bombardment seems like a contradiction.
I'm sure I'll have more later.  Overall, this looks fantastic.

As things stand, infantry only have one slot. The intention though is this to be about combined arms, so you could create a brigade with a couple of 'normal' infantry units, a infantry-based anti-tank unit and an infantry-based bombardment unit. Could also make the HQ a vehicle and add some anti-air to the HQ. I think I am going to allow different size units, with HQ commanding a total size of units rather than total numbers. So you could have mainly infantry battalions but with some smaller formations providing different capabilities at brigade or division level.

Recon is a good idea. That could be used to identify specific hostile units so they can be targeted (as opposed to targeting all units in a position). Mechanised infantry could potentially be represented by a vehicle unit with anti-personnel capabilities, or just use two smaller units, one infantry-based and one vehicle-based.

No restrictions on weapons at the moment. I envisioned infantry-based anti-vehicle or heavy bombardment as being the equivalent of towed anti-tank guns or howitzers (as opposed to self-propelled). I guess the infantry definition could be changed to infantry / small vehicle, vehicle would become large vehicle and combat walker to super-heavy vehicle. Still in the early stages so open to change yet.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2017, 03:57:48 PM »
Are ground-based fortifications going to be represented in any way?

With PDC's going away it makes me wonder what advantage the defenders will have.

As mentioned above, you can use combat engineers to create ground-based fortifications.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
Looking at the proposed redesign I am very much looking forward to it. Though I do have a number of questions about it.

Why are the only units capable of being used in advanced formation are Combat Walker(or super-heavy vehicles) and vehicles are the only ones in advanced formations? Why not allow infantry unit be able to use said formation such as ODST, rangers or some other kind special forces be allowed to be on advanced formtaions with a harder chance to hit but a lower requirement for them to withdraw.

Would units with replacement be required to have the unit type and subtype or would they be able to replace any type of unit regardless of unit type? I kinda dislike the idea of a unarmored infantry battalion being able to reinforce an aircraft or heavy vehicle battalion.

Would it be possible to have Stealth components that allow units to reduce the amount of incoming fire? This could be placed in a units ability but it could be used as a component that scales up with cloaking tech level and is unlocked through cloaking.

I wanted to create some differentiation between unit types. Infantry-based units can be fortified whereas vehicle and combat walker units can be used for breakthrough attacks (by placing them in the advance position). Some type of special forces operating 'behind the lines' might an option though.

My intention is that replacement units will be have to be the same type. So if you build a formation using a 'Medium Tank' unit, you will need a formation with 'Medium Tanks' for replacements. If I do this, I will probably split the individual unit design and formation design.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
You mention terrain-specific modifiers. How will terrain be handled? Will the planet be assigned a single terrain type, or be divided into zones based on planet type, surface water percentage, etc?

Will there be a representation of territory controlled by each side, perhaps in simple percentages? Will that have an impact on enemy populations, factories, mines, stockpiles, etc? If so, will there be a speed/mobility stat for the various unit types? This paragraph may add a bit too much complexity, though.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »
You mention terrain-specific modifiers. How will terrain be handled? Will the planet be assigned a single terrain type, or be divided into zones based on planet type, surface water percentage, etc?

Will there be a representation of territory controlled by each side, perhaps in simple percentages? Will that have an impact on enemy populations, factories, mines, stockpiles, etc? If so, will there be a speed/mobility stat for the various unit types? This paragraph may add a bit too much complexity, though.

For the moment, I am assuming a dominant terrain type for the whole planet, although this may be a combination of terrain (mountainous-jungle for example). I haven't decided exactly how to do this yet though. Tectonics and Age will drive some form of mountainous rating, hydrosphere extent will be used for water, and I will come up with some form of terrain based on environmental conditions (forest, jungle, tundra, etc.). Temperature will be another factor and perhaps radiation.

Mobility/speed will play a part in three ways. Chance to hit, length of time in an advance positions to achieve a  breakthrough and suitability for terrain (vehicles will not be less useful in jungle for example). Details TBD.

I am aiming for variety and a real flavour of combined arms but I don't want to get involved in percentages of territory or different areas of terrain. The Advance position and breakthrough mechanics are being used as a substitute for actual movement.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2017, 06:00:46 PM »
A high level update on the new ground combat system. This isn't really about the detail, as I am still sorting that out, but more about some of the overall concepts.

One big constraint will be the question of upgrades.

That is to say, will the system work on the old VB6 system where researching a tech caused an empire wide instant upgrade in combat capacity, or will it become like with ships and stations, where you need to put a unit back into a Ground Forces Training Facility to upgrade their equipment, or convert them to cadre?

If it's the latter it might end up a little expensive if large ground armies become a thing.

My direction at the moment is to have a component system for ground unit design (which will replace all existing units including Titans). There are four base unit types (Infantry, Vehicle, Combat Walker, Aircraft), each of which has several sub-types based on the level of armour. 'Combat Walker' in this context is down to player interpretation. Could be a WH40K Titan or a Star Wars AT-AT, etc.). At the moment, my list comprises:

*snip unit type list*

You are missing wet navy units. While this could also be done through a component rather than a unit type, the usefulness of wet navy units should not be underestimated, especially submersible units. Planets are big so a single unit can be hard to find, but planets with a large hydrosphere extent have plenty of places for a submarine to hide also, and those are even harder to trace. The exact mechanics are up to you, of course, but I was thinking a variable combat modifier depending on the hydrosphere extent of the relative body, and severe penalties actually doing damage against a wet navy unit without some form of ASW equipped unit on planet.

With this more involved may also become interesting to consider the concept of under water infrastructure, low gravity infrastructure, and the effects such concepts have on ground warfare. While this should not increase the maximum population capacity of a planet beyond its maximum, it may impact how much population capacity is closed off by excessively large hydrospheres, for example.

Finally, because otherwise there's no point to 4th level ground commanders, I propose a Planetary Defense Command unit type (chosen specifically so the acronym is confusing to old players) commanded by a 4th level commander. In the case of multiple PDCs on planet the one with the senior most commander leads the defenses.

The armour strength (ARM) is a baseline, which is modified by the best available racial armour tech. So, an advanced civilisation may have 'light' vehicles with better armour than the 'medium' or even 'heavy' vehicles of a lower tech civilisation.

This is quite realistic.

Each base type has 1-3 component slots (Infantry 1, Vehicles & Aircraft 2, Walkers 3). This components can be combat-related or support-related. This list (so far) includes: *snip list of components*

A 'seaborne,' 'transport' or 'submersible' component would be quite appropriate, as might be a 'special forces' component for infantry. Also, I'm making a guess here but an Orbital Fire Support Controller should probably be needed for targeting ground troops that's not as likely to get your own units killed as those of the enemy, as well as limiting facility damage.

So for example, you could create a 'Medium Tank' using a Medium Vehicle with Medium Anti Vehicle and Medium Anti-Personnel. Or a 'Tank Destroyer' by going heavy armour and double anti-vehicle, etc.. The non-combat related functions will function in a similar way to now. Logistics will be a ground unit that is slowly consumed over time by other friendly units, acting as a form of ground unit supply. Orbital Fire Support Controller will be able to direct the fire of ships in orbit to support ground forces.

Will logistics units be consumed on friendly planets/ships? Because that would be a micromanagement bother.

The light, medium, heavy concepts for weapons are based on rate of fire and armour penetration. So a light weapon will fire more often and therefore engage more targets, while a heavier weapon will fire more slowly but have a higher chance of destroying the target. Essentially, you will need light weapons against numerous, lightly armoured targets and heavy weapons against armoured opponents. Penetration and rate of fire will also be affected by base racial technology in weapons and capacitor recharge rates. I might combine some of the anti-personnel and anti-vehicle descriptions as (for example) heavy anti-personnel and light anti-vehicle may not be that different.

When it comes to infantry weaponry, the major division between light, medium and heavy equipment is how much it actually weighs, rather than rate of fire and accuracy, generally speaking, if you hit someone with a bullet he's either dead or combat ineffective, while portable anti tank and anti air weapons tend to hit harder and further as they get heavier. Technology has evolved to the point that for infantry the question isn't one of rate of fire as much as how much they can physically carry with them.

For vehicles, the question is mostly one of combat endurance and cost. Heavier weapons are more expensive to field and will have less munition to fire. This imposes a heavier logistical burden.

Also, the line between heavy anti personnel weaponry and light anti vehicle weaponry is rather blurred. Most weapons that will destroy or heavily damage lightly armoured or unarmoured vehicles are perfectly serviceable in an anti personnel role, and often employed in such a role for extra range or to deal with infantry in particularly good cover.

This paradigm might change in the face of Trans-Newtonian technology of course.

