Author Topic: Campaign Background  (Read 9375 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Campaign Background
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
My fingers are itching for an update...  ;D

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 05:50:17 AM »
My fingers are itching for an update...  ;D

Probably tomorrow. I have played to the point where everyone has converted their industry, built their first ground forces and started building ships. One house even has nine shipyards now. Another house was crippled early on by having only a single scientist who could manage 5 research labs, while everyone else was using 16. Took a long time to get a second scientist and that one could also only manage 5 labs too :)

The following users thanked this post: bro918

Offline BlckKnght

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10192. msg110749#msg110749 date=1541155817
Another house was crippled early on by having only a single scientist who could manage 5 research labs, while everyone else was using 16.  Took a long time to get a second scientist and that one could also only manage 5 labs too :)

Any chance of "fixing" that issue in some way? I abandoned my most recent Conventional Start game when my only scientist died about 8 years into the game (I had 6 Military Academies at that point, but they only produced useless officers).

The obvious fix would be to allow labs to run research with no scientist leading the project.  If even a 0% bonus (or wrong disciplined) scientist should be considered a big benefit, maybe working with no high level supervision should give the labs a -25% or -50% penalty or something?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10192. msg110749#msg110749 date=1541155817
Another house was crippled early on by having only a single scientist who could manage 5 research labs, while everyone else was using 16.  Took a long time to get a second scientist and that one could also only manage 5 labs too :)

Any chance of "fixing" that issue in some way? I abandoned my most recent Conventional Start game when my only scientist died about 8 years into the game (I had 6 Military Academies at that point, but they only produced useless officers).

The obvious fix would be to allow labs to run research with no scientist leading the project.  If even a 0% bonus (or wrong disciplined) scientist should be considered a big benefit, maybe working with no high level supervision should give the labs a -25% or -50% penalty or something?

I'll add an option for the SM to add scientists or other commanders.

The following users thanked this post: hyramgraff

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
Rooting for France and the space Templars.

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
Did the old imperial family of Japan all die post-WWIII?  My understanding is that Japan's imperial family has (or at least is claimed to have?) an unbroken line of succession dating back to Japan's first emperor, or something to that effect.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:59:59 PM by the obelisk »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 10:14:00 PM »
I'll add an option for the SM to add scientists or other commanders.

I remember both an 'Add Officer' and a 'Redo Officers' (which took a number of years as an argument) button available in SM Mode in VB Aurora.  I've certainly used both to deal with otherwise crippling RNG results (and the seemingly inevitable Convetnional Start problem of 90% of fleet officers not having a command for the first five-to-ten years of the campaign and therefore being deemed "excess to requirements" and let go right before my first round of vessels finish building).

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
Did the old imperial family of Japan all die post-WWIII?  My understanding is that Japan's imperial family has (or at least is claimed to have?) an unbroken line of succession dating back to Japan's first emperor, or something to that effect.

The truth is... it's complicated, and I understand there's a lot of pressure for academics to not look too closely at those claims.

However, it probably wouldn't be hard for an upcoming new leader to reveal (real or fake) claims that he has some relation to the imperial line. They have offshoots just like anyone else.