Author Topic: A large Binary System question  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Arakash (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
A large Binary System question
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »
I just ran into a strange situation that was a first for me, i found a binary system with some habitable planets orbiting both stars, which isnt unusual in my current game, however the distance between the two stars is for me.  The second star orbits at approx 90bil km from the main one, which even at 10k or so seems to be several months travel time one way.
I just today learned about LP's, but there isnt enough super jovians in the system for them.  (i think thats how it works)

I found some posts about hyper drives, which seem to be for this situation but the posts mentioned they were not implemented for 6. 0 but no mention of later versions.

Is anything orbiting the second star in this kind of system a total write off in most situations?
Im very new to the game, so if i misunderstood some mechanics sorry ahead of time.

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
Re: A large Binary System question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can really do without working hyper drives. I suggest writing it off. :(

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »
Any gas giant will have the lp's associated with it.  If there are no gas giants of any type (super jovian or regular gas giant) then you are out of luck.  Look at your F3 (System Map), the Lp's are marked and you will probably need to move and resize the display around to see things clearly.

Brian

Offline Arakash (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:30:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
I looked for LP's, other than planets on both stars:
Star A has 1 Gas Giant
Star B has a Gas Giant and a Super Jovian
No LP's appear on ship order screens or on the map.

I think ill just write it off, luckily there isnt anything really valuable on the second star, other than a candidate for terraforming and some 0. 7 duranium.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
Any gas giant will have the lp's associated with it.  If there are no gas giants of any type (super jovian or regular gas giant) then you are out of luck.  Look at your F3 (System Map), the Lp's are marked and you will probably need to move and resize the display around to see things clearly.

I thought whether or not a gas giant had LP was random, but I could be mis-remembering.

John

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:10:49 AM »
I just did a quick search,  in the v3 implementation they stated to be a use of super Jovian L5's.  As far as I know Steve has not changed this aspect, only improvements to the code for NPR/civilian use of them.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »
I had done a search as well.  I couldn't find when it was changed but there is a definate change.  I created 5 systems, three of them had at least 1 gas giant, for a total of 7 gas giants and 4 super jovians.  All 11 had lp's associated with them.  Four of the five systems were single star and the fifth was a trinary.  It did not seem to matter though as they all had the lp's.  This is in version 6.2

Brian

Offline Mirage

• Leading Rate
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »
Quote from: Nightstar link=topic=5905. msg60358#msg60358 date=1361200287
I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can really do without working hyper drives.  I suggest writing it off.  :(
I'm somewhat confused as to their purpose.  What do they do, and are they working in 6. 2 or not?  ???

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »
Hyper drives do not work in 6.2

Hyper drives give you 10x normal speed after you are some distance from the star. Most interesting objects in a system are too close in to use hyper drives for. Their main purpose was to move between distant binaries in a reasonable amount of time. In other words, this exact situation.

Offline Jeltz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 06:44:09 PM »
I just ran into a strange situation that was a first for me, i found a binary system with some habitable planets orbiting both stars, which isnt unusual in my current game, however the distance between the two stars is for me.  The second star orbits at approx 90bil km from the main one, which even at 10k or so seems to be several months travel time one way.
I just today learned about LP's, but there isnt enough super jovians in the system for them.  (i think thats how it works)

I found some posts about hyper drives, which seem to be for this situation but the posts mentioned they were not implemented for 6. 0 but no mention of later versions.

Is anything orbiting the second star in this kind of system a total write off in most situations?
Im very new to the game, so if i misunderstood some mechanics sorry ahead of time.

I'm in similar situation but with a binary system with a very huge gas giant (and several interesting moons) at +90b and 3 LP: you may think "Ok, jump on the relative LP", unfortunately the distance between this planet and the relative LP is greater than that from itself and the other planets, something like +95b... The only thing that I can do is a TF with a GeoSurvey and a megatanker/supplier and... a lot of time. Please, we need Hyper technology!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:20:13 AM by Jeltz »

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »
I'm in similar situation but with a binary system with a very huge gas giant (and several interesting moons) at +90b and 3 LP: you may think "Ok, jump on the relative LP", unfortunately the distance between this planet and the relative LP is greater than that from itself and the other planets, something like +95b... The only thing that I can do is a TF with a GeoSurvey and a megatanker/supplier and... a lot of time. Please, we need Hyper technology!

Ya, I think that's purposeful, or at least the way it is (if not the intent of the Almighty Steve).  The LP is always 60 degrees trailing behind the body of which it is the LP, meaning that the LP, the super jovian, and the sun it's circling from an equilateral triangle.  So jumping to an LP and going to the super jovian is always going to be just as long (longer, counting getting to the other LP in the first place) than just going straight from the sun to the body.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »
Ya, I think that's purposeful, or at least the way it is (if not the intent of the Almighty Steve).  The LP is always 60 degrees trailing behind the body of which it is the LP, meaning that the LP, the super jovian, and the sun it's circling from an equilateral triangle.  So jumping to an LP and going to the super jovian is always going to be just as long (longer, counting getting to the other LP in the first place) than just going straight from the sun to the body.

For those who aren't familiar with the details, "LP" stands for Lagrange Point, which (as I assume most people on the board know) are dictated by physics to be +/- 60 degrees.  So the extent of Steve's choice was in placing the magic in-system jump points at Lagrange points, and then placing them according to physics :)

John

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
Well, there are a few LPs per body. Steve chose that particular one for aurora.

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »
Right, there's 5 in the standard 3-body, and he's coded in L4, or L5?  Google.  L5.  Of course, selecting which of those creates the magical jump point is the purview of Steve the Great and Powerful.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Jeltz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »
Addendum: why if Hyper technology has been removed in 6.x, in the Research panel I can research the Hyper Drive Size Multipier 1.5 technology?  ???