Ground combat will now take place in the same time frame as ship combat, with each unit firing at specified intervals (except that time won't slow for ground combat - it will instead run multiple cycles depending on turn length). It will still take a while for ground combat though as hit chances will be very low.

I foresee turns sometimes taking very long times as NPRs try to deal with ground combat in a far of corner of the galaxy.

Ground unit design will have an individual unit type and a formation type. For example, you might design an 'Armoured Battalion' formation with the unit type as the 'Panther Tank'. There will be a set number of units within a formation and they will fire and take damage individually. So you may start with 50 Panther Tanks in each Armoured Battalion but after combat, some will be damaged and some destroyed. These can be repaired or replaced. Each unit will have a size, so the size of a formation will be number of units x unit size. I haven't decided yet whether to allow units of any size or have a 'battalion size' and have a number of units that will fit within that size. In the case of the former, then Brigade HQs would have a total command size, rather than commanding a set number of units. This would also allow minor units, such as a mortar company (light infantry - light bombardment) held at Brigade level.

I would advise in the case of a 'command size' paradigm that you allow HQ units to have a 'command size' for total maximum number of companies under their command, including lower level subordinate HQ companies and their assets, and a smaller 'Division/Brigade/Battalion level asset' limit. PDCs as I propose them have no command size limit but a very strict PDC asset limit to indicate the companies dedicated to their physical protection. This may cause some degree of havoc when it comes to designing troop transports though.

Likewise for organizational reasons I think it's best to stick to a 'battalion/HQ level' training paradigm. A unit that's converted to cadre will leave their equipment behind (1 ton transport capacity required per build point to ship, reclaimable like most equipment) and can either be assigned to a GFTF for training with new equipment compatible with the cadre, offering a small discount depending on cadre type, or used to create a new unit with an equipment pile in a month. This would also mean that construction/ordnance/fighter factories can produce ground equipment to shorten training times similar to how construction factories can build ship components to shorten shipyard construction time.

Within combat, each formation can be placed in one of four positions. Advance, Front-line, Support or Rear Echelon (names might changes). The default position for any formation is Front-line. Front-line formations will engage in direct combat and can be given orders regarding the type of enemy unit to target (as combat takes place, information will be provided about the base types of enemy units engaged).

A number of formations not exceeding the number of front lines units can be placed in the Support position. This would typically be bombardment or headquarters units, or a resting combat formation. Any ground-based unit (infantry, vehicle, combat walker) in the support position can use its bombardment strength against enemy units in the opposing front-line position or may be allocated to counter-battery fire against enemy units bombarding from a support position.

A number of formations not exceeding the number of support units can be placed in the Rear Echelon position. This would typically be aircraft, ground-to-orbit, logistics, repair or replacement units. Any aircraft in any position can target any enemy position, although it can be engaged by each position which it attacks or passes over. So an aircraft attacking the support units of an enemy can be engaged by anti-air units in the front-line or support positions I will probably make this any anti-air unit in the same hierarchy (divisional or brigade).

A number of Vehicle or Combat Walker formations may be assigned to the Advance position. This cannot exceed the number of front-line units. These formations are attempting to break through the enemy front-line formations. If they can maintain their advance position for a certain amount of time (TBD) without being forced to withdraw (withdrawal will be based on casualties and formation morale), they will be considered to have broken through the enemy lines and will be able to either attack support formations directly, or attack front-line formations with double strength (flanking them). After another specified amount of time (TBD), they can also choose to attack rear echelon units directly, or support units / front-line units at double strength. Any unit in an advance position will be identified by name and type to the enemy and can be attacked specifically (as opposed to just targeting a position).

Given our inability to micromanage ground combat to the same extent as space combat we should be able to define 2 stances from 3 different sets of stances. These sets are Offensive, Defensive and Miscellaneous. These stances determine what the ground commanders emphasize, offering certain bonuses and penalties based on where the focus lies. Rock/Paper/Scissors mechanics single out certain stances as being more or less effective against specific other stances. A 'Hardened Line' defense stance for example might be very good against a 'Massed Assault' offensive stance but weak against a 'Spearpoint Assault' offensive stance, while 'Spearpoint Assault' is poor against a 'Defense in Depth' defensive stance. You may want to raid Hearts of Iron's tactics system for ideas and/or names.

Miscellaneous stances aren't directly part of the rock paper scissors system, but modify things like fortification speed, unit replacement, supply and a few other things.

With the reworking of the ground combat mechanics there's also no reason to stick to the offense/defense divide as previously, where some unit types were very cheap and effective defense but useless on the attack (hello Garrison Battalions).

