Author Topic: Valheim  (Read 3527 times)

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Valheim
« on: March 13, 2021, 06:03:01 AM »
I've not been on the forums for a few days due to my recent Valheim addiction. Its a building/survival game with a Viking theme. The mechanics are extremely well done. Progression is gradual, but never seems slow or a grind.

I've been playing with my children (who are 29 and 31) and my grandson (10) so its a great family game. Its intended as a co-op PVE game, but it is also fine as a solo game.

You create your own private world for up to 10 players and Valheim uses procedural generation so the world is different in every game. On steam, the feedback is 'overwhelmingly positive' based on 150k reviews. Its an early access game, but is better than most complete games. It was developed by 5 people and has sold over 5m copies already.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/892970/Valheim/

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Valheim
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 06:52:44 AM »
What do you think made it explode so big and suddenly? It feels like the game came out of nowhere any yet everyone knew about it ahead of time and instantly bought it day one.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 07:24:12 AM »
I can tell you for me was good word of mouth.  I like survival/builder games but hate all the roadblocks developers put in the way of me doing what I want to do - build huge structures and occasionally go mess with some RPG lite gameplay when I want to break.  Valheim devs seemed to recognize that.

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 07:35:04 AM »
I think the popularity has massively surprised the developers. I started because my son recommended it and then was instantly hooked. Same for my daughter. She even created a steam account to buy it, so not a regular PC gamer.

Its difficult to put into words why it is addictive, but its just seems to have really well integrated mechanics. You have a basic set of principles in terms of the physics, crafting, combat, etc. but the player has a lot of freedom in how they use those mechanics and it never feels like a grind. Plus, it always seems like you have a project to work on. Whether that is building a base, or establishing an outpost, or setting off on an expedition into dangerous territory to get the materials you need.

Everything is destructible. I just spent some time clearing ground for a base extension, which involved chopping down trees with an axe (which is fun in itself as they actually fall and can land on you if you aren't careful), chopping up the fallen trees, removing the stumps, breaking up any rocks in the area (using a pickaxe), then leveling the ground and clearing grass and shrubs (with a hoe) until finally I have a level piece of clear ground. The wood and stone gathered in the clearing operation can then be used in construction.

The combat is fun and death is meaningful (you lose skills and have to retrieve the body to get your equipment). Also I love games where I can go sneaky archer. It isn't quite as good as Skyrim Requiem in that respect, but it integrates well into the rest of the game.

Finally, the game generates funny stories and very entertaining moments. Everyone dies at least once due to a falling tree for example. For a longer example, my daughter and I had built a raft and sailed to a dangerous area (for our current skills and equipment). We got attacked and had to run to the raft but she didn't make it and died on the shore. I sailed the raft back to our spawn point (you can set any bed that is covered by a roof as a spawn point) to pick her up then we set off to retrieve the body as it had all of her gear. As the raft got near the hostile shore at night we could see the enemies that killed us - various type of grey dwarf.  I started shooting them with my bow while stood on the raft, so they jumped in the water and swam toward us. Minor panic ensued, but I managed to sail the raft backwards while shooting them in the water. A couple made it to the edge of the raft and I couldn't hit them with the bow, so I changed to axe and started attacking them. Unfortunately, when you swing an axe it can damage anything in that arc. So while I was hitting the dwarves I was also hitting the raft. The raft suddenly broke apart and we ended up in the water. We swam toward the shore, but you use up stamina when swimming and we didn't have enough. We both drowned just yards from the beach :)

The following users thanked this post: Rye123, Rook

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »
I know nothing about it, but from Steve's description it sounds like a crossover between Minecraft and Skyrim. If so this would explain its popularity particularly if done well.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 03:42:52 PM »
I think its more of how unique it is. We havent had a game set in a Norse Mythology like this before. I know nothing about the game, not my cup of tea. But adding ALL of Yggdrasil would be nice. Because Yggdrasil is massive.

Reminds me of some older 1.7 mods for Minecraft with ideas from Norse Mythology.

Offline mostly_harmless

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 03:03:47 AM »
Valheim is amazing. I have two games going, one with my two kids and one with two colleagues.
The visuals are just so well done, each biome has a different vibe (modelled snow blindness!). When a thunderstorm hits while you are out in the woods, you really feel the urge to shelter. Not because of any mechanics forcing you to, but it really feels threatening.

And as Steve says, you always have something to do and the game is not forcing you to a particular course of actions. You could spend days just beautifying your epic longhouse without the difficulty ramping up.

You can see that the dev team really poured their heart into this one. And its still early access, with more content to come.

One recommendation: Resist the urge to spoiler yourself. Don't read wikis, don't watch speedruns, etc.

Thomas

Offline Castinar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 11:57:50 AM »
I second (third) the comments on how great it is.  Been playing solo, and not having any real problems.  It seems to scale teh "bosses" too the level of the players on the server at the time.... I've watched some large, well established groups take on a creature and think....no way I can do this alone...only to find out that yes, it's challenging solo, but a winnable fight.

And, the building/crafting is great fun (that is what attracted me in the first place).  Lots to do, nice, steady progression. 
The world is very nicely rendered as well.  All in all, great game!

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
I have been hooked, that's your fault Steve!

Now plowing my way through the 3rd boss. I also have in parallel a game with 3 friends, this is a load of fun! I wish the game would have even more content, but for an EA title ... Wow, it could be sold as a final product and put to shame thousands of other games.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 10:28:09 AM »
If you like Valheim you should try Vintage Story.

Unless you do not like highly modded Minecraft that is brutal like TerraFirmaCraft is.

Because Vintage Story is an independent game made by a former Minecraft modder who got fed up with the modding scene and wanted to make his own game.

In my opinion its better than vanilla Minecraft (Even though its no where near finished.) but if i had one criticism is that the enemies do not feel dangerous until you go very deep underground. And it lacks bosses.

But he is working on that.  ;)