Author Topic: tractor abuse  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Michael Sandy (OP)

• Commodore
  • M
tractor abuse
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:38:30 AM »
There was a really distant binary that I wanted to explore, for completeness, and I came up with an abusive way to get there.

Ingrediants:
2 ships with 1 size 50 HS maximum boosted engine, tractor, large fuel tank, enough engineering systems to fix an engine mishap.
1 commercial ship with large fuel tank and tractor
1 carrier, large enough to hold the aforementioned tugs, no engines, lots of engineering systems, and a tractor
1 commercial jump drive ship, tractor, and lots of fuel tanks, big enough to jump the carrier.

I call it a push me-pull you.

One military tug is always in the carrier, not advancing its maintenance clock.  It tugs the commercial relay tug, so you have a tug pair of roughly 100 HS (80 HS military tug, 20 HS relay tug) setting the speed of the whole squadron.

I figure you could get this to about 15k with magnetoplasma, maybe a bit higher.  You could theoretically move a whole fleet of commercial engined or engineless ships this way, if every component has a tractor.  It is silly, and cheating, but I thought it was an amusing idea.

The following users thanked this post: Korsar13

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: tractor abuse
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 05:07:23 AM »
The micromanagement XD .
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Michael Sandy (OP)

• Commodore
  • M
Re: tractor abuse
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:22:56 AM »
True.  But it would be great for moving terraforming stations, each that has their own tractor.  So one tractor force could move the entire terraforming force all at once, very fast, thereby wasting very little terraforming time.

Might be amusing to have strategic mobility this way, a whole bunch of driveless carriers with tractors and a commercial tanker or two in the mess, be a heck of a fast response option.