Author Topic: Fuel Harvesting on Sorium Gas Giant  (Read 2117 times)

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Fuel Harvesting on Sorium Gas Giant
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
I had the idea to fuel harvest on a gas giant. Designed a ship which is basically a harvester with a large fuel cargo but no engines. Moved it to the planet and it began harvesting. Next I wanted to setup a task group flying to this harvesters to unload the fuel. But there is no order to unload the fuel from the other task group. Is there a way to set such a thing up? Has anyone ever done this?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel Harvesting on Sorium Gas Giant
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:58:08 PM »
When a design is set as a tanker, it gets a "Unload 90% of fuel at colony" order. Make sure this tanker is slow and really fuel efficient. Order the tanker to "Refuel from task group" (with the harvester selected as destination), then "Unload fuel at colony" (with wherever selected as destination), then click the "Repeat orders" checkbox.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: Fuel Harvesting on Sorium Gas Giant
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 03:39:17 PM »
What Athom says is an efficient way to deal with the whole harvest busyness, and also why you'd want gas giants with moons, so you can do the operation on a single engine.

However, if I read right, you wanted fleets to directly take away from the tanker, which is also possible after you made that "tanker" tick in the design window. You will get the "refuel from target fleet" option when you have other fleets clicking for interactions with your harvester fleet.
You can even save the whole fly-in + refuel + back and deposit at colony orders, which I like to do after I get a couple mining sites, since it makes this a simple two click routine.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha, TMaekler, seronis