Author Topic: My they are healthy eaters...  (Read 4427 times)

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
My they are healthy eaters...
« on: September 21, 2017, 02:13:27 AM »
Not quite sure how to continue game.   Discovered (frogs) with alot of 750 ton gunboats and one 60000 mother ship.   I attacked with
 6 DDs with 126x8 damage missiles and 8 Sloops with 120x4 missiles (mag plus damage per).   Salvos for each group was over 30 with
the addition of 2 box launchers each for an initial barrage.... in one engagement destroyed all the gunboats with missile fire well away
from my fleet.   Used up alot of my missile reserve so went back to Sol to reload mags.   Sent out Colliers, Tankers, and a Supply ship
in the Fleet train.   All that was left was the 60,000 (mother?) ship, 600 shields, 1000kph speed and a 336/100 active sensor.  Over the
engagement I fired off just about every missile.  all my Slapshot S3 (4 damage) and Nike S6 (8 damage).   I estimate that I hit him with
over 2500 points in damage not  inc those missiles intercepted by his PD.   Yet it flies on at 1000kph with no problem at all.   It even sweeps
slowly past my fleet ignoring me.   Other than SM create 100 heavy missile cruisers I don't see what I can do within a general game without
going back and cheating and SM building such ships.  I am trying to play with an act/react not a magic wand.   Suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:16:26 AM by plasticpanzers »

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
Re: My they are healthy eaters...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:48:04 AM »
I decided not to go with the SM 100 heavy missile cruisers.....I went with 8 SM 299,100 ton Superdreadnoughts and blew
the bejeebers out of the frogs..... satisfaction at last.... ;D   I will go back to the SM to remove these ships (and the 24
Neosho class tankers they needed to move any distance and lower back down the logistics I had to SM to keep these
healthy til they finished their job.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:53:45 AM by plasticpanzers »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:15:35 AM »
They're hard to deal with if you're not ready, but a fleet specifically designed to exploit their weaknesses isn't too hard to create . 
Also this is reaching spoiler territory, the topic should be in that part of the forum :p
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:21:59 AM »
The 60,000 tonner sailed past your fleet without trying to ram?  ;D

This is where versatile military design philosophies really help on a first encounter. My initial fleet fielded a pair of ships with a pair of quad laser turrets (not that we need turret tracking speeds to deal with this threat). After my magazines were emptied like yours (I threw all the ASMs and AMMs at it), the eight lasers were able to chip away at the problem and eventually vaporize it---I think I actually might have (needlessly, since I never built any) researched a level of high-powered microwave after the time it took.

Make sure you set the encounter distance correctly (follow at distance order) and max the initiative on your combatants so they're less likely to dance around your intended victim.