Author Topic: C# Ground Combat  (Read 80767 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Ground Combat
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »
Based on comments above and my own play test, I have changed how HQ capacity works. Instead of multiple HQ components, there is now a single component with a configurable capacity (similar to STO in principle).

You select the HQ component and then type in the required capacity. The component cost is Capacity / 2500 and the component size is Capacity / 50 with a max of 500 tons. There is no limit on cost.

Because of this configurable aspect, the HQ can only be placed in the primary slot for those units with multiple slots.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, mtm84, DIT_grue, DEEPenergy

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
Any research cost like there is with the weapon component for STO?

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2018, 06:48:46 AM »
Is there a disadvantage to not having an HQ unit in a small formation? Or does a higher level bonus only apply if a formation has its own commander assigned?  With the new HQ change you could conceivably go down to platoon sized or even squad sized formations without wasting HQ capability, but that would eat up a lot of ground commanders and might take a while to fill out the upper levels of your army.  Maybe I should just stick with company sized formations...

As a side question, are units researched?  Or do you just build what ever units you have designed and they get the latest tech levels automatically?

Also, I vaguely remember there was going to be an improved personal weapon for infantry.  Did you remove that and I didn't see it or was that just an idea?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:51:59 AM by mtm84 »

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2018, 08:51:49 AM »
The disadvantage of not having an HQ, is, IIRC, the fact that Commander bonuses scale down fast, and only the commander in charge of a unit gives his full bonus.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
Any research cost like there is with the weapon component for STO?

Just the normal research cost based on unit cost.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »
Is there a disadvantage to not having an HQ unit in a small formation? Or does a higher level bonus only apply if a formation has its own commander assigned?  With the new HQ change you could conceivably go down to platoon sized or even squad sized formations without wasting HQ capability, but that would eat up a lot of ground commanders and might take a while to fill out the upper levels of your army.  Maybe I should just stick with company sized formations...

As a side question, are units researched?  Or do you just build what ever units you have designed and they get the latest tech levels automatically?

Also, I vaguely remember there was going to be an improved personal weapon for infantry.  Did you remove that and I didn't see it or was that just an idea?

You can't assign a commander to a formation without an HQ and you can't pass on higher-formation bonuses to formations without an HQ.

If you gain higher tech, you will need to design and research new units. For example, House Reichmann has a Panzer III, which is a Medium Vehicle with MAV and CAP using base tech 6 armour and 6 weapon. If armour and weapon tech increases to 8, they could create a Panzer III Ausf B with the same components but higher overall capability and update the formation template for the Panzer Kompanie with the new design (so newer formations will incorporate the update design). Existing formations (as in the real world) will retain the older vehicle.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, mtm84

Offline space dwarf

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »

You can't assign a commander to a formation without an HQ and you can't pass on higher-formation bonuses to formations without an HQ.

If you gain higher tech, you will need to design and research new units. For example, House Reichmann has a Panzer III, which is a Medium Vehicle with MAV and CAP using base tech 6 armour and 6 weapon. If armour and weapon tech increases to 8, they could create a Panzer III Ausf B with the same components but higher overall capability and update the formation template for the Panzer Kompanie with the new design (so newer formations will incorporate the update design). Existing formations (as in the real world) will retain the older vehicle.

Will there be a way to force an upgrade of outdated equipment on a by-formation basis? (so we dont get stuck with worthless outdated formations who have to be destroyed and rebuilt)

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
I’d really like that as well, or a something like the missile series so as you put upgraded models of a design line into production, they can be used to upgrade formations, with the obsolete models going into storage for eventual last-resort use or dismantling.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
Something like the Missile Series is a good idea, but I wouldn't want my existing formations auto-upgrading.  Having the option to upgrade, sure, but 99% of the time I want a new battalion of Death Commandos, not a 12% improvement to my existing battalion.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2018, 04:29:27 AM »
I haven't coded it yet but my intention is to allow swapping of equipment between formation elements so you can re-equip high morale elements.

For example, you build a new formation of 100 Panzer III Ausf Bs, with 100 morale. You also have an existing formation element of 50 Panzer IIIs with 200 morale. You will be able to swap 50 of the Panzer III Ausf Bs in the new formation element with the older model in the elite formation element.

The elite formation still has 200 morale but now has the updated tank, while the new formation has 50 of the older tank and 50 Ausf Bs. Effectively, you are passing on the new tank to the elite crews (although the crew itself is not tracked specifically).

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2018, 06:58:22 AM »
I haven't coded it yet but my intention is to allow swapping of equipment between formation elements so you can re-equip high morale elements.

For example, you build a new formation of 100 Panzer III Ausf Bs, with 100 morale. You also have an existing formation element of 50 Panzer IIIs with 200 morale. You will be able to swap 50 of the Panzer III Ausf Bs in the new formation element with the older model in the elite formation element.

The elite formation still has 200 morale but now has the updated tank, while the new formation has 50 of the older tank and 50 Ausf Bs. Effectively, you are passing on the new tank to the elite crews (although the crew itself is not tracked specifically).

It would be great if formations would update automatically and take new equipment based on priority so you don't have to micromanage everything. I guess you need to implement a way for the AI to do it anyway.

As such you can put a reinforcement and a upgrade priority in every element. The system will then distribute equipment as they are built automatically and keeping the up to date and swapping out old equipment as new become available.

It would also be interesting of equipment not assigned cost less maintenance so there is a reason to keep stock of equipment. But that of course mean that there must be some considerable time and cost to form elements and units or else it will be abused to store armies in warehouses until they are needed.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2018, 02:15:47 PM »
It would be great if formations would update automatically and take new equipment based on priority so you don't have to micromanage everything. I guess you need to implement a way for the AI to do it anyway.

Something like the Missile Series is a good idea, but I wouldn't want my existing formations auto-upgrading.  Having the option to upgrade, sure, but 99% of the time I want a new battalion of Death Commandos, not a 12% improvement to my existing battalion.

At least one of us is going to be disappointed. . .

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »
In an auto upgrade/reinforcement scenario new formations would take equipment until filled first. That I believe would make sense so I don't see why that would be much of a problem.

If you have ever played HoI for example you would understand roughly how that would work and it work just fine there.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »
At least one of us is going to be disappointed. . .

Love the "at least" :)

John

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2018, 03:07:11 AM »
Steve, any chance we get a long range light bombardment component?  There are a lot of armies with large infantry mortars that don't really fit with what I would consider Medium bombardment.  Or maybe I'm just spoiled for choices now lol.