Author Topic: Anyone else draw their ships?  (Read 20468 times)

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Re: Anyone else draw their ships?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 08:55:05 AM »
Necrooo :D

BlackHorse class shell is a simplicity incarnate. Its a simple structural shell equipped with two NERVA Nuclear Thermal engines and basic Sniffer class Active sensor.
Its a basic foundation for every Federation design, from the workhorse of the colonization effort, the Navarra class cargo ship, the Clemenceau class colony ships, Exeter class troop transports right to more rare Zulu class asteroid miners and Ceylon class Tankers.
Its also the basis for the GEV Korolev design and single engine version ( Mustang ) of it is the base for Copernicus class grav survey vessel - first "military" vessel in the history of the Federation.

Every shipyard simply adds the required parts ( cargo modules, colony modules etc ) to the prefabricated hull - the result is the quick and easy production that can be compared to the Liberty/Victory class production in the USA during World War 2.

Made by the Galactic Civilization 3 ship designer as i lack any photoshop/GIMP/Paint skills.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:59:03 AM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 03:45:25 PM »
We had some remarks here before GalCiv 3 came out, that the editor there could well be used to visualize some Aurora designs.
Well, I did it too in some other side testgame, and since you are uploading them now... . I didn't play the game from some weeks after release, so these here are relatively old already:

First thing I tried was some sort of completely offensive frigate with I believe 25kt mass, and deployed in sets of 3 at least.

-----
Obviously Warhammer inspired, as with the rest of the ships. It only fired size 1 missiles (/shells) as a broadside, -100 of them in a salvo-, and it was the prototype experiment that lead to the much more streamlined and just as successful frigate that I later used in the logged EU Stars game.

Well, I liked the Warhammer route, so I had to think of a way to design some sort of Strike Cruiser for ground invasions that used similar schematics:

-----
60kt with identical fire power and speed to the large frigate above.(though the design doesn't look much bigger here) Had much more armor though, and of course the drop capacity.(some basic sensors too, - my 'must have' rule for cruisers)

Lastly the most precious thing. Completely inspired by Wh40k Armatus Cruiser (I think english name is Dauntless):

-----
I forgot whether it was 50 or 60kts. I had one best available active and passive sensor, and here I tested that also much smaller size-1 spam will crack the defenses of pretty much all encounters, so I had space for some ineffective style weaponry.
Meant to operate alone by standing at a distance as spotter at the flanks of a main fleet (or the enemy fleet), and still has high enough speed to accomplish this. Power factor was x1, I believe, but on 40% engine tonnage.
I am a fan of all light cruisers, as they manage to balance "feeling heavy", yet magically also still handle nimbly. Both, the Wh40k battlefleet gothic, as the Rouge Trader version of Armatus are excellent and efficient designs in comparison to others.

Light cruisers as this in Aurora only become viable when you are sure that your best active also outranges enemy missiles, because otherwise it will go down like nothing ever was there. It can however easily pick on smaller targets you find in most non-npr, but spoiler ridden systems, so I had to realize that this is a comfort function ship too. Like a non-survey, but military exploration ship that clears the front of newly discovered systems of rubble, so civils can safely traverse.
Is planned to find extraordinary high use in the future reboot of EU Stars once TL 5 era comes around.

---
I have not created any other ships in GalCiv 3 since then though, and am kind of reluctant to do so in future. You usually think you have a pretty clear picture of your ships in your head, but once you try to really "draw" them out, you have to realize the amount of details you lack, and how blurry that vision really was. Consequently it takes ages to really render the idea out, and in the end I personally am not even fully satisfied, as the product was in every case still slightly besides what I originally wanted.
Also, it takes ages to do still. Figuring out the last one was the work of a complete afternoon if I remember correctly, because details are really hard to get in GalCiv when the proto-components there simply lack a part that you have in your vision.(like the heavy prow there, which is actually faked by blending over a dozen other components together in a way where they nullify each others shortcomings. same, but not as severe with the broadsides, or the "turrets")
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 06:26:29 AM »
I think the problem with this ship designer is the same as with Dwarf Fortress - so many options, so many possibilities that you simply get overwhelmed. That plus the not-the-best UI and controls.
What i like is the fact that most of the "real" parts ( as opposed to flavour like radar dishes, fuel cells etc ) are small and somewhat easy to place without disturbing the overall design.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 06:55:43 AM »
I think the problem with this ship designer is the same as with Dwarf Fortress - so many options, so many possibilities that you simply get overwhelmed. That plus the not-the-best UI and controls.
What i like is the fact that most of the "real" parts ( as opposed to flavour like radar dishes, fuel cells etc ) are small and somewhat easy to place without disturbing the overall design.

