Author Topic: Pulsar 4X Ideas  (Read 30215 times)

Offline iceball3

• Captain
Re: Pulsar 4X Ideas
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2017, 05:34:53 AM »
Some thoughts on heat, if implemented -

Heat Loss components could properly be called radiators. 

There might be special shield and weapons tech that actually reduced heat, as an interesting design possibility.

I'm not sure what purpose exactly heat pump tech would serve.

The amount of heat being actively radiated could of course add to thermal signature.  There could be a 'stealth mode' toggle where ships turn off their radiators temporarily and let heat build up, like the shields up/down or sensors on/off toggles.
I imagine heatpumps would be specifically designed around moving heat from critical components into more massive heatsinks, where it could either be stored within or transferred to radiators.

Speaking of which, would it be reasonable for ships to convect their heat against atmospheres (at variable efficiency, depending on heat/pressure) of planets they're stationed at by coasting off the top, or even perhaps straight into the ground if fully docked?

Also, I gain great amusement knowing that with a heating system, someone's probably going to take the newly re-balanced beam weapons (designed to be smaller and otherwise cheaper/more potent to compensate for all these new effectively-logistics-nerfs to them) and make the space 4x equivalent of the giant robot in this video:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:37:06 AM by iceball3 »

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2017, 02:52:45 AM »
The Heat Pump would take one Heat from ship to nother. So you could have Combat Ships, with Heat Sinks but with little to no Radiators. (Yea, better word.) ANd so you can multiple ships service by one Support Ship cooling them off. 

FACs may be weaken quite a bit with heat. Though if they could return to a Support Ship where they can off load their Heat, this would mitigate it.

The Stealth Tech themselves would generate heat, and would already doing its job at lowering the heat profile of the ship regardless. This wouldnt really need to be changed mechanically. Its numbers would need to be tweaked. This would make Stealth maybe weaker, but more interesting as it'll be limited by how long it can be an oven.

This may also require to generate an ambient heat map of a given system. It may be fast enough to know how warm the dead of space is compared to the distance (and stats of the star). The further away you are, the more efficient radiators are.

planetfall

« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2017, 09:22:43 PM »
I think it would be really nice if instead of made up elements like duranium you used real ones like iron, nitrogen, carbon etc.  I also think it would be cool if you could gradually disassemble whole planets and turn it into Dyson swarms of rotating habitats.  Also just a small tweak I'd really like is if you could install a pair of mass drivers inside a jumpgates so that you don't need to use ships to ferry goods between them.  As for ships I think it would be cool if you had a 3d building system like Children of a Dead Earth so you can see what your doing, kind of far out there but that is what this thread is about.