Author Topic: "Linear" galaxy ?  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Mysterius (OP)

• Petty Officer
"Linear" galaxy ?
« on: December 17, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
Hello,

I tend to limit my galaxy to 150 systems, 200 max, in order to avoid huge lag after some time.

However, I also hate having a ton of dormant jump points and "interconnected" systems everywhere. I think it breaks the territorial aspect of the game and also the exploration aspect "yeah i'm in deep space years from my homeland! Here's a jump point, let's get through ! ---> back to the home planet." Great :p.
The massive presence of hidden jump points is particularily true with such a low amount of systems since there are not a lot of system numbers for the game to assign.

So my question : is there a way to create a kind of "linear" galaxy where, when i go deeper in space, i ALWAYS get farther away from my homeland. There could still be some links/hidden JP, but not so much. The kind of rare links that you WANT to occupy and defend, because they are the crossroads of the whole galaxy (don't know if i am clear).

Using SM mode to edit JP is not a viable solution. NPRs explore, too  :).
Quote from: Atlantia
Quote from: Person012345
The commission of the first Dwarf class mining ship. 

I hope it menaces with spikes of Duranium and is adorned with hanging rings of Corbomite!

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: "Linear" galaxy ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:06:54 PM »
With SM mode enabled there's a 'Force New' checkbox in the F9 system view screen under the jump point tab which forces new systems on exploratory transits, but as you yourself said it's barely an option as it'd require you to check this box for every system and doesn't limit the SM-inaccessible NPR systems (no idea about designer mode).

An idea that sprung my mind was to set local system generation chance to 0% and the spread to at least 1 - This way it might make linking jump points impossible, but I'm not sure if Steve handles a zero percent chance as 'disabled' for this feature. Might be worth a try though.
You'll be unable to play with real star systems, however.

*edit*
I just realised that this won't stop the interconnection of systems in the way I first thought (it's 1 am here, I blame the clock! 8) ), since you'll get just the same number of hidden jump points with systems further away once the game ran for a couple years, especially if you get closer to the system limit. I doubt this is feasable without considerable SM micromanagement or altering connections retrospectivly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:17:06 PM by Vynadan »

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »
With 1000 systems to choose from, I see precious little connectivity.  Decreasing the number of available systems will tend to increase the likelyhood of branching.

The lag is not from the size of the galaxy-- its from the amount of smeg in it.  Start with zero NPRs and that should help.

Offline Mysterius (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:32:34 AM »
I doubt this is feasable without considerable SM micromanagement or altering connections retrospectivly.

That's what i fear, yes... At the moment, jump points seem to be generated without taking into account the restrictions placed in "Local System Gen. Chance" and "Local System Gen. Spread". For example, if you set "99" in the first option and "2" in the second, the game will still generate systems with 3+ jump points, which can only lead to the break of the said rules.

I am asking, but I already had the feeling that what i want is not feasible :(. I guess Steve could have the final answer.

With 1000 systems to choose from, I see precious little connectivity.  Decreasing the number of available systems will tend to increase the likelyhood of branching.

The lag is not from the size of the galaxy-- its from the amount of smeg in it.  Start with zero NPRs and that should help.

Yes I know, unfortunately.

Still, I think that the size of the galaxy do increase the lag. Not by itself, but because NPRs explore too and can generate new NPRs as such (thanks to the "NPR generation chance"). I start with zero NPR and I tend to add some in SM mode when I want to. But i also like to have the surprise of discovering a new one randomly generated.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:34:55 AM by Mysterius »

I hope it menaces with spikes of Duranium and is adorned with hanging rings of Corbomite!

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:18:59 AM »
That's what i fear, yes... At the moment, jump points seem to be generated without taking into account the restrictions placed in "Local System Gen. Chance" and "Local System Gen. Spread". For example, if you set "99" in the first option and "2" in the second, the game will still generate systems with 3+ jump points, which can only lead to the break of the said rules.
That's not quite the way it works. The "Local System Gen. Spread" is the range of the system IDs which make up viable targets for jump points leading out of the system -> It does in no way limit the number of jump points in itself. If you check the galaxy map, there's a display option to show you the IDs of every system. Sol, for example, always has the ID zero. Now, if you have a spread of two and the "Local System Gen. Chance" at 99%, there's a 99% chance that any exploratory jump out of this system will lead to a system within a two integer range from the ID of the current system.

For Sol, this means that there's a 99% chance that the system will have the ID 198-002, assuming you have a limit of 200 systems. There's also a 1% chance that the system will instead have any random ID.

Effectivly, this means that a high chance and low spread will amount to small clusters of systems discovered, which (in ID terms) are close to one another and often interconnected with various jump points. If you have many discovered systems around ID zero, there's a high chance that system #2 will connect to a known system, as there's only a 1% chance of it to break out of this 'cluster' of known systems.

Still, I think that the size of the galaxy do increase the lag. Not by itself, but because NPRs explore too and can generate new NPRs as such (thanks to the "NPR generation chance"). I start with zero NPR and I tend to add some in SM mode when I want to. But i also like to have the surprise of discovering a new one randomly generated.
Not so much if you disable planetary orbital movements. They're calculated only every five days and usually don't cause nearly as much lag as NPR movements. With 500+ systems the movement of 2000+ planets can be taxing, but only during (standard time) build increments. If you simply uncheck that option, the number of systems should have a very marginal impact on your delays.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 06:21:38 AM by Vynadan »

Offline Mysterius (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
That's not quite the way it works. The "Local System Gen. Spread" is the range of the system IDs which make up viable targets for jump points leading out of the system -> It does in no way limit the number of jump points in itself. If you check the galaxy map, there's a display option to show you the IDs of every system. Sol, for example, always has the ID zero. Now, if you have a spread of two and the "Local System Gen. Chance" at 99%, there's a 99% chance that any exploratory jump out of this system will lead to a system within a two integer range from the ID of the current system.

For Sol, this means that there's a 99% chance that the system will have the ID 198-002, assuming you have a limit of 200 systems. There's also a 1% chance that the system will instead have any random ID.

Effectivly, this means that a high chance and low spread will amount to small clusters of systems discovered, which (in ID terms) are close to one another and often interconnected with various jump points. If you have many discovered systems around ID zero, there's a high chance that system #2 will connect to a known system, as there's only a 1% chance of it to break out of this 'cluster' of known systems.

That's what i said. Okay... I wasn't very clear  ;D. But yes, I understand how it works :).

What i was saying is that setting 90% in Gen. Chance and 2 in Gen. Spread. (for example) is, in fact, ineffective. With these settings, a system should only have 4 possible jump points, sometimes more if they fall into the "10%" that does not link to a local system.

But the game does not work like that. Jump points are generated randomly and this is only when they are explored that these settings are taken into accounts. As such, extreme settings like these are simply impossible for the game to follow. I cannot be completely sure of what I say, but this is what i observed in my testing.

This is why i am looking for an alternative.

Am i clear? I may not speak english very well... ^^

Not so much if you disable planetary orbital movements. They're calculated only every five days and usually don't cause nearly as much lag as NPR movements. With 500+ systems the movement of 2000+ planets can be taxing, but only during (standard time) build increments. If you simply uncheck that option, the number of systems should have a very marginal impact on your delays.

You misread my post  :). What i'm saying is that since NPRs explore, they generate new NPRs and, as such, increase the lag. I always disable orbital movements anyway.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:18:09 AM by Mysterius »

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:59:05 AM »
Heh, I read something entirely different form that post, but now I understand  ;D

Perhaps if you set the spread to ~10 and the chance to ~50%, you could get something close to 'territories'. You have an equal chance that jump points will remain in their local cluster, creating a territory of interconnected systems or the chance that it spreads out in a (hopefully) further away system, where the whole process repeats. These further located jumps would serve as the choke points between your territories

I must admit, this is in no way a means to get a 'linear' galaxy, as progressive climbing of IDs could create a quite interwoven jump network and sheer luck will sooner or later fill out all the ID gaps caused from initial jumps, but I guess this is about the closest (slightly gambly) thing you can get (that I can think of). Some minimal SM adjustment to jump points once a decade or so could keep the territory-ish outlook of the galaxy up, I guess.

I always disable orbital movements anyway.
Personally, I couldn't live that way xD

I remotely remember a post (from Steve, I think) saying that the further away you go from Sol the less likely habitable planets are - this way the lag for NPR-discovered NPRs wouldn't increase too fast if they explore in the 200+ range of IDs. I tried the search function to find the post where that was mentioned in, but failed aptly =/

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
I remotely remember a post (from Steve, I think) saying that the further away you go from Sol the less likely habitable planets are

I don't recall saying that, although that is no guarantee I didn't say it :)

The chance of habitable planets is based on the system generation code, which doesn't change depending on the distance from Sol. However, I think G-class stars probably have the best chance of producing a habitable world so I might have said that the further you got from Sol in terms of star type, the less chance of habitable planets.

Steve

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »
I seem to remember it being something about the real stars option in game creation, that G type stars and hence the probability of habitable planets were more common closer to Sol.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »
I seem to remember it being something about the real stars option in game creation, that G type stars and hence the probability of habitable planets were more common closer to Sol.

Still don't remember :). I did recently mention that for real stars in Newtonian Aurora there were less red dwarfs beyond 75 LY because we haven't mapped them yet, but that would actually mean a higher chance per system of a habitable planet beyond 75 LY. Also real stars generally will have less habitable planets because there are so many red dwarfs, while the system generation for random stars reduces the chances of red dwarfs compared to reality, which will increase the chance of habitable worlds. That doesn't depend on distance though.

Steve

Offline Mysterius (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »
Steve, what do you think about my initial "problem"? Is what I try to achieve impossible at the moment? (limiting dormant JP with a low number of systems)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
Steve, what do you think about my initial "problem"? Is what I try to achieve impossible at the moment? (limiting dormant JP with a low number of systems)

Is this a real stars or random game?

Steve

Offline Mysterius (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 03:52:10 PM »
A random one. I couldn't even play with the System Gen. Chance and System Gen. Spread options in a real star game ^^.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »
I could swear that I read something along that G-star line someplace here ... but I couldn't find it again, nor do I recall it precise enough to be 100% secure ;D ... But then again, the aurora board already showed up in a dream I had once, so I should better shut up at this point :-[

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »
A random one. I couldn't even play with the System Gen. Chance and System Gen. Spread options in a real star game ^^.

Yes, I know but not everyone realises that :)

I would just set local system generation chance to zero and have a large number of systems. If you pick say 10,000 systems, then there is only a 1 in 10,000 chance that a jump point will connect to any particular system number. Once ten systems have been discovered, the chance of connecting to an existing system is 1000-1. When 100 systems have been discovered the chance of connecting to an existing system is still 100-1

Systems are not generated until they are explored so having 10,000 max or 100 max makes no difference to performance. That is only affected by systems that have been generated.

Steve