Infantry formations can be fortified. This can done to a minimal level by the formation itself, given sufficient time, or enhanced further by combat engineer units. This will greatly improve the formation's resistance to damage.

Likewise fortifiable are HQ units and CIWS/Ground-to-Orbit units, as these are units likely to stay in one place for extended periods of time. Fortifications should however be capable of being demolished in general combat, or more rapidly by enemy combat engineers/heavy bombardment units.

CIWS and Ground to Orbit units will be based on existing naval weapons, along with sufficient costs for reactors, fire control, etc.. They will not be able to attack in ground combat but will defend based on their base unit type.

This can get kinda broken if this means that Heavy Walker GtO units have a way to strike back instead of just being able to ignore being attacked.

In addition to the components, units will also have abilities that modify their cost and their combat strength in different circumstances. This will include boarding combat, extreme temperature combat, mountainous terrain, ocean terrain, etc.

Sensible, and some of my ideas on unit type and component would perhaps better fit here.

Garrison Strength will be heavily based on the number of units in a formation, so a light infantry formation, will be a more effective garrison unit than a heavy armour formation, despite being considerably cheaper.

A squad of boots on the ground right in front of someone does tend to leave more of an impression than hearing there's a tank 500 kilometers away.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
Recon is a good idea. That could be used to identify specific hostile units so they can be targeted (as opposed to targeting all units in a position). Mechanised infantry could potentially be represented by a vehicle unit with anti-personnel capabilities, or just use two smaller units, one infantry-based and one vehicle-based.

Or as a separate early TN infantry unit type. If power armour infantry gets the same stats but cheaper after a certain technological development level there'd be reason to switch over. Another option would be to create a 'Transport' trait, which allows vehicles and air units to carry infantry units into a Breakthrough position

No restrictions on weapons at the moment. I envisioned infantry-based anti-vehicle or heavy bombardment as being the equivalent of towed anti-tank guns or howitzers (as opposed to self-propelled). I guess the infantry definition could be changed to infantry / small vehicle, vehicle would become large vehicle and combat walker to super-heavy vehicle. Still in the early stages so open to change yet.

Leg infantry isn't really a thing in modern military thinking. Hasn't been a thing, really, since the Second World War. Motorised and mechanised infantry are simply that much better an option when fighting a war, with very few exceptions. And those exceptions are these days handled with helicopters.

One decision I have to make at the moment is whether different types of space-based weaponry affect different elements of ground combat, or whether I just take the best available.

Why not leave it in the player's hands if it's all going to depend on the highest of different techs anyway? Let them weigh the advantages and disadvantages, and let certain weapons be more effective in certain roles, or have (un)desirable side effects.

The following users thanked this post: FrederickAlexander

Offline Happerry

• Leading Rate
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2017, 03:40:53 AM »
I'd still like to vote against the total replacement of old style PDCs.  It'll be hard to make some Castle Brian type things for a Battlemech themed game without them, and sometimes you just want to make a giant fortified 'capital city' for a military regime.  And so on.

Quote from: Hazard link=topic=9679. msg104418#msg104418 date=1506988385
Leg infantry isn't really a thing in modern military thinking.  Hasn't been a thing, really, since the Second World War.  Motorised and mechanised infantry are simply that much better an option when fighting a war, with very few exceptions.  And those exceptions are these days handled with helicopters.
Maybe rename as 'Militia' or 'Massed Conscripts' or, given the stated upcoming Warhammer Campaign, 'Penal Troopers/Legion'?

Offline Kelewan

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2017, 04:32:22 AM »
I like the new concept so far, but i have two questions.

1.  Will  CIWS and Ground-to-Orbit weapons provide Planetary Protection Value?

2.  Will there be special weapons for ship boarding? Or will Marine Companies be only small units of light-infantry  with anit-infantry weapons?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:32 AM »
Agree on the re-designation of combat walker. Some type of super-heavy vehicle designation makes sense.

Isn't walker / vehicle distinction something that could be a design option instead?

Vehicles would be superior in flat terrain and have better max speed, while walkers perform better in rough terrain giving you a more consistent speed. Then the very large vehicles/walkers both carry 3 component slots regardless of method of propulsion.

This would also allow you to reduce complexity a bit since ARM level for Vehicles & Walker types overlap.

Something like this (instead of the 7 you proposed with overlapping ARM levels):

Scout Vehicle/Walker - ARM 2 - 2 slots ( maybe even 1 slot? )
Light Vehicle/Walker - ARM 4 - 2 slots
Medium Vehicle/Walker - ARM 6 - 2 slots
Heavy Vehicle/Walker - ARM 9 - 3 slots
Super-Heavy Vehicle/Walker - ARM 12 - 3 slots

This also allows you to make a total of 10 different vehicles+walker variants.

Transport will be either infantry or vehicle (inc aircraft). In this case I am assuming that 'ground-based' aircraft are more like armoured helicopters (Mi-24) than high-flying jets (mainly because in many cases there would be no atmosphere anyway). Infantry transport will be the existing troop transport bays and combat drop modules. I will add vehicle equivalents.

It would make sense to have a shared bay for all vehicles/walkers/aircraft yeah, they require pretty similar bulk storage for transport I would say. In fact I dislike all the splitting up of "cargo" into special roles going on in Aurora 4x. Why not just have a single Cargo bay that I can put whatever I want in, be it maintenance supplies, vehicles, building parts or minerals? Or maybe 2 types, pressurized and unpressurized.

Looking at current armies they airlift in everything they need from infrastructure to tanks and troops using pretty much the same ( or very similar ) bulk cargo planes.

A few more things to think about surrounding aircraft implementation. Can they go in Hangars? Do they really need drop pods/modules? How would they interact with space based fighters? ( Maybe they get attack bonus vs space based fighters doing ground support role, and space based fighters can provide ground support without needing "Orbital Fire Support Controller" + be hit by AA? )

Ground combat will now take place in the same time frame as ship combat, with each unit firing at specified intervals (except that time won't slow for ground combat - it will instead run multiple cycles depending on turn length). It will still take a while for ground combat though as hit chances will be very low.

Please keep in mind that real war is 99.9% waiting and 0.1% of terror when doing firing times. It would be sweet to have epic campaigns stretching for months or years.

Could intensity maybe be scaled by planet size in some way so that assaulting say large massive jungle planets are year long affairs soaking of huge number of units while landing on a small 10km mining asteroid can be over in a day?

Something else to consider tied to planet size is how do you defend your rear echelon if you land with say 3 units of tanks on a huge planet and order them to take it over? Basically you can't, right?

So maybe there is a need for some kind of "width" for how many units needed to cover the front and prevent breakthroughs, and an inherit advantage to a defender which can move more unhindered through known terrain if the attacker over-extends or can't cover the front (guerrilla defense).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:25:19 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »
As things stand, infantry only have one slot. The intention though is this to be about combined arms, so you could create a brigade with a couple of 'normal' infantry units, a infantry-based anti-tank unit and an infantry-based bombardment unit. Could also make the HQ a vehicle and add some anti-air to the HQ. I think I am going to allow different size units, with HQ commanding a total size of units rather than total numbers. So you could have mainly infantry battalions but with some smaller formations providing different capabilities at brigade or division level.
Would it be possible to make the company the basic unit of design instead of the battalion?  Obviously, you aren't going to take over a whole planet with a single battalion, but for things like securing spoiler bases, having to haul a whole brigade to provide a combined-arms force might get annoying.

Mechanised infantry could potentially be represented by a vehicle unit with anti-personnel capabilities, or just use two smaller units, one infantry-based and one vehicle-based.
I don't think the first is quite the same as mechanized infantry, and the second doesn't let the infantry participate in the breakthrough. 

I'm not sure if that quite fits.  The issue is that infantry has two main features, lack of mobility and slot numbers.  It might work better to create a fifth type, something like 'static unit' with 2-4 slots (not sure which yet) which can't be on the front line except on the defensive, or at the very least doesn't have vehicle/walker breakthrough capabilities.  It's for towed artillery/anti-tank units, most logistics formations, and so on.  And make the heaviest of weapons take more than one slot. 
Also, how are naval units working in this?

My intention is that replacement units will be have to be the same type. So if you build a formation using a 'Medium Tank' unit, you will need a formation with 'Medium Tanks' for replacements. If I do this, I will probably split the individual unit design and formation design.
Does it have to have Medium Tanks with the same weapon choices and tech level as the unit itself?  Because that, while realistic, seems like it could get really old, really fast. 

I am aiming for variety and a real flavour of combined arms but I don't want to get involved in percentages of territory or different areas of terrain. The Advance position and breakthrough mechanics are being used as a substitute for actual movement.
Suggestion on this.  Without compromising simplicity, it might be possible to add a second, urban region on worlds with large populations that you fight in after the battle is won in the main terrain.  Sending in vehicles/walkers does more damage to the infrastructure, and you have every reason to try to get a breakthrough and cut off the main force before it retreats into the city.

It would make sense to have a shared bay for all vehicles/walkers/aircraft yeah, they require pretty similar bulk storage for transport I would say. In fact I dislike all the splitting up of "cargo" into special roles going on in Aurora 4x. Why not just have a single Cargo bay that I can put whatever I want in, be it maintenance supplies, vehicles, building parts or minerals? Or maybe 2 types, pressurized and unpressurized.
Look at modern merchant shipping.  I can name half a dozen different types of cargo ships offhand, and that's not even looking at military ships.  Special roles are a fact of life.  If anything, Aurora is probably overly generous in this regard.

Looking at current armies they airlift in everything they need from infrastructure to tanks and troops using pretty much the same ( or very similar ) bulk cargo planes.
This isn't remotely true.  Most of the equipment comes by sea, and there are a couple different types of ships there.  Sticking troops on airlifters only works because they aren't there for that long.  Keeping them happy over days/weeks takes a lot more specialized infrastructure.  As for vehicles, yes, it is possible to stack them in a bulk cargo hold, but that's only a good idea when you're shipping them to a friendly port.  If you want to unload them quickly, you need specialized equipment.

Could intensity maybe be scaled by planet size in some way so that assaulting say large massive jungle planets are year long affairs soaking of huge number of units while landing on a small 10km mining asteroid can be over in a day?
This is a really good point.  Combat intensity varies a lot over the course of a campaign.  If there's not an immediate victory by one side or the other at the first clash, it should settle down a lot.

So maybe there is a need for some kind of "width" for how many units needed to cover the front and prevent breakthroughs, and an inherit advantage to a defender which can move more unhindered through known terrain if the attacker over-extends or can't cover the front (guerrilla defense).
Also a very good point.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2017, 12:03:07 PM »
One decision I have to make at the moment is whether different types of space-based weaponry affect different elements of ground combat, or whether I just take the best available.

For example, should anti-personnel and anti-air be based on railguns and/or gauss, while anti-vehicle weapons use the best from lasers, meson or particle beams. Bombardment could be based on missile tech. The problem with that is space-based combat doesn't require a variety of different tech to be effective, so requiring it for ground combat could be an issue.

The alternative is to take the highest tech level from railguns, lasers, mesons or particle beams and use that as a basis for all offensive ground weaponry, with the assumption that any weapon technology can be suitably adapted for ground-combat weapon types as they operate on a much smaller scale than ship-based weaponry.

ROF can be based on capacitor technology, while size is affected by reactor technology (larger lower-tech reactors needed for same capacitor tech).

I think this should be left up to player/npr choice. I personally would like to have a massive tank with twin 300mm railguns that lay out tremendous amounts of pain to groups of enemies, while also having a variant of that tank with a 500mm laser that melts through other heavy armor like butter, and maybe yet another variant with a lot gauss cannons with a very high rof to simulate a Pontiac 100 from BattleTech (a huge "cannon" that lets out a stream of 100 high accuracy shells that essentially melts most things into paste).

Although in a lot of cases, powered infantry and heavy powered infantry could carry a wide loadout of different weapons. Going back to my example of the Ember Wars, the dragoons are a powered suit with a Gatling gun on one arm, laser in the other, and an anti-spaceship rail cannon on their shoulder. Or going to Terminators from Warhammer, some carry a Gun in one hand, melee weapon in the other, and has a missile rack on their shoulders/back.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:10:41 PM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »
2.  Will there be special weapons for ship boarding? Or will Marine Companies be only small units of light-infantry  with anit-infantry weapons?
Or you can go Imperium of Man route and send in the Terminators (Heavy powered armor) with anti-vehicle cannons and rockets to wreck their faces.

In all seriousness, the only reason the concept of "Marine" is in the forefront of thought concerning boarding combat is their specific training in the field of close combat, corridor to corridor fighting. That is also why they are quite adept at clearing buildings. We could recycle the concept and add in a special unit modifier for "Marine", or we can assume most infantry has some training in spaceship based combat. In all honesty, a ship would be torn apart from the inside before capture when combat with the level of weaponry infantry with these new rules could bring to bear. And if you still wanted to simulate "Marines" you could set up a smaller formation with just the various anti-infantry weaponry and have their tactics set to "advance".
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.