Author Topic: Space Stations  (Read 4806 times)

Offline xXKageAsashinXx

• Scrublord
  • Petty Officer
  • Shameful dispray!
Re: Space Stations
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
I feel like everything I typed up was disregarded...

That moment when you see the alien force, and realize it's bigger than yours.  

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 08:28:46 PM »
I think most of what you suggested is either already a possibility in the game's current or upcoming version, or it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. To me at least. What does it mean for crew number to be "based on infrastructure rather than crew quarters?" Maintenance is already free for orbital habitats, so long as they aren't classed as military. Don't want engines on your space stations? Don't put them on, then. And I'm not really sure why being a space station would make shields in particular work differently.

Distilling down the new feature requests to their essence, it seems like you want a tow-able colony nucleus, usable as a regular colony regardless of position. That's an interesting request, and mirrors a long held desire among some forumites for tow-able asteroids.

I don't think it will happen, even if it might be a neat idea. If Steve was jazzed about the idea, he probably would have made it happen years ago when the tow-able asteroid idea was first suggested. Moreover, the current and near future ability to create remote, non-planetary bases at arbitrary points is being built around the idea of those bases being logistically supported by more traditional planetary colonies and industry. Hauling maintenance supplies and fuel and ordnance from one colony to a station in deep space is logistically interesting, requiring the player to manage the flow of resources.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »
You also need to remember Steve has (recently for some of us) gone through and removed special case ship types like fighters and patrol craft, changing them to be built as ships.  I'd be really surprised if he suddenly reversed course for something that can pretty much already be simulated in game.  Though I would like a method of permanent modular assembly, kinda like a tractor beam with no power requirements that is more or less permanent
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 07:19:14 AM »
If Steve was jazzed about the idea, he probably would have made it happen years ago ...

Generally true, although I have a vague recollection in this case of him saying that he has a fundamental architectural problem in the VB code with making deep-space habitable objects.  The problem is that colonies/populations have to go on bodies, and a ship/unit is not a body.  My recollection is that he thought it would be too hard to change this.  So it's conceivable that it was just technical difficulties in the past and he'll set the C# code up so this can be done. 

John

PS - Not commenting on the idea, just that on the possibility of technical difficulties.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 06:06:18 AM »
It wasn't VB6 specifically but more that the whole program was designed around the assumption that populations were tied to system bodies. Fixing that would have been extremely complex.

Now I am recreating from scratch, I will have more flexibility in this area so it will be possible to have deep space populations. I just need to figure out the best way to handle it.