Author Topic: Building "Star Bases"  (Read 1534 times)

Offline sandman662 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Building "Star Bases"
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »
Is it possible (and feasible) to build Star Bases in non-home systems?  I mean, I want to build a "base" in a system without any planets and/or asteroids.  Is that possible?  What would be a typical design?  How would you get it to the system?

Thanks for any input!

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: Building "Star Bases"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
A "star base" would be a very large, engine-less warship transported via tugs, I guess.

As for its design, well, it could have both beam weapons and missile launchers, house small spacecraft and mount very powerful sensors. Though as far as static detection's concerned, I believe it's cheaper and more effective to just drop some deep space tracking stations on some random asteroid/moon.

However, I don't think it'd be particularly practical, since it would be huge and huge military vessels are specially expensive. You're better off having a mobile fleet. Besides, as a military ship, the star base would also suffer from maintenance decay, so that's yet another disadvantage. As far as static platforms are concerned, I prefer to use small-ish ones to defend jump points, but that's about it. PDCs are more economical for colony defense, I believe.

Offline sandman662 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I didn't think that they would be practical, hence the post.  I am just trying to learn how to put supplies in a forward position to help keep my survey ships in supply and try to put up early warning stations.

What could "drop some deep space tracking stations"?  Are they "loadable" in transports, or do they have to be towed with tractor beams?  Can a tractor beam pull a ship through a jump gate?

Sorry for the question bombardment.

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:38:42 PM »
Quote from: "sandman662"
I mean, I want to build a "base" in a system without any planets and/or asteroids.  Is that possible?

No can do.
(@)

Offline Chainfire

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:28:17 PM »
What could "drop some deep space tracking stations"?  Are they "loadable" in transports, or do they have to be towed with tractor beams?

Deep Space Tracking stations are planet created installations which have extremely long sensor range, they can be shipped much like other installations and take 5 cargo holds worth of space.  Just declare an asteroid a colony and plop one of those sensors down on it to get a scout in system

Offline Journier

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • J
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:42:54 AM »
Quote from: "Chainfire"
What could "drop some deep space tracking stations"?  Are they "loadable" in transports, or do they have to be towed with tractor beams?

Deep Space Tracking stations are planet created installations which have extremely long sensor range, they can be shipped much like other installations and take 5 cargo holds worth of space.  Just declare an asteroid a colony and plop one of those sensors down on it to get a scout in system

That doesnt include an active sensor on planet does it? Its just thermal/EM right?

I coulda sworn it didnt give Active sensor on planet with that but im not sure.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »
Quote from: "Journier"

That doesnt include an active sensor on planet does it? Its just thermal/EM right?

I'm fairly certain it's the whole package.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:04:17 AM »
Quote from: "Shadow"
Quote from: "Journier"

I'm fairly certain it's the whole package.

No, Deep Space Tracking stations are passive only - no actives.  The issue is that they aren't all that long ranged compared to the size of a system (although I'm pretty sure they're a lot better than building an equivalent PDC with normal thermal/EM sensors) and you usually don't have a convenient rock sitting near a JP that you want to observe.  They're mainly useful as early warning stations telling you that someone's sneaking up on one of your populations, or (in an unpopulated system) telling you that someone's doing a probe and/or geosurvey.

John