If it is anything like the GCII designer then you can also shrink/enlarge parts without them actually changing effects. This meant you could get a cosmetic design of a ship you liked then just shrink all the guns/shields to tiny appearances and hide them somewhere out of sight on the model.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 07:00:32 AM »
If it is anything like the GCII designer then you can also shrink/enlarge parts without them actually changing effects. This meant you could get a cosmetic design of a ship you liked then just shrink all the guns/shields to tiny appearances and hide them somewhere out of sight on the model.

Yeah it is.
Shame that games combat boils down to coin/dice roll. Imagine if it had a 3d tactical movement, weapons firing arcs, interception and other stuff ... That would be awesome.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 07:03:44 AM »
Yeah it is.
Shame that games combat boils down to coin/dice roll. Imagine if it had a 3d tactical movement, weapons firing arcs, interception and other stuff ... That would be awesome.

So then SEV but without the horrendous increasing time turns?

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 07:17:10 AM »
So then SEV but without the horrendous increasing time turns?

Not really.
In SEV you could kite someone using faster ship with longer ranged weapons, you could group your ships to boost point defence etc.
In Gal Civ 3 you just watch the auto-resolve.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 12:04:31 AM »
Does paint count?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:09:42 AM by Drgong »
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Herodotus4

• Chief Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
I imagine my ships as big spheres with weapons along one side, for armor efficiency.

Offline FictionDragon

• Dragon of the highest order.
  • Petty Officer
  • Don't make this dragon.
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2016, 03:23:34 AM »
I imagine my ships as big spheres with weapons along one side, for armor efficiency.
Sounds like russian armor rounding.  ;D (Google: IS 8-Ball)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:27:12 AM by FictionDragon »
Dragon be between you and harm in all empty spaces where you must walk.

Offline InfinitySquared

• Leading Rate
  • I
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »
Thought I might necro the thread with a flash of inspiration that happened to me tonight.

Fubuki-class General Destroyer

Legend:
  • Green: crew spaces
  • Dark blue: railguns
  • Light blue: interceptor missile launchers
  • Light green: ammunition storage
  • Pink: sensors and targeting
  • White: fuel storage
  • Yellow: reactor
  • Teal: engines
The big vanes on either side are either emitters for the search sensors or radiators for the reactor.  Haven't decided yet.

Katana-class Artillery Frigate

Type-4 Mod. 2 Heavy Strike Craft "Shooting Star"

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »
Thought I might necro the thread with a flash of inspiration that happened to me tonight.

Fubuki-class General Destroyer

Legend:
  • Green: crew spaces
  • Dark blue: railguns
  • Light blue: interceptor missile launchers
  • Light green: ammunition storage
  • Pink: sensors and targeting
  • White: fuel storage
  • Yellow: reactor
  • Teal: engines
The big vanes on either side are either emitters for the search sensors or radiators for the reactor.  Haven't decided yet.

Katana-class Artillery Frigate

Type-4 Mod. 2 Heavy Strike Craft "Shooting Star"

I quoted and removed the link messing that happens when you have less than 10 posts so we can see the images.

Offline InfinitySquared

• Leading Rate
  • I
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 05:04:21 PM »
Ah, thanks! I don't post very much, since I'm always so busy.  But I try to stay active on IRC.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2018, 11:15:14 PM »
Going to bump this topic since it lead to me getting a copy of GCIII and start using it for drawing out my ships. 

The following users thanked this post: GodEmperor, Mastik

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »
Another one. Very early ship.  I like trying to figure out a useful ship early in the game.   :)

The following users thanked this post: GodEmperor, Mastik