Author Topic: Creating the Most Realistic Earth Start  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Creating the Most Realistic Earth Start
« on: May 06, 2016, 11:27:45 AM »
Hello,
So I'm new here so I may be getting ahead of myself, but I wanted to shoot and ask for some ideas on how to make the most realistic Earth start. 

So, instead of the population being 500m (that's far to low) I made the population 6000m and the start date 2050 as 6 billion will be the number of working age people projected for 2050.   However, this creates a bit of a problem. 

See, I think the most realistic start would be for the player to start out as not a united Earth government but rather as the United Nations Space Authority which is a multi-national effort to explore and colonize space.   Of course, nations are reluctant to give up resources for things that don't only benefit them just like the real UN, so you don't have access to even a fraction of that sweet, sweet, Earth population, research centers, or space-ports.   Yet. 

I understand the game allows you to create different factions that come from the same planet.   Would it be possible to model this extra-governmental organization which despite being the sole human authority in space is limited in its resources? Can you then diplomatically "assimilate" Earth into a unified government to get Earth's full benefits?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:52:36 AM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: Creating the Most Realistic Earth Start
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
In the latest version, you can create an "unafilliated population", which is basically people in other countries. You can't assimilate them directly, but you can use them as colonists to people other planets.

Apart from that, you'd need to do it manually, by creating several Empire and SMing transfer of population and infrastructures yourself.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »
Another thing, I was watching the quill18 LP and all his asteroids and comets were named while mine are not despite taking the "generate real bodies"option.   Were they lost in an update?

Forgot to update to latest patch.  duh. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:43:33 PM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 09:42:44 PM »
Note that your starting factories, labs, etc are based on your starting population, so starting with more than the default 500 million gives you a massive jump start making the game easier, however I'f you're new to aurora it's more overwhelming to have such a fast start, you'll be building and researching fast but fairly blindly due to minimal experience.
You Could start with 500 million directly under your control and then add a few billion as a neutral population.
What I usually do, and many other players also do for this UN style game is add various other NPR populations representing Russia, China, EU USA, etc. But it leads to a slower game though.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »
I've twice tried to create as "realistic" as possible Sol start, once with United Nations and the second time with multiple factions. It's a waste of time trying to research things and then to fit them in Aurora. Best approach is to take 1-4 countries or factions, give them sufficient starting population, conventional industry and research labs to kinda mirror their position vis-a-vis each other in reality, and then work from there. Leave rest as a neutral "UN" faction or whatever for future migration to extra-Solar colonies purpose. Point is that you should enjoy the game you are playing, not toil frustratingly in trying to fiddle all details to mirror reality as much as possible.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:37:59 PM »
Escape Reality, Play a Game.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:00:36 PM »
The "its a game, it shouldn't be realistic" stance is not one I would expect people on this particular forum to take.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 05:13:22 AM »
Some of us have gotten bogged down in details by trying to take things a little too seriously, I should just play the game already.... Thiugh kind of blew up another laptop again. Lol. I think KSP just makes GPU's melt.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 07:10:19 PM »
The "its a game, it shouldn't be realistic" stance is not one I would expect people on this particular forum to take.
You completely misunderstood me. My point was, and is, that you should not get bogged down like MarcAFK said by trying to get a new game start to model Earth as of 2016 as closely as possible. You'll just end up frustrated. Aurora is not complex enough to model reality that closely.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »
Not 2016 Earth, I was thinking of a 2025 Earth where you have things like a pan-Asian group and a US+South American group (cause Imperator Trump and for some reason I can only get demographics 2025 for USA and South America instead of just USA). So not hundreds of different nations but more like 4 or 5.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 07:02:26 PM »
Aah okay, that is definitely doable. Check this:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=16.0
and this:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=222.0

to see how Steve pulled starts like that off. Note that the first, the Trans-Newtonian Campaign, is very old and used quite a different version of Aurora.