Author Topic: They don't show on active sensor, please help!  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
They don't show on active sensor, please help!
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:02:03 AM »

As usual, the screenshots get resized on the forum, so I'll explain the parameters... and you tell me if this is normal and what I should expect...

On screen center in yellow, a flotilla of FAC, plus a scout with active sensor ON, of resolution 20, 20 m kms range.

In red, 8.3 m kms to the north, 84 enemy FAC, 800 tons size.

They only show in passive sensor... Not in active sensor. End result, I can't target them... As you see, the assign target list only shows waypoints, and the contact list make them disappear if I ask to only show active detection... So the active scanner don't see them... The question is why??

I understand that 800 tons being smaller than 1000 tons, the 20 m kms range of my scanner is degraded... But to the point it don't see a FAC 8.3 m kms away? This sounds weird... So my only explanation, baring a bug is that the enemy FAC have a kind of stealth technology.

If you can help me understand the problem, I would appreciate. My strategy was based on firing on them from afar, and this is failing miserably.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: They don't show on active sensor, please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:35:04 AM »
Can we see your active sensor design?

You may have the grossly wrong resolution sensor array to pick up a sub 1k FAC.
I see you have it set to 800 ton rather than sensor ton at 1000... seems to me you should be able to pick it up as well.  Would still like to see
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:58:44 AM by Thiosk »

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:23:12 AM »

They have resolution 20... 800 tons is resolution 16. I can't imagine they degrade so much in range to not see them...

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:27:29 AM »
Their degredation should be (16/20)(16/20) or .64 of normal range.  as you detect size 20 out to 32.19m km you will detect size 16 out to 20.6m km.  This is a sizable reduction in range.  You however are saying that your sensors only see targets normally within 20m km in which case the size 16's would be seen within 12.8m km.  In both cases you should be seeing these FAC's as 8-9m km.  Are you sure you have your active sensors on?  That is the most comonly seen mistake.  If the ship with the sensors has sensors off for some reason then you might be having a problem.  To check go to the ship details screen (F6) and look at the scout ship.  There is a button for sensors on and off and it will tell you as well if the sensors are on.  Check that just to be sure.

Hope that helps as I don't have any other idea's for you.

Brian

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:47:34 AM »
I can definitively assure you that the sensor is ON. Its range is 32 m kms, not 20, 20 is the range of my missiles, my error. So I'm well into the range of detecting the FAC, unless they have a stealth coating or this is a bug.

See the image.

Flotilla 6 has a ship with an active sensor range, this is the upper light blue circle, distance to contact (84 FAC), 6.2m

The lower circle is another sensor, on board of Expedition fleet, further south.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
How did you turn the sensors on?  With the button on the combat tab of the Individual Units (F6) window, or with a fleet movement order (on the F12 window)?  I've noticed several times my ships claiming to have their active sensors 'ON' after clicking the F6 button, but not actually working until they complete their current movement order.

The easiest workaround is to simply set a Waypoint 3-4 seconds' travel time in front of your ship and erase and reissue the movement orders to your fleet with 'Activate Sensors at Waypoint X' as the new first order.  Unfortunately, with Inexperienced Fleet Penalties on this can take up to a minute to fully execute, so in a chase you'll lose a lot of ground.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:45:14 AM by Father Tim »

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
I activate them with a general TG order, but for the sake of being sure, I did that again... And nothing changed.

If a good soul can inspect my saved game (6 MB) and tell me what is going wrong, I would really like to fire on the incoming hostiles!  :-[  :P

http://www.mediafire.com/?4lm9nc43qxh6341

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »
whats the range and resolution on your missile fire controls? It those that decide what you can shoot whislt you active just shows you what is out there.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:49 AM »
whats the range and resolution on your missile fire controls? It those that decide what you can shoot whislt you active just shows you what is out there.

Fire Control has no effect regarding detection, only targeting. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
Although chrislocke is right, I now have them registered as targets at the 2m mark... And this is consistent with the fire control resolution of 50...

As for on active scanner or not, they seem to be at this range... You are never too sure because the checkbox 'active only' is rather bugged (well the display associated with it)...

Bottom line, I think things are working correctly...

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
I have looked at your database. 

Your active sensors show a contact.  This is shown on the Tactical Intelligence screen (you have a tonnage estimate, therefore active sensor contact)
The problem is your firecontrol.  Your PT-Boat fast attack craft have this:

Code: [Select]
Missile Fire Control FC21-R50 (1)     Range 21.2m km    Resolution 50
They can't target the 800ton fac until they reach 2mkm or so according to my calculations. 

Will close and try to shoot.  Edit afterwards. 
EDIT: nvm, you seem to have done it. 

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
Thanks all in any case!

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »
I should have looked at the original image more closely.  The display of 800tons will only be there with an active return.  The red is not an indication of thermal contact, it's a function of the target being registered as a hostile. 

After that the ability to target is a function of the fire control.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »
Im glad i read this.  I think my fire controls are insufficient to strike the 100+ facs in the neighboring starsystem-- the ones my fleet is rapidly approaching.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 02:09:47 AM »
I should have looked at the original image more closely.  The display of 800tons will only be there with an active return.  The red is not an indication of thermal contact, it's a function of the target being registered as a hostile. 

After that the ability to target is a function of the fire control.

This is what lost me too... If I know before hand they are 800 tons, but I'm currently only seeing them with thermal, do they show '800 tons' in the system display?

I learned a lot from my problems though...