Author Topic: Development Progress - Jan 2015  (Read 7072 times)

Offline Rod-Serling (OP)

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
Development Progress - Jan 2015
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:37:12 PM »
Hey guys, I decided that this subforum is a little too dead, so I'm here to liven it up with a development status update!

We're not completely dead! Although progress is slow, this is a project that nobody is getting paid to make. If Coca-Cola would sponsor us, I would work full-time on it...

Since Alpha 3 Release we've added the following features:
Industry Tab is working! You can queue jobs and it looks just like Aurora!
Mining Tab is working! You can see how much Duranium is on a planet! Yay!
JumpPoints exist! And you can jump through them, generating new random systems! No Jumpdrives yet, but luckily we've put a Jumpgate on each JumpPoint, just for you guys.

And we've started to work out some of the coding gremlins that have been hiding down there for some time. Hopefully with fewer gremlins, we can push more features faster!

Also, I plan to start doing monthly development progress updates, mainly to try to keep myself honest. I'm hoping to push out Alpha 4 before February is over, but no breath holding! (Nathan will probably hate me for saying that)

Our main goal for Alpha 4 is to have a functional player empire, that can mine, build ships, colonize, and explore. We still have a LOT of work to do to get to that point however.

If you're interested in Pulsar, and specifically helping us do some of this crazy development, please don't hesitate to drop us a line.

Fair winds, and following seas my fellow space-addicts.

Also, wanted just a little shout-out to my BAE Engineer buddy. :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:47:51 PM by Rod-Serling »
This post is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Development Progress - Jan 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:41:43 PM »
Thanks for the update, and it looks like things are going well, even if slowly.

I'll be sure to have a talk with Coca-Cola ;).

Offline Witty

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:51 AM »
Awesome. Keep up the good work.

Offline misora

• m
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »
I wish you guys luck!

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 08:28:57 PM »
I would like to contribute, yes, but both backbone and UI coding will pose very difficult for me, especially in a general sense. What needs to be done, or what other assets could be desired at the time? Also, how do I compile the source, can I just toss it into codeblocks?

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:25:19 PM »
Also, how do I compile the source, can I just toss it into codeblocks?
Run the premake before doing that, I don't know if it will work on codeblocks. on the windows side of things we started with VS2010 C#.

Offline Rod-Serling (OP)

• Pulsar 4x Dev
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 10:03:15 PM »
Code::Blocks is a C/C++ and Fortran IDE. Not a C# IDE.

Try SharpDevelop or maybe MonoDevelop for a free C# IDE, though if I remember, a Visual Studios Express edition may be able to compile as well.

Offline Rod-Serling (OP)

• Pulsar 4x Dev
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 02:33:45 AM »
I would like to contribute, yes, but both backbone and UI coding will pose very difficult for me, especially in a general sense. What needs to be done, or what other assets could be desired at the time? Also, how do I compile the source, can I just toss it into codeblocks?

Most of the current work requires a good deal of programming knowledge. As for other assets, we could use better Icons. If you download the source and look in Pulsar4x.UI/Resources/Textures, you'll see the current icons in use.

We currently only have icons for TaskGroups, JumpPoints, and Planets/Stars. I would like the JumpPoint icon re-made correctly (I did it in 5 minutes in paint by flipping the TG icon upside down, cropping it and adding a gradient) as well as a new icons for Lagrange points, Missiles, and explosion detection. As with the current icons, they should be white to allow us to recolor them easily.

Beyond that, our main requirement is more programmers to dive in and get dirty.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 06:04:35 AM »
We're not completely dead! Although progress is slow, this is a project that nobody is getting paid to make. If Coca-Cola would sponsor us, I would work full-time on it...

If you are interested in changing that, ( and have some of the people involved interested & committed enough ) perhaps it can be worth the effort to think about a crowd-funding campaign like kick-starter later during the year if the game is in a playable shape where you can distribute a proof of concept pre-alfa version to show it off?

It is a longshot and will take some time to prepare, but if a simple cardgame about exploding kittens can raise this much money... why not give it a shot?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:10:45 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »
If you are interested in changing that, ( and have some of the people involved interested & committed enough ) perhaps it can be worth the effort to think about a crowd-funding campaign like kick-starter later during the year if the game is in a playable shape where you can distribute a proof of concept pre-alfa version to show it off?

It is a longshot and will take some time to prepare, but if a simple cardgame about exploding kittens can raise this much money... why not give it a shot?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens

I'm not sure if that would be legally ok, and I'm not particularly comfortable about promising anything about Pulsar 4x either.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
I'm not sure if that would be legally ok, and I'm not particularly comfortable about promising anything about Pulsar 4x either.

Depends what kind of deal you have with Steve and how much you are "copying" from his work, but for most art and software I think you are normally legally allowed to take pretty heavy inspiration of something else and redo it with your own tweaks and still call it original work ( at least according to most European law ).

But as long as you ask for (and receive) Steve's approval prior any legal issues should be pretty much moot point.

You are right though that it's crucial all developers on-board would need to be committed and feel comfortable promising to be able to deliver something though, and that is something you can only decide for yourself.

I do believe in you and would pledge you money at least for what it's worth ;D

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 09:58:56 PM »
Eh, in its current state, Pulsar is just too early to bother with it. Currently the audience is too small, developement too slow (as in, for this specific purpouse, uou guys are doing a good job for what you got!), et cetera.
What needs to be done first is expanding the audience, expanding the outsource developement participation, come up with head developers and determine who are the leading contributors, and THEN kickstarting can be considered. Doing it now would generate a whole lot of hype and can likely hinder chances of a more stable community later on.
As it is currently, you may be better off directly contributing donations to those actively pulling code for now, if you want.

Offline se5a

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 10:35:12 PM »
Code::Blocks is a C/C++ and Fortran IDE. Not a C# IDE.

Try SharpDevelop or maybe MonoDevelop for a free C# IDE, though if I remember, a Visual Studios Express edition may be able to compile as well.

Visual Studio Express works fine. I'm using 2012, though I expect 13 should work as well, not sure if the premake scipt thing would need to be tweeked for it though.

I guess I should jump back in and look for something I can do. it's been months since I've done *anything* programy.

don't suppose you guys want to move to IRC instead of skype?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:38:21 PM by se5a »

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 02:33:11 PM »
Visual Studio Express works fine. I'm using 2012, though I expect 13 should work as well, not sure if the premake scipt thing would need to be tweeked for it though.

I guess I should jump back in and look for something I can do. it's been months since I've done *anything* programy.

don't suppose you guys want to move to IRC instead of skype?

we're not really that active on Skype(and probably wouldn't be that active on IRC either), though I could probably idle on an IRC channel when I'm working on Pulsar.

Offline se5a

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
ok, I've registered #Pulsar4x on freenode.

freenode even have a webclient if you don't already have an irc client installed.

http://webchat.freenode.net/
type a nickname into the nickname field
put #Pulsar4x in the Channels: field
click connect.

I've added the channel to my auto connect list so if I'm online I'll likely be in there.