Author Topic: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread  (Read 209222 times)

Offline bsh

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
Re: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #780 on: January 01, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
Hello and happy new year!
I've been playing a bit with a very long running game (350+ years) yesterday, when all of a sudden the games topped responding for hours. I had to kill the task from task manager.
I guess this corrupted the database (of which I have no backup of... :-X ) because now I'm getting thousands of this error message:
"Error in NPRPopPlanning"
"Error 3021 was generated by DAO.Field
No current record."
When I keep holding the ESC key down for like 5 minutes to dismiss probably many thousands of these error popups, the game continues seemingly fine.
Any chance of this database is somehow fixable without loosing too much (ie. no complete deletion of NPRs or systems, etc.) Since I have no idea how to do it, I'd be happy if someone could try to fix this for me. (Please PM me for the database)

Additional info: after this happened, I started a new game within the same stevefire.mdb, 250 systems, non spoilers, 0 NPRs, and this game is terribly slow right at the start when it should fly. 30day turns used to take only a fraction of a second, now a 5 day turn takes somewhere from 5 to 30 seconds.

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #781 on: January 01, 2018, 03:38:29 PM »
Additional info: after this happened, I started a new game within the same stevefire.mdb, 250 systems, non spoilers, 0 NPRs, and this game is terribly slow right at the start when it should fly. 30day turns used to take only a fraction of a second, now a 5 day turn takes somewhere from 5 to 30 seconds.
One should delete previous games in given DB after making a copy of it, especially after long games. I think that was the case in one of the recent versions which was supplied without usual Steve's game. Those Stevefire.mdb-s are not that big, try to make a copy every few years at least.

Do you notice faster processing after leaving just your current game in Aurora DB?

Offline bsh

• b
« Reply #782 on: January 03, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
One should delete previous games in given DB after making a copy of it, especially after long games. I think that was the case in one of the recent versions which was supplied without usual Steve's game. Those Stevefire.mdb-s are not that big, try to make a copy every few years at least.

Do you notice faster processing after leaving just your current game in Aurora DB?
I tried this yesterday (and made backups of that already broken db). I deleted EVERYTHING from the db. there were three games init: the example game, this broken game, and a new one i just started after the long one broke. after deleting all three games, the db size remained exactly the same as before. created a new game in this now-empty db, with 0 NPRs and no spoilers and nothing, at it was the same slow as before.
so I ended up deleting that db and starting fresh from the stevefire.mdb included in the 5.4 installer, deleted example game from it, started a new one, and it's stupidly fast. gone through alsmost a 100 years in a couple hours of playing yesterday!
edit: I used to have some predictable error messages (e.g. at creation of a survey team), these are now gone. but I did get some serious looking error popups once, something about the db engine cannot readsomething and then the game crashed. but it still runs fine and no error messages so far...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:30:29 AM by bsh »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #783 on: January 03, 2018, 11:47:18 AM »
I tried this yesterday (and made backups of that already broken db). I deleted EVERYTHING from the db. there were three games init: the example game, this broken game, and a new one i just started after the long one broke. after deleting all three games, the db size remained exactly the same as before. created a new game in this now-empty db, with 0 NPRs and no spoilers and nothing, at it was the same slow as before.
so I ended up deleting that db and starting fresh from the stevefire.mdb included in the 5.4 installer, deleted example game from it, started a new one, and it's stupidly fast. gone through alsmost a 100 years in a couple hours of playing yesterday!
edit: I used to have some predictable error messages (e.g. at creation of a survey team), these are now gone. but I did get some serious looking error popups once, something about the db engine cannot readsomething and then the game crashed. but it still runs fine and no error messages so far...

Make sure you are using the matching Stevefire.mdb and Aurora.exe (from the same version) or you will encounter problems. You can't use the v5.4 DB file with the v7.1 exe.

Offline Amwhere

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #784 on: January 17, 2018, 02:00:26 AM »
I've run into "Error: WP Link not found in GetWarpPointData" while opening the galaxy screen.  Also, when I do anything in the galaxy screen, such as zooming or moving systems, I get an Error 5.  What I think happened is that I found a new system and started to grav survey, completing some points.  I then discovered that it was inhabited by a new NPR, so I pulled out pending diplomacy, leaving the system's survey incomplete. 

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #785 on: January 17, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »
I've run into "Error: WP Link not found in GetWarpPointData" while opening the galaxy screen.  Also, when I do anything in the galaxy screen, such as zooming or moving systems, I get an Error 5.  What I think happened is that I found a new system and started to grav survey, completing some points.  I then discovered that it was inhabited by a new NPR, so I pulled out pending diplomacy, leaving the system's survey incomplete.

This is caused by a jump point believing it is connected to another jump point that doesn't actually exist. It could be caused (for example) by deleting a system via the DB rather than via the UI.

Offline Amwhere

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #786 on: January 17, 2018, 07:26:33 PM »
Well, I certainly didn't touch the DB.

Offline WHCnelson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #787 on: January 18, 2018, 04:49:54 AM »
Hello I am in year 38 of my game and I am getting an Error in Display Fleets: Error 6 was generated by Aurora overflow.
What does this Mean?  I've turned off display Civilian Fleets in Contacts.  However, I still have this problem.  Its annoying

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #788 on: January 19, 2018, 11:23:20 AM »
Well, I certainly didn't touch the DB.

If you can figure out which system, you can break the link in SM mode and correct the error.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #789 on: January 23, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »
I've had this happen a few times, and by coincidence, recently figured out the likely cause of at least some of the errors.

I normally want to get into playing as soon as possible so I often create a new game, and only delete the example game later on when the database is getting big (and things are slowing down)

A couple of months ago I did this and then started getting the errors described.  I normally move the stevefire.mdb on a USB so I can play on a couple of different m/c.  As it happened I still had a recent copy of the predelete database, and was able to open up the databases and  do a line by line comparison of the Warp points, where I discovered that some of the warp points in the game I was playing were actually referencing systems in the example game.  These all belonged to NPRs so it wasn't anything I could observe in the regular interface.  I presume that the source of the error must be something in system generation or explore new WP processes, but since I did a clean out of my systems over the holiday period I don't have the files anymore.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline bsh

• b
« Reply #790 on: January 24, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »
I'm having a strange problem recently. The game runs extremely slow. And by that I don't mean that turn processing is slow (it is), but the game itself runs very slow while on "pause" between turns. Popup windows (populations window, task groups window, etc.) pop up only about after a minute or so, after "hourglassing", and windows states that the program is not responding. Then they pop up in the background. Clicking on anything takes like half a minute and same hourglassing happens, etc.
Anyone seen this already? What could cause this?

Offline wildfire142

• w
« Reply #791 on: February 17, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »
Getting an error 6 overflow message specifically CheckMissileInterceptions while a series of salvos closes wit a spoiler target. It is eight separate ships each firing 16 missiles per salvo and the error only crops up as they close in on the targets.

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #792 on: February 19, 2018, 11:11:40 PM »
If you can figure out which system, you can break the link in SM mode and correct the error.

How do we break the link? I had a similar problem and resolved it by using SM to mark the problem system as surveyed, but I would have preferred a fix that didn't give me information I hadn't acquired by actual survey. I didn't want to fiddle too much with SM for fear of breaking my game (lot invested after waiting out all those turn increments, lol). I think I feared I might mess up an actual link that I just hadn't explored.

Like the other poster, I've never messed with the DB. My errors cropped up after interrogations of NPR lifeboaters.

Offline doofusstomper

• Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #793 on: March 08, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
1. Light(in fighter size) PDCs confused for fighters.
Appearing in list of items alongside fighters when Construction options is set to Fighters in Industry section of Economics window. I didn't try building one that way. Normally built or SMed light PDcs appearing in Fighter squadrons window. Can be added to fighter squadron. Can be assigned a mothership, which can be even themselves. After that Parasite Commands section of Ships window seems to go partially active.

Done with  Shed class Barn PDC. Shed is 430 tones and consists of boat bay, fuel storage and crew quarters (and armor).

2. Space launchable / droppable PDCs.
Replicable with Shed class and also Missile Complex from conventional start. Task groups containing PDCs cannot be given orders from From Task groups window, Task group orders tab. Only when you click on "No orders possible .  .  .  "  and then select "No move.  .  " and then click add move like nothing is wrong, said task group gets dropped into space. After first such orders some lines appear also in third column and when used with previous order result in database error 3078. Or maybe it appears even without the last step. PDCs get dropped into space where planet currently is, which then moves on its merry way leaving PDCs behind. Which move somewhere at 1 km/s.

Offline Andy8583

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #794 on: April 03, 2018, 04:20:17 AM »
Error 339

Ok, so I've just downloaded the game again, I used the Full Installer from http:aurora2. pentarch. org/index.  php?topic=5663.  0 , and tried making a new game.   The game engine said it was working on the generation of NPRs before this appeared.   
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:21:59 AM by Andy8583 »