Author Topic: (Answered) Comet Mining  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
(Answered) Comet Mining
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:35:19 PM »
This May be Asked somewhere else But i could not find it!
Can an Ast mining Module be Used to Mine a Comet? if not How does one Mine the Comet?
Can a Settlement Be Put on the Comet to Set Up the Mining Machines, & Necessary Buildings to Mine the Comet?   
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:31:27 PM by Tor Cha »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Comet Mining
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:04:37 AM »
You can use asteroid mining modules for anything below a specific gravity. I think it's anything less than .1 g?
You can make a colony on any body execept for gas giants, but comets and very small asteroids probably require orbital habitats to hold the population.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: (Answered) Comet Mining
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:44:09 PM »
You can use a module to mine either asteroids or comets, however a more efficient way would be with a real colony. For this you have two options, first and expensive is to setup underground infrastructure and then use standard mining installations with colonists. Obviously you will need a huge amount of investment to get to the point where a comet colony is capable of producing any sort of worthwhile quantity of minerals. The second and easiest way is simply dump a load of automines on a come colony. they will happily work away with no further input from you.

The final choice you then have is how to get the minerals moved and for this it comes down to expensive and micromanage ways such as freighters or just drop a couple of mass drivers on the colony set a target and never have to look at the colony again until the day it runs dry.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:49:11 AM »
For comets, with their elliptical orbits, the only sane solution is automines and a massdriver. When the comet is near Earth, put them down on the comet to minimize flight time of your freighters and afterwards it doesn't matter where the comet flies off - the packets will eventually arrive on Earth.

Offline Detros

• Commander
Re: Comet Mining
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »
Quote from: MarcAFK link=topic=9367. msg100890#msg100890 date=1485756277
You can use asteroid mining modules for anything below a specific gravity.  I think it's anything less than . 1 g?
You can make a colony on any body execept for gas giants, but comets and very small asteroids probably require orbital habitats to hold the population.
Or you can leave it without a colony and hope one of your Shipping line companies will pick the spot and make civilian mine colony (CMC) there.  Then you just buy all the minerals and have them autoshipped to Earth via the mass driver integrated in CMC.

In my current game, where I created colonies in most places with minerals, civilians currently operate four CMCs, two of which are on comets.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
As a rule I try to avoid putting mines anywhere untill after the civilians have, unless I'm desperate.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "