Author Topic: Active Sensors/Missile Fire Controls  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
Active Sensors/Missile Fire Controls
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:15:04 AM »
From what I can see, the only difference is that the active sensors have a third of the range.  What would be the advantadge of ever using them(or do they operate differently?)

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Active Sensors/Missile Fire Controls
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:20:57 AM »
Fire controls are just that...they provide guidance to the missile in flight.  Without a sensor system to locate the target in the first place you will not be firing missiles at it.

A ship needs a sensor contact inside the range of its fire control.  But it does not have to provide the sensor contact itself.  So only one ship needs to have an active sensor lock on the target to allow all ships to fire on it.

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
Ah ok, thanks. 

Offline Nibelung44

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:33:06 AM »
A side remark, do I need to have the right combination of resolution and range for the FC to be valid?  I guess so but I had to ask.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 02:37:33 AM »
Your fire control needs to be able to see the target.  So you need the range and resolution on your fire control to be sufficient to resolve the target your active sensor has found.  That is why I use two different fire controls for anti-ship and counter missile fire.  My counter missile fire controls are resolution 1 while my anti-ship are resolution 20.

You can use a single fire control for both but you then face the issue of what range can your anti-ship fire control lock up the inbound missile.  The chance that is longer ranged then a dedicated resolution 1 sensor is minimal.

Offline Nibelung44

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:15:58 AM »
ok, that's why I thought. I do the same, 2 FC, 2 sensors. Sometime 3 on the bigger ships. Now I did not went above 7000t (CL), but I have shipyards ready for 18.000 (CA), 30.000 (BC), 60.000 (BB), 120.000 (CV).  I just need to stabilize the techs to something not deprecating too fast, and then find a specific rule of engagements for each class.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:28:28 AM »
Multiple Fire controls are also useful for dealing with waves, and battle damage.  I had one ship loose its one and only fire control on the first hit after armour...and that realy really really was annoying.