Author Topic: Providing research  (Read 4077 times)

Offline the obelisk (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
Providing research
« on: March 07, 2018, 07:31:37 AM »
I'm playing my first campaign with multiple player controlled races (on earth), and twice now I've had a situation where one race completes research into a technology, and then another race is given a less advanced version of the technology by the first race.  I've never heard of this happening, either on the wiki or the forum.  Can someone explain this to me?  Is there a way to make it stop?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Providing research
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 09:26:16 AM »
I'm playing my first campaign with multiple player controlled races (on earth), and twice now I've had a situation where one race completes research into a technology, and then another race is given a less advanced version of the technology by the first race.  I've never heard of this happening, either on the wiki or the forum.  Can someone explain this to me?  Is there a way to make it stop?

Technology moves by osmosis where races share the same home world or have treaties (on the assumption that less advanced tech moves into the civilian sectors and elsewhere). Often this is a couple of levels below the new technology but in cases where a good relationship exists, it may be just one level below.

In real world terms, there are a lot of countries using technology that they didn't invent but it is usually lower tech than the originating country.

Offline the obelisk (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
Interesting.  I was completely unaware that mechanic was in the game.  I don't think I've ever seen it discussed in any of the stories in the fiction board.

The following users thanked this post: Starmantle

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »
This was new to me too.  Thanks, Steve.  Very interesting and appropriate.

At first, I thought "osmosis" was a euphemism for espionage teams. 

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 09:05:47 AM »
Technology moves by osmosis where races share the same home world or have treaties (on the assumption that less advanced tech moves into the civilian sectors and elsewhere). Often this is a couple of levels below the new technology but in cases where a good relationship exists, it may be just one level below.

In real world terms, there are a lot of countries using technology that they didn't invent but it is usually lower tech than the originating country.
We learn new stuff about Aurora all the time. I don't think that I have seen that in any documentation whatsoever. Interesting feature nontheless. Makes me think if a player should be able to control what is "osmosed" and what not... .

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »
I don't recall which update or patch that change came on, but I do recall when Steve implemented it.  There was quite a bit of discussion but in the end it was pretty much a no-brainer and we all moved on.  LOL

Adam.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
I don't recall which update or patch that change came on, but I do recall when Steve implemented it.  There was quite a bit of discussion but in the end it was pretty much a no-brainer and we all moved on.  LOL

Adam.

I know it was a result of one of Steve's multi-national Earth starts.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 07:11:43 AM »
We learn new stuff about Aurora all the time. I don't think that I have seen that in any documentation whatsoever. Interesting feature nontheless. Makes me think if a player should be able to control what is "osmosed" and what not... .
It really isn't something you can control. The leading edge of high-tech can be kept under wraps, but once something is in general use, you can't stop it from spreading. The only way to prevent this from happening is to not have colonies on the same body and not to have trade access.

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
It really isn't something you can control. The leading edge of high-tech can be kept under wraps, but once something is in general use, you can't stop it from spreading. The only way to prevent this from happening is to not have colonies on the same body and not to have trade access.

YES!!! General Colonial Warfare!