Author Topic: Smaller units of troops?  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Starmantle (OP)

• Lieutenant
Smaller units of troops?
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:27:31 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been suggested or is already addressed in the interesting looking Aurora # ground combat changes.

I'd love to see soldiers routinely come in units of 100.

Like... my companies of 100 marines are great when I finally get them, but by that point, there's also no unit of soldiers that they can stand against.

It'd be great if my early command ships could have 100 garrison units as a security force or if I could be lugging around 100 combat engineers for deployment on a small PDC or something. 

I'd like it even more if I could move around troops around in squads of 10, but 100 sounds like if would cause less grief and get a lot of functionality.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:29:35 AM by Starmantle »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Smaller units of troops?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:53:52 AM »
These troops are mainly thought to be for boarding actions or to protect ships against bording actions.

You can also use them for invading defenceless installations. A couple of marine companies should also have a decent chance to win against a single garrison defending a smaller installation.

Offline Starmantle (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:40:06 AM »
No doubt.

But it doesn't seem odd to you that it takes 20,000 RP to develop soldiers that can move around in groups of 100?

I think it'd be more fun if it was possible to have a company of any unit of soldiers and to be able to defend ships and small PDCs with them. 

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 04:32:32 AM »
In C# Aurora, you can create any size unit you want as you specify the number of individual troops and vehicles.

Offline Starmantle (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
In C# Aurora, you can create any size unit you want as you specify the number of individual troops and vehicles.

That completely makes my day.  Many thanks!