Author Topic: Development Progress - Jun 2015  (Read 5313 times)

Offline se5a (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Development Progress - Jun 2015
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:37:53 PM »
Excluding merges, 4 authors have pushed 2 commits to master and 74 commits to all branches. On master, 25 files have changed and there have been 2,426 additions and 247 deletions.

Despite being away with only spotty access to the internet, and the inability to use github properly when he does manage to get online, Rod has managed to do some good work on the ECS-Comms branch, and got the basics of an API down there.
I'll let him explain more on that when he manages to get online.
Rod and Snopy have been fixing little bugs and cleaning up stuff with galaxy generation as well as working through how the internal game lib/engine will talk to the rest of the app (gui layer etc).
se5a has expanded the JSON tool, which is mostly working for Installations and Techs, and just a tiny bit more work on the Ship Components.
Galaxy Gen has a file for changing how systems are formed, however before we let you loose on playing with that we need to create a gui for changing those settings, as well as saving and loading them.  (then work on displaying the resulting System as well)

I believe Rod should be back from his work trip sometime early this month, so once he's got is personal life sorted he'll be back online cracking the whip at us.

There are some easier issues starting to pop up in the github issues section, if others are keen to help out, pop into #Pulsar4x on freenode IRC and say hello!

Offline Rod-Serling

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Development Progress - Jun 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
Thanks Se5a, for keeping these development updates alive while I was gone.

But people like pictures!

Across all branches:

Across all branches, 268 files have changed and there have been 56,845 additions and 21,589 deletions.

As you can see, we did slow down in June. Much of this is due to work commitments and internet issues, not only by myself, but se5a and Snopy aswell. Most of these issues have been resolved, and I'm certain July will be a much more productive month.

Nathan's working pretty hard on terraforming on the master branch, while we continue on the ECS side. We're actually looking at an ECS Branch release this month. With any luck, as soon as we get a working System map and System Information (F9) screen, we're going to turn out a working release to you guys, with the ability to play with the GalaxyGen settings and export the systems/data to a few different formats. This will include the final UI that we're working on bringing you guys. Hopefully we'll get plenty of good feedback on the progress we've made on it.

And as Se5a said, we have started to focus on creating simpler issues/tasks to be completed by newer developers. The intent of these tasks is to give people who want to contribute a chance, providing some sort of direction without having to learn the whole source code beforehand. As always, anyone interested in helping out is invited to our IRC chat, or ask here.
This post is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Offline se5a (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:09:37 AM »
We're still keen to find someone who likes making user interfaces and is familiar with WPF.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »
You mean people who are like coding wizards or people who are good at using google and copypasting code?
I'm good at latter.

By the way, what's the latest public game version?

Offline Rod-Serling

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
We haven't had a release in quite awhile, so the latest version is still Pulsar4x 0.3

I wouldn't say you have to be a coding wizard. I'm not a coding wizard, I just know how to use google and MSDN to find an answer, and morph it into my specific situation. Coding to me is like legos. You take the different block you're provided, and you make a spaceship out of them.

MSDN, Google, and StackOverflow are my best friends.

We're looking for people who are willing to learn, take feedback,  communicate as peers, and most importantly are motivated. Beyond that, some coding skills are desired, I'd rather not have to teach you the difference between a foreach and a for loop, or a float and a double.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:57:41 AM by Rod-Serling »
This post is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 02:55:55 AM »
I'd be interested in helping you guys code.  I'm not super good with interfaces but I do have some pre-existing ability to code in C# and such.

Offline se5a (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 07:20:19 PM »
Excellent! I'd start by trying to get familiar with the ecs stuff.  I think the comms branch  is the most up to date.  Jump into the #Pulsar4x irc chan on freenode...

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:20:54 PM »
Sounds good to me.