Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 169074 times)

Offline hostergaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
Re: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #705 on: July 26, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
Suggestion:

Make us design ship hulls rather than ships.  That is, instead of designing a complete ship and tooling a shipyard for it we design a hull with various hull spaces, hard points and mounts where ship system appropriate for said spot can mounted.  Have said hull be a racial research, then shipyards can tool for said hull.  After that ship variants can be designed from said hull (and possibly researched), by adding different systems in the appropriate places and all variants can then be build in the shipyard tooled for said hull.

See for example Star Citizen and their hull variation for inspiration. 

More elaborate explanation here

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:28:26 PM by hostergaard »

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn

Offline hostergaard

• h
« Reply #706 on: July 26, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »
Suggestion:

Civilian contracts for racial tech (and possibly ships),

Instead of having your researcher do the engineering work of researching racial tech have private companies do it by defining system specs (kinda like wedo now) and have civilian companies develop their own designs that varies somewhat in specs, features, cost and so on (partially random, partially according to each company strength and weaknesses, tough they always at minimum add here to the given specs) that they use as a bid on said system specs. The player can then give out various contracts to said companies.

More here

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:47:19 PM by hostergaard »

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn

Offline Seolferwulf

• S
« Reply #707 on: August 05, 2017, 11:36:03 AM »
Suggestion: Catapults.
A new ship component which enables ships and space stations to launch other ships over a distance for military and commercial uses.
Link to the thread with a more detailed explanation:
http:aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9633.0

Seems like I'm not yet allowed to post proper links D:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:48:53 AM by sloanjh »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #708 on: August 07, 2017, 08:48:31 AM »
Seems like I'm not yet allowed to post proper links D:

I fixed it for you.  IIRC There's a post count that you should be hitting soon.

John

The following users thanked this post: Seolferwulf

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #709 on: August 08, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
Some suggestions for C# officers:

1. Brig, which allows for the placement of an intelligence officer on a ship. I like to have a fast, stealthy ship with emergency cryopods move around the battlefield picking up lifepods, but I hate having to manually install a high Intelligence CO on these ships.

2. Joint Command Centre, which allows the placement of an Army officer on a ship, to support ground forces on a planet's surface.

3. Security Station, which allows for a security officer to protect against boarding action.

The following users thanked this post: Kelewan

Offline Belnivek

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
« Reply #710 on: August 11, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »
I would like to see Lagrange Points added to orbiting stars.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #711 on: August 11, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »
Suggestion:

Allow us to switch back to the VB6 color scheme.  Personally I find the new UI a little straining to read.

Offline Zerkuron

• Z
More sophisticated Migtation
« Reply #712 on: August 19, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »
I had some thoughts on migration (moving colonists around).

Right now we have 3 factors in moving colonists as far as I noticed (written in pseudo code).

- population supported by infrastructure
            - if PSBI is > population --> demand more colonist
            - else --> do not demand colonists

- civilian colonisation status
            - if destination of colonist or pop < 25M --> request colonists
            - if stable or source of colonist --> do not request colonist
            - if source of colonist --> supply colonist

- amount of colony ships == how many people can be moved at any given point

With the introduction of maximum Population in C# Aurora I would love to see a more sophisticated system. The System would work around migration pressure (MP). Negativ MP leads to emigration (leaving) and positiv leads to immigration (arriving).
Different factors should affect this MP. I want to give here some suggestions.

MP settles to 0 around 50% max population on Planet.
   - if actual pop < 50% max pop --> add MP
   - if actual pop > 50% max pop --> lower MP
   (greater deviation translates to more Pressure change)

Workforce influences MP it trends to 0 if there is no surplus nor shortage of workers.
   - if Available workers is < 0 --> add MP
   - if Available workers > 0 --> lower MP

Infrastructure influences MP. It trends to 0 if Infrastrucure is utilized to 100%. Planets with 0 colonization cost should be more attractive, because I imagine, that people want to live in places where they can walk outside without EVA suite.
   - if PSBI > actual pop --> add MP
   - if PSBI < actual Pop --> lower MP
   If colonization cost is 0 --> add  X-amount MP

Recreational facilities add MP they need workers to work properly

Protection influences MP.
   -if Requested Protection Level  > Actual Protection Level --> lower MP

How colonyships distributes colonists is determent by MP Rank. higher MP leads to more ships delivering lower MP leads to less deliveries. negativ MP leads to supply colonists.

- all positiv MP are added --> all +MP
   - all negativ MP are added --> all -MP

- if MP of Planet is > 0 --> MP of Planet / all +MP   
   - if MP of Planet is < 0 --> MP of Planet / all -MP

Ranking in List and distribute colonyship movement accordingly.

The following users thanked this post: Kelewan

Offline Kelewan

• K
« Reply #713 on: August 20, 2017, 03:42:27 AM »
I like the idea, but there should still be some override/player controlled policy.

1.  there might be only Colonies with MP > 0, so the new Colony will not receive settlers:
    For example at the beginning on Earth the pop is < 50 % max pop, PSBI > actual pop and  colonization cost is 0.  Only available workers will reduce this by a little bit.

2.  the Civil Transporter AI does not take the settlers already the route into account.  so it tends to send to many

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #714 on: August 21, 2017, 07:15:38 AM »
Clearly not an idea for the current Aurora but for Aurora C, would it be possible to implement a system of food requirements to populations? Now I am not proposing some huge complex system of specific goods, but more just a case of having populations limited by the use of an installation. I know we already have a set % that are allocated as food industry workers but it can seem very odd sometimes to wonder just how 50bn people are first of all able to fit physically on Earth and secondly how they are actually able to feed that many. TN space magic or not we have systems in place that limit ship maintenance and such so the concept of logistic limits already exist.

How about a system where for a colony zero plant a population would require nothing to start with, after all a few thousand people can easily feed and house themselves. Then population is limited by a ratio method of installations, call them what you want but they would represent both the actual food industry and the physical amount of space on the planet to do anything. If it could be done then take things one step further with hard limits based on a planet size, possibly allowing for techs to raise this limit by a % amount, arcology buildings, mile high ecumenopolis planets and so on.

For me I always feel that one of the issues is population in that once I find myself a good few sources of minerals then my industry can simply rocket upwards. Earth has all the population you ever need and happily grows to monumental numbers, so you just end up with 3000 or so construction factories and now have the ability to churn out anything you want in mere months. With population controls and limits, it will make the empire colonies into something of greater use than yet another source of minerals to be shipped back to Earth.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #715 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »
Largely solved Rich, in the next version of Aurora there's an upper level to the amount of population that can be settled on a planet.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #716 on: August 21, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
Related suggestion:

Make the population limit subject to at least one tech.  Specifically something like "civil engineering".  To represent arcologies, i.e. single, huge buildings that are self-sufficient cities.  Imagine how many people could fit on Earth if all of it was covered in 1-2 mile tall buildings each a city in itself.  That's way more than 50 billion.

Offline Seolferwulf

• S
« Reply #717 on: August 22, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
Related suggestion:

Make the population limit subject to at least one tech.  Specifically something like "civil engineering".  To represent arcologies, i.e. single, huge buildings that are self-sufficient cities.  Imagine how many people could fit on Earth if all of it was covered in 1-2 mile tall buildings each a city in itself.  That's way more than 50 billion.

As an addition to this: Underground Housing.
There's so much space underground and people make hardly use of it :D

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #718 on: September 04, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »
Suggestion - Production Anomalies

I'd like to see a most robust, engaging economy. There's a lot of ways that this could be done, but here's a couple initial suggestions, and a couple long-term suggestion that could be implemented only after an economy overhaul.

Take the research anomaly system that already exists and expand it to include anomalies that can boost or alter (or nerf!) production of specific items, whether it's specific trade goods, component categories (lasers, missiles, shields, cloaks, etc), or installations (mines, factories, PDCs, infrastructure, etc), or even just a direct boost to 'wealth' production. This change alone would be enough to tempt players to spread out their production. It's a big change from the current situation where, more often than not, the homeworld (and sometimes planets that have been terraformed/grown enough to become essentially identical to the homeworld) is where all meaningful production takes place and all goods go to and from it. Instead, you'd have the option to boost production by having worlds dedicated to certain products, from which goods would then have to be shipped where they are needed.

