Author Topic: Do they invade?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Do they invade?
« on: February 12, 2018, 07:58:48 AM »
I'm curious about your experience with how aggressive and expanding NPRs are. I have setup a game with 3 NPR at 150% diff at start, and 28 years in the future, I still have to spot one of their vessel. Are they expanding at all, that's the question. I have surveyed roughly at a distance of 6 jumps in all directions from Sol.

I have met so far the Precursors, another race which is friendly and a third one which was not but was at a tech level under me (so I conquered them). For the 3 others, which are existing as I checked the list of races in the relevant dropdown box in Designer's Mode, I see nothing, and I guess the 3 I have not yet seen are the 3 at 150%, and not the 3 I have seen so far (because I can't imagine that the Precursors are seen as a normal race, and I can't imagine that the lousy aggressive alien I conquered was at 150% diff).

Strange, no? Unless you tell me they could indeed spawn at a distance of 20 jumps from me that is... It makes for a slightly dull game now, although I'm happy to develop a real empire.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Do they invade?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »
How big is your universe?  (The default is 1000.)  How interconnected is it?  (The default is 50% chance for a jump point to connect to a system +or- 50 from the origin system's number.

The only guarantee is that the starting NPRs are not adjacent to your starting system (or each other's).  Everything after that is random chance.

P.S.:  You'll know when your game implodes in an endless series of errors.  There's a bug in the NPR difficulty code that causes them to think they've only spent 1 wealth / minerals / whatever when they're actually spending 1.5 (at 150% difficulty).

P.P.S.:  The NPR difficulty rating is global (heh) across all NPRs (not Precursors or spoilers) in your game, not just the starting ones.  Every NPR's strength (at the time of its creation) is proportional to yours, from about 0.5 to 3.0 times your empire (rolled randomly, plus modifiers).  So the one NPR you've already crushed might very well have been one of your three starting opponents.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09:35 AM »
oh... so they are within the 1000 systems but can be very, very, very far!

What about this series of endless error, is it going to happen at some point or I can avoid it? if the difficulty is dynamic, is going back to 100% when it happens solve the issue.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:36 PM »
What about this series of endless error, is it going to happen at some point or I can avoid it? if the difficulty is dynamic, is going back to 100% when it happens solve the issue.

It is going to happen and you can't avoid it (other than by abandoning your game early; which is the same effect from a different source).

No; you can't solve the issue.  If you set the NPR difficulty back to 100% then new NPRs won't face the problem, but the existing ones (that were created at 150%) still will.  Eventually, one of them will try to spend non-existent minerals / wealth / whatever that it thinks it has and the game becomes unplayable.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:02:53 PM »
therefore it is your holy duty to conquer the heathens and save the galaxy from their absurd lack of intelligence.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

The following users thanked this post: PlasmaXJ

Offline doofusstomper

• Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
So if I have set mine to 90% this particular error will not rear its ugly head in my game?

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 11:15:56 PM »
So if I have set mine to 90% this particular error will not rear its ugly head in my game?
I suppose in theory, no, but if the same logic applies, your NPR's will be holding quite some booty
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.