Author Topic: Ship commander's survey bonus is halved  (Read 643 times)

Offline Uran (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
Ship commander's survey bonus is halved
« on: November 27, 2023, 02:20:59 AM »
I assigned a commander with 30% survey bonus to my first geosurvey vessel.  But in the naval organization screen, in a fleet tab, I can see that the ship has only Geo Survey of 1. 15.  I believe it should be 1. 3
What I am missing?

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
Re: Ship commander's survey bonus is halved
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 03:19:29 AM »
This is correct. The Ship commander gives half of his bonus to the ship, for a full bonus you will need to appoint a science officer to the ship, they provide the full survey bonus. Other positions provide a bonus for their own specialties.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus, Uran

Offline Uran (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 05:34:48 AM »
I have another question on bonuses.
I have read Guide: Naval Command Structures here hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=11223. 0

Hear what I have:
A General type Terran Federal Navy Admin Command based on Terra and leaded by admiral Sabbat Paidar who has no survey bonuses.
Subordinate Survey Admin Command leaded by Vice Admiral Azariah Tigurius who has 30% bonus to survey operations.
The Curiosity Survey Fleet of single GEV-01 Surdin with the Captain Titus Maladon who has 32% bonus to survey operations.

So I expected: 1GeologicalSurveySensor * (1 + 0. 32 / 2)Half of ship captain bonus * (1 + 0. 30 / 4)25% of survey bonus of Azariah Tigrius as a leader of Survey Admin Command == 1. 247 bonus for survey operations.

Are my expectations correct?

But the Naval Organization windows shows only 1. 16 bonus for Curiosity Fleet in a Fleet tab.
I did not make compare tests with 2 ships where one is under Survey Admin Command and the other is under general Admin Command yet.

But it is very interesting for me:
What is actual survey bonus for my geosurvey fleet?
Is it a bug in Naval Organization window which does not show full bonuses for survey operations? Or the actual bonus is 1. 16 indeed and I do not understand something?

I have a similar question about logistic bonuses for my cargo fleet.  Actually the Naval Organization windows does not show logistic bonuses at all.  Is there a way how I can see the logistic bonuses? Until now I only made some test with different ship commanders and the leader of my Logistic Admin Command and I figured out that actual load time is indeed different.  But, is there an easy way to see the actual bonuses for logistics?

PS.  Just in case, sorry for my not the best English

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 03:09:56 PM »
1.16 is what you'd expect with just your commander with a 32% bonus. Sounds like you've got your admin commands mis-configured somehow, maybe.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 04:04:30 PM »
Hear what I have:
A General type Terran Federal Navy Admin Command based on Terra and leaded by admiral Sabbat Paidar who has no survey bonuses.
Subordinate Survey Admin Command leaded by Vice Admiral Azariah Tigurius who has 30% bonus to survey operations.
The Curiosity Survey Fleet of single GEV-01 Surdin with the Captain Titus Maladon who has 32% bonus to survey operations.

So I expected: 1GeologicalSurveySensor * (1 + 0. 32 / 2)Half of ship captain bonus * (1 + 0. 30 / 4)25% of survey bonus of Azariah Tigrius as a leader of Survey Admin Command == 1. 247 bonus for survey operations.

Are my expectations correct?

But the Naval Organization windows shows only 1. 16 bonus for Curiosity Fleet in a Fleet tab.

Your expectations are correct. I've just checked, and this is a display bug - the actual survey rate used by the survey ship is equal to the expected total bonus, but the displayed value in the Fleet tab only counts the ship commander and science officer bonuses.

My setup:
- Survey frigate with 2x Grav Survey Sensors (2.0 points)
- Science officer with 19% bonus + Captain with 32% bonus = total bonus (1+0.19)*(1+0.5*0.32) = 1.38 (2.76 points) - this is the displayed value on the Fleet tab.
- Three stacked SRV naval admin commands with 15%, 30%, and 15% bonuses = total bonus (1+0.25*0.15)*(1+0.25*0.3)+(1+0.25*0.15) = 1.16 (3.2 points) - this is the expected value.

I advanced the clock for 8 hours while this ship surveyed a jump point from 35.5 to 9.9 survey points = (35.5-9.9)/8 = 3.2 points per hour, agreeing with the expected value.

So the good news is that you don't have to worry about it, your survey bonuses are being applied correctly.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Uran

Offline Uran (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 04:52:09 PM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=13340. msg166385#msg166385 date=1701295470
So the good news is that you don't have to worry about it, your survey bonuses are being applied correctly.   :)

Thankyou!
I was not worried about the bonuses themselves.  I was worried I am not understand the mechanics.  Thanks to you now I know that is just an interface problem.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 04:55:48 PM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=13340. msg166385#msg166385 date=1701295470
So the good news is that you don't have to worry about it, your survey bonuses are being applied correctly.   :)

Thankyou!
I was not worried about the bonuses themselves.  I was worried I am not understand the mechanics.  Thanks to you now I know that is just an interface problem.

You might consider posting this as a bug report in the appropriate thread for visibility, as well.

Offline Uran (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 12:20:42 PM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=13340. msg166387#msg166387 date=1701298548
You might consider posting this as a bug report in the appropriate thread for visibility, as well.

Done and answered "SJW: Fixed for v. 2. 2. 2"