Author Topic: Passenger liners and mobile miners\refineries  (Read 3126 times)

Offline coco146 (OP)

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
Passenger liners and mobile miners\refineries
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
What are luxury liners used for and will shipping lines use them?

How would I go about using mining ships and refineries?

Offline o_O

• Petty Officer
  • o
Re: Passenger liners and mobile miners\refineries
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
Luxury liners move small amounts of people at high cost, basically they just generate revenue for the shipping companies.   

For mining ships, make a colony on an asteroid, park the miner in orbit and you have your mine.   Refineries are similar, but you will obviously need storage space for the fuel they make.   

Offline coco146 (OP)

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:05:16 PM »
What kind of storage?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
What kind of storage?

Fuel tanks. :)

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:16:52 PM »
Luxury modules generate the same income as a cryo colonist modiule for civilian shipping lines. Where they differ is that the luxury liner modules will carry passengers in both directions so they generate twice the profit of colony ships and have no net effect on the population of a colony. They will also keep moving pasengers between colonies that have reached a size to be declared as stable or source of colonists unlike colony modules that will only drop off at colonies maked as destination.

Mining ships just require you to make a colony on the asteroid you want to mine, and then move the mining ship to the colony. the minerals they mine will be placed in the stockpile of the colony on the asteroid.

Fuel harvesters are similar in that you move them to the gas giant to be harvested, but they will only place the fuel produced into their own fuel tanks. Make sure to mark the refinery ships class as tankers so you can use the fuel transfer orders. Remember to have the harvesters either drop off some of the fuel in their tanks atone of your colonies before they move to harvest, or use fuel tankers to take the fuel from the harvesters and drop it off on a colony.

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:04:47 AM »
Asteroid Miners also work on comets.

And just for the record, the gas giant that you use for your harvesters should have some Sorium ready to be mined (i.e. you must have detected it through a geosurvey). The better the accessibility, the more the harvester will harvest. You do not need a colony on the gas giant (while you do need a formal "colony" on asteroids and comets for asteroid mining).

Offline coco146 (OP)

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 06:15:14 AM »
So to much micro management then?

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »
Depends on your definition of "too much", but it's not really any more micromanagey than any other aspect of aurora

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:02:33 AM »
Well asteroid mining is pretty much exactly as much micro management as normal mining. Maybe even a bit less, since you only need to order the mining ships to their location and establish a colony. If you would use automated mines on the same asteroid you would need to transfer the mines  via freighters, which also have to return, thus making one more trip. The real pain about mining asteroids (via any method) is that the accessibility of the minerals declines (quite quickly in some cases) and you thus have to move camp quite often. Which is why I mentioned comets, which boast significantly more minerals than most asteroids, so you dont have to move the miners that often.

Sorium harvesting is not particularly micro either, just move the harvesters to the spot and set up a continuous tanker-trip to fetch the fuel. 

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:03:26 AM »
the amount of micromanagement in aurora can be supplemented with some degree of automated or user involvement.  That said theres a lot ingame anyway we accept that as part of the challange of the gameplay however which is fine

Fuel tanks is an interesting angle to

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:12:15 AM »
For true set-up and forget on asteroid mines, you can drop a mass driver to shoot everything you mine back home (or to Luna, then home, if you don't want to risk accidental orbital bombardment due to picking up too many mass drivers by mistake.) In fact, adding cargo holds to the asteroid miner lets you plop it down, mine, and pick up when everything's depleted.

I've had no luck setting up sorium harvesters to dump their fuel on a base/colony- I set the conditional commands to drop off fuel when it's full, but it just waits around at the colony, and I don't see a manual command to drop off fuel in the command list.
Living up to my username. . .

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »
I've had no luck setting up sorium harvesters to dump their fuel on a base/colony- I set the conditional commands to drop off fuel when it's full, but it just waits around at the colony, and I don't see a manual command to drop off fuel in the command list.
Have you declared the harvesters to be "tankers" as per the class design checkbox?

Personally I prefer a dedicated tanker - every hour that the harvester does not spend in orbit harvesting is an hour of wasted capital and forgone returns on that capital.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »
Yes, it's better to create massive harvesting bases and tug them to gas giants, then have a tanker(s) siphon off of them to colonies - or even have your battle fleets refuel directly from them.

Offline coco146 (OP)

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
But dont they start with max fuel? do I have to drag them then take some of the fuel they start with?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »
But dont they start with max fuel? do I have to drag them then take some of the fuel they start with?

I believe when they have harvesters on them, they are automatically set to 10% fuel.