I'd make these sorts of production anomalies rather frequent, perhaps with more rare types that have more dramatic effects. The idea is to make colonized worlds more unique, especially in terms of economy, and to give the players a choice between more efficient but spread out production (more/better goods at the cost of the delays and vulnerabilities that come with shipping,) or more concentrated production (which also allows for more concentrated defenses) but without making full use of production anomalies.

Alongside this I'd also recommend re-looking at the Trade Goods system, where the goal would be to make them more meaningful and impactful, and especially more engaging for players. One possibility that I'd considered was giving some planets the ability to produce unique/rare trade goods that have special effects, such as increased population growth or better environmental tolerances to populations that have access to such a product. With it being planet specific, again, trade between worlds is made more engaging and meaningful, and the choice of which worlds to develop and how become more difficult and impactful.

With this, I'd include a way for players to choose between more interventionist trade policies (government gets more or less say in where trade goods are shipped and how many of each are produced, as well as setting import/export taxes and tariffs on specific goods, like a tea tax) or more laissez-faire  trade policies which would be the current system where trade goods are solely the province of private citizens/organizations (shipping companies and the colonists that produce the goods determine what happens with them, with little to no input from government/player.) Trade policies can affect production growth rates, maximum production capacity (probably per colonist working to produce the goods?), or a host of other possible effects to choose from. They could and probably should come in both domestic and foreign variants, where the domestic policies control how much of which goods are produced, where, and how much of what can/should be shipped to which planets, and foreign policies regulate how much of which goods we are willing to trade to and/or from any other specific empire (a full ban on Cuban cigars so our citizens can pretend they're somehow better than other cigars by virtue of being harder to obtain!) Policies regarding immigration/emigration between empires could even be introduced alongside (or after) this is implemented, using a very similar system.

Once trade goods are improved, we can then even start looking at more trade-related diplomatic options (trade sanctions against specific products, for instance, to allow trade between two empires while still denying access to unfavorable trades/markets.) There could even be things like trade wars, where total warfare is not permitted (no land-invasions, possibly other restrictions) but enemy shipping/fleets are free game, and planetary/system blockades could be a main feature of this sort of limited engagement. This is only as meaningful/impactful as the trade goods in question, though, so making those more important would have to come first.

Legality of goods is another thing to consider for after trade goods have been overhauled, where we could include things like military grade stimulants which you may or may not want in your military (short term combat effectiveness boosts at the expense of nasty side-effects?) but you certainly would not want in your civilian populations (increased Unrest relative to how much of the product is available in your population?) Could also include things like slave labor, legal in empires which practice slavery but illegal in empires where slavery has been abolished. There's a whole host of products that could play nicely in a system like this. Legal (read: minimal diplomatic effect) destruction/seizure of ships belonging to other empires when they are caught carrying illegal goods through your space could be a thing in this, along with a cargo-scanner module and perhaps other stuff for 'military police' ships (or a Coast Guard, or whatever you want to call your empire's Customs officials.) Alongside it, piracy and smuggling could be introduced.

But really, the suggestion is just to keep economic gameplay in mind when re-coding everything in C# so that at the very least it can be easily expanded on once economy becomes more of a development priority. Personally, expanded/improved economic gameplay is a top request of mine, so the sooner this happens the better. (Okay, maybe I just want more fun and impactful space-submarine and trade-interdiction gameplay, so sue me!)

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #719 on: September 08, 2017, 02:56:24 AM »
Just added a suggestion for ECM/ECCM systems in suggestion board. Here's the gist of it:

Make ECM have a more pronounced effect on combat by making it have a direct influence on missiles themselves instead of just fire control range. This would be done by making ECM deactivate (not destroy or change), a missile's tracking systems if it is in range.

*Occupy, distract, thin salvos, not destroy them;
*ECM range affected by ECM ship's sensor range;
*Number of missiles deactvated based on ECM rating, possibly based on a point system;
*ECCM reactivates missiles, or keeps them from being deactivated in the first place.