Author Topic: House rules for a multifaction game  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Triato (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
House rules for a multifaction game
« on: May 22, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to make a rule set for formations to be usefull and interesting in my current aurora game. I am controlling all the empires in the game, this way I can have a set of rules that all empires will follow.

The basic idea is to limit the amount of ships or tonage that can be in the same fleet and separated forom other fleets by more than 10000 Km. I wan´t it to be hard for a fleet to concentrate all of its missiles on a single fleet at the same time. Since all launching ships are at different positions, missiles should not arrive at the same time. However, with how fast missiles are the distance between the launching ships might have to be to long for this to work, trouble is, this could eliminate the importance of area defence beams (if ships are to separated, they would be outside of the area defence envelope).

I want to have battles where it is not only about when to launch, when to pursue or when to escape. I wan´t my ships to manouver, for relative positions of friendly ships matter and where the enemy formation makes me change mine. This could be achieved by limiting the amount of tons that can be in the same spot (maybe relating said limit to one or two techs). But that would give a very big avantage to missiles, unless we could somehow limit the amount of ships that can launch on a single fleet.

If you have any ideas please let me know!

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, sorry if it is not.

Finally, it´s been a long time since I wrote in english, I hope everythig is understandable.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
Re: House rules for a multifaction game
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »
You could try setting a minimum size to the missiles that the factions are allowed to use, maybe to something around 10 msp or so. This would reduce salvo density, giving your area defense a bit of a boost in their performance. You might also consider artificially limiting the speed of these missiles to somewhere around 2x your ship speeds to give your maneuvers more of an effect on missile trajectories. I haven't tried this sort of thing before so I'm not sure how well those rules might work, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.

The following users thanked this post: Triato

Offline Triato (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Re: House rules for a multifaction game
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply. The idea is not to límit missiles but to límit the fleet size and the amount of fleets that can concentra te firme con a single flleet. Initially I thod that misiles fired from diferentes fleets would arrive at diferentes times, but that is not the case becouse of aurora distances and missile speeds.

No  I am trying todo develop a rule set that restric the amount of fleet, ship tons or ship numbers that can firme on a given single fleet.

Tour ideas got me thinking con a diferentes direction. Thank you