Author Topic: Stuck in a loop  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Arwyn (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Stuck in a loop
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:54:46 PM »
Well, been running a pretty good 5.2 game, but I am definitely stuck by the loop bug. I let the automate turns go for a bit. Logged out and back in, nada. Still stuck with 25 second increments with the note "Increment length adjusted due to imminent action. This may involve two NPRs fighting" in the even log when I look as SM.

Help! At this point the event log is completely full, and its run for two days game time at 25sec incremends.  ::)

Is there anyway to fix this short of divine intercession?

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
Re: Stuck in a loop
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »
If you manually set the time step to the longest available duration (I think 1 day) does the game calculate a time step at that level, or does the combat cause your manual choice to be overriden?

I had this issue and set the time step to a day, whatever NPR action was happening ended up being resolved after a long time (at least a few months) but at 1 day per time step that wasn't the huge deal it would have been at 25 seconds per time step.

Offline Arwyn (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »
I have tried it a couple of different ways, with several time increments. I can go lower than 25 seconds, but not above it. I literally let the program run in auto turns for a couple of hours while I fixed dinner, and then another couple of hours afterward while I did other things on the computer.

No luck.

At this point, I am starting up another game and hoping I dont hit this again. I know Steve has been able to fix these in the past by fiddling with the database of the affected game, but thats a lot to ask of him. At this point I was sixteen years into the game, so its not the end of the world, just frustrating.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:05:29 PM »
Have you activated SM mode and dumped the event log to a text file? That will show you if there are any NPR events popping up every 25 seconds, although it's not organized particularly well. Or at all, as far as I can tell.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »
I have seen a new recent yo-yo/loop bug that I reported last version but maybe Steve didn't get to it.

Could be one of the smaller Invader ships firing at a Swarm Queen, since the invader is faster and has no ammo then it can just stay at range from the slower but super-tough Queen. The Queen's shield recharge is probably better than the damage-per-second from the Invader

Offline Arwyn (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:46 PM »
I think you may be on to something Beersatron. I am pretty sure the Invaders are active, I saw a couple of them in the wormhole system, and they have since left. Soon thereafter, death by lag showed up. :)

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
Do those ships ignore fuel constraints in addition to ignoring maintenance failures? If not then eventually (probably way too long to wait though) either the small ship will run out of fuel and be unable to run from the Queen, or the Queen will run out of fuel and have to shut down its shields.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
I don't know about invaders, but I'm pretty sure Queens leave their shields up all the time, so I think they have infinite fuel.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
There should be an autocorrect in v5.20 that will delete a fleet causing a yoyo bug after it happens 200 times in a row. You could leave it running and see if that happens.

Steve