Author Topic: Hyper Drive  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Jacob/Lee (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
Hyper Drive
« on: August 06, 2011, 12:24:05 AM »
So I was just designing my new engine and I noticed that hyperdrive dropdown, and was wondering what exactly they are. I've never designed an engine with one before.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Hyper Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:35:55 AM »
It lets you go really really fast.

But you have to be far far away (from the nearest star).

I believe it is generally a niche thing-- i've yet to find a system so large that it became necessary.  But if you do need to get deep into the great beyond for some reason, its a life saver.

Offline Jacob/Lee (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 02:27:24 AM »
Alright, thanks.

Also, not related at all to the question, is there a way to stop certain messages from ending time advancement?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 08:14:01 AM »
The only time that you might need a hyper drive under normal conditions is with a binary or bigger system.  If a star in the set does not have any gas giants then the only way to get between the different parts of the system is by moving there directly.  I have had distances such that a ship moving at 6000km/s would take six months to go one way without using a hyper engine.  This would be reduced to just over one month even with the ship having half as many engines and only moving at 3000km/s normally.  When the hyper drive kicks in you would be getting 30,000km/s which is really helpfull.

Brian

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:10:04 AM »
Hyperdrive is ten times your current speed. I dont like use of them because civilians dont automaticly check for their use conditions. You also need to set up way points to follow because setting a destination within hyper limit stops the ship and produces a warning. I'm not too into setting up complicated order patterns manually then babysitting ships.