Author Topic: NPR Question  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Maltay (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
NPR Question
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:28:55 PM »
Some of the campaign stories make reference to what NPRs are doing before the player has met the NPRs.  For example, NPRs fighting one another.  First, am I correct to assume the player is referring to NPRs created when the game was created rather than generated NPRs?  Second, I have created a game with 5 NPRs and enabled NPR generation.  However, with SM mode on when in game I cannot select any other empires, nor do I see any NPRs when I contrast my empire with other empires.  Any help please?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: NPR Question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:42:36 PM »
NPRs created by the system (at start and then generated by exploration) are not controllable by the player or SM. This is due to the fairly precise AI code that Steve has created. If you were able to control the NPR you could cause them more harm than good.

You can tell if two NPRs are fighting by entering SM mode and looking at the Events window, it will say something along the lines of 'NPR Combat imminent, time-increment has been shortened'. That is the only way (short of Steve's special access) to tell what is going on 'elsewhere'.

I would suggest that having 5 NPRs at the start may be a bit excessive. I normally play with just the one at the start and have yet to have a boring game as there are other AIs out there other than NPRs ;)

Also, 5 NPRs can slow the game down - Steve is a great programmer but since he is building on an App he has been working on for years the language doesn't scale well.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »
Quote from: "Maltay"
Some of the campaign stories make reference to what NPRs are doing before the player has met the NPRs.  For example, NPRs fighting one another.  First, am I correct to assume the player is referring to NPRs created when the game was created rather than generated NPRs?  Second, I have created a game with 5 NPRs and enabled NPR generation.  However, with SM mode on when in game I cannot select any other empires, nor do I see any NPRs when I contrast my empire with other empires.  Any help please?

Follow-up on Beer's comments:  So the NPRs that you're seeing in the writeups are probably player-controlled NPR.  These are probably from old campaigns (before the NPR AI was built); another possibility is that the author turned off computer-control for these NPR when he generated them.

John

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »
To add to John's comments:

Those comparison tools are from when all NPR's were actually player controlled and not AI controlled.  They still function if you build NPR's that are player controlled (ie you can see them under SM Mode).  If the NPR is only viewable under Devoloper Mode the tools won't pull them in.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Maltay (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »
Okay.  Makes much more sense now.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Bobarossa

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »
On my computer there is a "Logs" folder (not with Aurora folder) that contains log files (such as 'y6,txt' and yes that is a comma not a dot).  The log file contains info on what you and all the NPR's are doing. I can't figure out when these files are created as my newest one was from two days ago and doesn't have what happened when I played last night.  It does contain about a year's worth of data.  I'm very sure I did not have SM on at that time.