Author Topic: Maintenance module  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Klapaucius87 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • K
Maintenance module
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:08:57 AM »
I would like to know how those thing exactly works. 
I've built a few ships with those, totalling enough maintenace to repair the space stations i have at defense of jump gates, but i can't find a way to maintain/overhaul them.
I need to have cargo with resources on the maintenance ship? or is maintenance a feature limited to planets?

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Re: Maintenance module
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:31:19 AM »
As i know, they must be on orbit of a colony to work.  Any colony will work even with no population.  Do not forget to drop some maintenance suplies on that colony.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:45:17 AM »
As i know, they must be on orbit of a colony to work.  Any colony will work even with no population.  Do not forget to drop some maintenance suplies on that colony.

Correct, the ship with the module(s) must be in orbit of a colony, any colony regardless of population since that part is a function of the ships crew.  But if I recall correctly, you still need minerals not maintenance supplies to maintain ships. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
Yes, the minerals, i almost forgot about.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
Even with these limitations the maintenance modules are very helpfull in establishing forward bases near a point that you want to picket.  If you have a ship near the jump point for example you can tell when someone comes through and then mobilize the fleet sitting at the colony based on a handy asteroid to move in and take the enemy out.

Brian

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Quote from: Brian link=topic=3953. msg38381#msg38381 date=1313509887
Even with these limitations the maintenance modules are very helpfull in establishing forward bases near a point that you want to picket.   If you have a ship near the jump point for example you can tell when someone comes through and then mobilize the fleet sitting at the colony based on a handy asteroid to move in and take the enemy out.

Never thinked something like this, but i like more have a few bases directly on the jump gate to use the enemy 'jump sickness' as much as i can.  I havn't yet to have something try to come in from any of my JG, but i don't want surprises :) .
I think i will swap my bases with some low speed ship, so they can go overhaul by themselves.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
The only difference between ships and bases in this game is the engines.  As far as design work goes they are the same thing.  I have often used older ships for jump point defense as their speed is not a major factor.  In fact I often pull about half their engines out in a refit for more weapons to take advantage of that sensor blindness from jumping in.  It is an especially usefull thing to do with ships that have a really good crew grade.  If I scrapped them the crew would be moved back into the pool where their high crew points would be mostly wasted.  This way they stay together and I get the benifit of their skill.

Brian

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
interesting idea Brian....

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:28:57 AM »
The only difference between ships and bases in this game is the engines.  As far as design work goes they are the same thing.  I have often used older ships for jump point defense as their speed is not a major factor.  In fact I often pull about half their engines out in a refit for more weapons to take advantage of that sensor blindness from jumping in.  It is an especially usefull thing to do with ships that have a really good crew grade.  If I scrapped them the crew would be moved back into the pool where their high crew points would be mostly wasted.  This way they stay together and I get the benifit of their skill.

Brian

+1

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
Quote from: Brian link=topic=3953. msg38386#msg38386 date=1313518377
The only difference between ships and bases in this game is the engines.   As far as design work goes they are the same thing.   I have often used older ships for jump point defense as their speed is not a major factor.   In fact I often pull about half their engines out in a refit for more weapons to take advantage of that sensor blindness from jumping in.   It is an especially usefull thing to do with ships that have a really good crew grade.   If I scrapped them the crew would be moved back into the pool where their high crew points would be mostly wasted.   This way they stay together and I get the benifit of their skill.

Brian

I sometime refit a ship even if it cost more than a new one just for that.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »
u can always drop an orbital habitat around colonies with no population anyway - does the amount of maintence tie to the workforce in anyway or is it pure technology driven

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 05:08:21 AM »
Well, as you might have seen before I discontinued that AAR, I found it worth it to create massive Civilian Ships, train them with no maintenance costs for two years, and then refit them to a military design with the new engines that are available by now.
Sure, it costs more then double the build time and many more resources, but you get Elite Ships at the pinnacle of your tech level.
Not sure that's possible anymore.
As for jump point pickets, it's probably a good idea to have a reaction force on an asteroid and a sensor ship on the other side, if something approaches, move picket force there.
Old ships are obviously a good choice as well.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
How many and which minerals do you need for maintenance?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
How many and which minerals do you need for maintenance?

The bottom half of the Mining tab on the Economics screen shows that info.