Author Topic: Simulating a "save" function  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Simulating a "save" function
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
Hello, I recently run into an error lockup situation with a longer game, which I cannot possibly escape of.  As soon as I click 5 seconds forward, a GroundBombardement related error completely blasts all my progress.  This wouldn't be much of a problem if I could just load an older save here, and just tried not to get into the situation again (due to insane matrix bug evasion skills ;D), but since everything in the game and every change you make is automatically saved in the one and only supersave, or more the 'state of the world' with that kind of supremacy, there is no rollback.  Furthermore, this makes me really reluctant in investing time in this again, because after all the fun I've had this game also proved to be incredibly fragile, so since the next game break event might just be around the next corner, there is severe risk that the same thing might blast all my work once again soon.
So I thought to myself, what if there would be a way to simulate a save? Would it be possible for example to just copy the game folder, or better, secure 1-4 of the main game files (if yes, which ones? -I assume the log)? Then you could just secure your progress after every session as a routine, and even though a bug would throw you back, it at least wouldn't completly ruin you like it does now in 6. 3 still.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Simulating a "save" function
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,178.0.html

Or just copy the stevefire.mdb. Which is what the above program does on an automated basis. (Note: it hasn't been tested with recent versions, but since it's just copying files should be okay.)

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Re: Simulating a "save" function
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
Oho, thanks.  A real tool is even better.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy