Author Topic: Scouting a Precursors infested system  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
Scouting a Precursors infested system
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:31:58 AM »
New game after a while of being away from aurora, conventional start, slowly plodding my way through the stars. I mostly researched construction/propulsion for now, been really unlucky with scientists which is a real problem with a conventional start. After researching ion engine, I switched over to sensors/weapons, cause I have NO military to speak of. And I have two nice precursors infested systems nearby...

So my question is, what would your suggestions be for scouting those systems? It's been a while, and while I did destroy precursors before (usually smashing them with my main fleets), I've never really scouted their system before attacking them. This time I'd like to have SOME intel on what I'm facing before rushing in, missile tubes blazing and all (I'm not really big on fighters until later in the game, though I did read they're perhaps the best way to deal with precursors. So I might try that this time...).

Is this feasible at all? I don't know how they behave when nobody's around. Do they actually patrol the system? If they do, I could sneak in an oversized thermal/em sensor equipped scout, and move it around SLOWLY with reduced engine output in order not to trigger the missile shower of doom. If they don't..... uh, a fast suicide scout with big active sensors?

Or perhaps... sensor buoys? I've never used them before in my life. Would precursors search for the ship which launched the bouys, or not?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Scouting a Precursors infested system
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:08 AM »
Never encountered this yet.  But I would try and go the passive sensor scout way (try to get cloaking beforehand[even basic, it is useful]).  If this wields no results, then it would be time for a suicide mission for any "volunteers" that would crew the active sensor scout ship.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Zincat (OP)

• Captain
  • Z
Re: Scouting a Precursors infested system
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »
Well turns out I sent two scouts at a very slow speed and with very good sensors. Eventually I found the precursors ships, apparently they have their engines turned on even while they are stationary.

However, I run into a slight nnag when they suddenly turned on their actives. I guess they do that from time to time ì, because I'm sure I was far away enough that they could not see me. And at that point, I also turned on my actives and charged at them. After all the scouts ships were basically dead already :)

I did manage to get some good intel though, on speed, size, and such. And at least I know how many ships are in each system. I'll attack the easiest one first, so this should have been a quite useful sacrifice :)