Author Topic: Missiles and Fire Controls  (Read 1377 times)

Offline ShadowLop (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
Missiles and Fire Controls
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:09:16 AM »
I don't know where I got this idea from, but I seem to remember that it is possible to link fire controls between ships.

Basically, I have a single "command" cruiser, with high-end missile control systems.
My actual missile destroyers have been found a little lacking in their range and I'm a little too slow to run the targets down.

Is there a way to link the missiles fired from the destroyers to the fire control on the cruiser and have it guide them in?
Or do I have to go home and re-design my fire controls?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Missiles and Fire Controls
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:27 AM »
You are out of luck.  Your missiles can only be controlled by the launcher/firecontrol that was specified when they were launched.  What you may be remembering is that any ship can provide the active sensors for you firecontrol to target a ship.  Currently all targets must be located on active sensors for a ships fire controls to be able to target them.  There are ways of firing missiles blind and having the missiles sensors provide final guidance to a target, but you won't be able to pick what the target is when the missiles arrive.

Brian

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:11:01 AM »
If you have some missiles with active or passive sensors, simply designate a waypoint at the suspected location of the enemy. You can than target that waypoint with the fire controls and if you are lucky, the missiles will pick up some enemy signatures.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline ShadowLop (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 01:58:10 AM »
If you have some missiles with active or passive sensors, simply designate a waypoint at the suspected location of the enemy. You can than target that waypoint with the fire controls and if you are lucky, the missiles will pick up some enemy signatures.

Ended up doing this. The enemy ships would keep zipping back and forth over a 500km patch of space, so I dropped about 100 self-guiding missiles on top of them. Tooke one down, crippled the second and smacked up the third.

Ended up having to game the AI/ticks to bring it within range, whereupon my fire controls could actually lock on. Then I shoved about 40 missiles down it's throat. :D