Author Topic: Colony Cost changes due to Terraforming Rules  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Colony Cost changes due to Terraforming Rules
« on: September 18, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
When I coded the terraforming rules, I came across a small problem. I had included a small random factor in the calculation of the greenhouse factor. Unfortunately, this meant when I tried to update this factor due to changes in atmospheric composition, the results would not be logical. Therefore I removed the random element and replaced it with an average number.

The formula was: GHFactor = 1 + ((AtmosPress ^ 0.5) * 0.01 * RandomNumber(10)) + ((GHPressure ^ 0.5) * 0.1) + (WVFactor * 0.1)

It is now changed to: GHFactor = 1 + ((AtmosPress ^ 0.5) * 0.06) + ((GHPressure ^ 0.5) * 0.1) + (WVFactor * 0.1)

Once this change was made, I had to go through and update planets that might someday be terraformed. The result of this is that the surface temperature of some planets has changed slightly, which has an impact on the colony cost. This change also has an impact on the fiction which in some cases does not reflect the cost of colonization. Therefore I have changed the fiction where appropriate. Several of the changes were in the 2046 fiction which is unpublished but three changes to the existing fiction are noted below.

The habitable world in Herakleia changes surface temperature from -3 to +6. This does not affect colony cost

Thebes-III changes from 0.07 to 4.6 degrees. Again colony cost is unaffected.

The surface temperature of Thessalonica-B I drops from 74C to 67C, changing the colony cost from 2.1 to 1.8. This means the planet will appear on the galactic map as a habitable world (classed as less than colony cost 2.0)

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »