Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0  (Read 25582 times)

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2023, 12:44:44 PM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=13404. msg167315#msg167315 date=1703023096
Quote from: Louella link=topic=13404. msg167314#msg167314 date=1703022631
More auxiliary command stations, to. . .  allow officers to have more extensive career histories:
This has been discussed many times in the past.  The main reason cited not to do this is that it doesn't create interesting decisions in most cases.
True enough, however it'd allow for more story opportunities.  Having the ship commander separate from the ship's primary function, has potential for story set-ups, whereas the single-officer ship has less.  Especially when you factor in the "political reliability" option for promotions.
An officer character who has high combat-related stats, but low political reliability, and they get assigned to a garbage scow for 5 years because of politics, is a prompt for writing a short story.
"Despite graduating at the top of their class at the Academy, Captain Wingus was assigned command of a garbage scow after a falling-out with the Admiralty, not helped by spilling their drink on the Grand Admiral's bosom at a Sector HQ soiree, where they languished for 5 years before acquiring a sufficiently embarrassing amount of seniority that necessitated their transfer back to a ship of the line".  Comedy all round.
And it reduces the amount of "dead-end" positions.  Like, for terraformer ships, you have the ships, and maybe one staff position, and that's the only use for the whole officer skill bonus for terraforming.  Having more positions on ships would help shuffle characters around, provide variety etc.
Sure it wouldn't be "optimal", but it'd be nice for it to be an option.  Just like how "realistic promotions" isn't optimal.

The following users thanked this post: Salsabrains

Offline Solidus

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2023, 02:24:22 PM »
Minor QoL suggestion, standardize the inclusion of parent fleet information in Event messaging.  For example the Maintenance Problem event in the message below include the parent fleet (Battle Fleet) in the log; while the Overhaul Complete log entry does not.

The following users thanked this post: papent, Napier

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2023, 03:02:27 PM »
Suggestion:
Release 2.5.0 before Christmas, so we have the most stable version to play with for the rest of the year.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser, nuclearslurpee

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2023, 03:26:01 PM »
Requesting that Automated Assignments Tour Lengths protocol make a comeback.
And Would love to see Missile Series return.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2023, 04:00:05 PM »
Suggestion:
Release 2.5.0 before Christmas, so we have the most stable version to play with for the rest of the year.  ;D

Unironically this because it's a crying shame that ATG on missiles is bugged and I want to play with the new toys.

The following users thanked this post: lumporr

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2023, 05:08:38 PM »
Suggestion:

Unironically this because it's a crying shame that ATG on missiles is bugged and I want to play with the new toys.

I will release v2.5.0 before Christmas. As this is a DB release, I am just giving it a couple more days to see if anything else turns up.

The following users thanked this post: Kurt, Demonides, Kaiser, smoelf, BAGrimm, Elminster, nuclearslurpee, lumporr, Ragnarsson

Bucz

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2023, 06:13:54 PM »
Would it be possible to import/export admin command setup?
Would it be possible to copy/paste auto assignment settings between different admin commands?

Right now it takes a lot of time to set it up every time you start a new campaign or create new admin structures/fleets.
Creating 20+ different admin commands and then setting their automatic assignment preferences and priorities is a lot of clicking.
Would be great qol change to make it easier to set up.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2023, 06:24:23 PM »
Welcome to the forums Bucz, please register your account so that you can post normally and we don't have to manually approve each post you make.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2023, 09:48:46 PM »
Would it be possible to import/export admin command setup?
Would it be possible to copy/paste auto assignment settings between different admin commands?

Right now it takes a lot of time to set it up every time you start a new campaign or create new admin structures/fleets.
Creating 20+ different admin commands and then setting their automatic assignment preferences and priorities is a lot of clicking.
Would be great qol change to make it easier to set up.

I would like if by default admin commands inherited their settings from their parent command on creation (except that the required rank is reduced by 1, of course). Worst case, it is the same as we have now and I have to change everything again, best case is that this reduces micro when creating cascades of LOG or SRV commands for instance.

The following users thanked this post: Napier

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2023, 11:43:18 PM »
A new event "Fleet Completed Shore Leave" that fires when the last ship in the fleet that needed shore leave completes it's rewind clock. It would let me finally hide the spam of "Shore Leave Complete" events that fire for each individual ship.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Elminster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2023, 03:17:33 AM »
BTW, isn't it time for a new Full Installation Version?
I mean... 1.13.0 to 2.5.0 seems to be an adequate jump, don't you think? ;-)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2023, 05:44:45 AM »
BTW, isn't it time for a new Full Installation Version?
I mean... 1.13.0 to 2.5.0 seems to be an adequate jump, don't you think? ;-)

Once it is stable, I will update the full install.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, BigBacon, Snoman314, lumporr

Offline Salsabrains

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2023, 09:48:46 AM »
Re the suggestions on additional command modules for industrial ships what about:
- making industrial modules give off significant thermal / EM signatures
- making the additional command modules both large and expensive, so that they were only justified in very large ships /stations with a lot of modules
The first would incentivise smaller ships to reduce risk of detection, while the second would incentivise large ships for greater efficiency.  This wouldn't really work for stabilization ships, as you only need one module, but for miners / terraformers could create an interesting design decision

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2023, 10:54:00 AM »
Suggestion:

I will release v2.5.0 before Christmas. As this is a DB release, I am just giving it a couple more days to see if anything else turns up.

This actually works for me.  I set up a new campaign, but have been struggling to get it off the ground.  It took me longer than it should have to realize that this was because I wasn't really interested in the setup, and couldn't get into it.  I had already decided to start over, and the new update works for me. 

Thanks Steve!

Offline tastythighs

• The Orange
  • Petty Officer
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2023, 01:10:44 PM »
NPRs and spoilers to use heavy, superheavy and ultraheavy vehicle types.  Rakhas have their battlewagons, but no stompas.