Author Topic: Research cost on jumpdrives  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Count Sessine (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
Research cost on jumpdrives
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:32:14 AM »
Hi all

I just discovered that a military jumpdrive that open a wormhole for 25.000 ton ships cost more than 40.000 research points! Has this always been the case? I seem to remember it used to cost a lot less. I realise that I can bring the cost down researching jumpdrive efficiency, but still.. very strategic choice in that case :-)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Research cost on jumpdrives
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »
Try to first research a few levels of jump drive efficiency. This will benefit you in two ways.
1) Your jumpdrives will be significantly smaller, leaving more mass for other stuff and being cheaper to build too.
2) Developing (researching) the actual jumpdrive will be significantly cheaper in terms of researchpoints.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Research cost on jumpdrives
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
The problem is that the cost of the jump drive is based on the cost of the background tech used times the total size of the engine.  This means that while a jump engine that has an will move 5 hull spaces for each space used by the engine is more expensive than one that only gets 3 per hull space of engine, the total cost for a given capacity engine is going to be lower the higher your engine efficincy is.  I strongly recommend not building any jump engines untill you get an efficiency of at least 4 (4000 rp project) if not 5 (8000 rp project)  These are relitivly low cost to reasearch and will have a dramatic effect on the cost to both reasearch the specific engines (prototypeing) and building them into ships.

Brian