Author Topic: Orbital Habitat Civilian Designs?  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Orbital Habitat Civilian Designs?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »
One solution to the maintenance load of orbital habitat monstrosities is to have cheap systems and systems that don't fail.

An orbital habitat that is mostly hangar, engineering, maintenance supplies, magazines and perhaps bulk basic railguns is going to have a lot of systems that can't fail, and a lot that are simply cheap to fix.

But that means is isn't the juggernaut of death either.  I would be concerned about aggressively using an orbital habitat in combat where it takes any damage because the Orbital Hab part is likely to fail, and because the way the check for ship destruction works, if the damage keeps attempting to apply to a destroyed system that can destroy the ship.  A ship with a giant hole in a middle is more fragile than one without it.

An orbital habitat that generally only entered missile range might be better, because it could have a huge concentration of point defense, and shields to shrug off leakers (or missiles with ECM or laser heads).  And because it won't encounter mesons, the classic Giant Killer weapon.
or you can put 20% engineering spaces, make it carry 50000 maintenece supplies, and give it 2000-3000 shield points. at which point its basically the Deathstar and since this game has no magic space wizards, its actually indestructible. (assuming you put a decent quantity of guns in it of course).
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
I triedt hat, its not possible, you can even try making it 90% engineering spaces and maintenance modules but you just end up with something which breaks the game.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 12:19:12 AM »
Well, I'mma go ahead and post a design that currently I'm using. Here it is:

Code: [Select]
Kongo class Orbital Habitat    1,194,850 tons     2417 Crew     36425.2 BP      TCS 23897  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-1003     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 10     PPV 0
MSP 191    Max Repair 500 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 36 months    Spare Berths 5   
Cargo 5000    Habitation Capacity 100,000   
Recreational Facilities
Fuel Harvester: 10 modules producing 400000 litres per annum
Terraformer: 2 module(s) producing 0.002 atm per annum

Fuel Capacity 400,000,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

It needs a tug boat, though, so here's that:

Code: [Select]
Akagi class Tug    13,350 tons     120 Crew     790.4 BP      TCS 267  TH 1200  EM 0
4494 km/s     Armour 1-50     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 37    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 18   
Tractor Beam     

StarTech Systems Model A (4)    Power 300    Fuel Use 8.84%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 2,000,000 Litres    Range 305.0 billion km   (785 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

- The Kongo-Class is actually my Awayhome-Class Habitat that I was too lazy to rename. My current plan is to tug a pair of 'em; one to Venus and one to Jupiter, then colonize Luna and Mars with actual settlements. This is Ion Engine Tech w/ Composite Armor. Five spare berths for an away team on the Awayhome-Class. It's frankly just an over-glorified fuel harvester with two Recreational Facilities and two Orbital Habitats. The RP for this is it was designed as a "city in space" with the recreational areas serving as a "commercial district" and the Orbital Habitat serving as both housing district and industrial district; the industrial district being supplemented by the ten Sorium Harvesters to create "jobs" The Akagi-Class is just a tug, I only plan to have one... I don't really like using tugs, as I'd much rather eat the maintenance and have some sensors and other niceties, but for a freakin million ton (plus!) ship? I'll tug it thanks...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:22:11 AM by xenoscepter »

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »
Fuel harvesters only work at gas giants, which can't be terraformed. It would be more efficient to have a dedicated design each for Jupiter and Venus than to use the same class in both places. Also storage for a thousand years of fuel harvesting capacity is probably excessive.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 07:07:51 PM »
Gas giants can't be colonised at all, so the habitat and recreational facilities are useless as well as the terraforming.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter