Author Topic: Naming Theme Suggestions  (Read 63877 times)

Offline Son_of_Orion

• Leading Rate
  • S
Re: Naming Theme Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2020, 03:33:21 AM »
Been working on expanding human namelists with a bunch of new ones.   I can't take all the credit for this: I mainly derived them from an old XCOM mod called Enhanced Namelists.   I just cleaned up the code and left nothing but the names.   I wanted to increase the national diversity of officers.   I like having my human campaign having a real global feel to it, and though the current namelists are quite impressive, I felt that there was room for more.   This is only a few of many that I'll be making.   So far, I have created Vietnamese, Bengali, Maori, Hungarian, Nigerian, Sinhalese, Albanian, Serbo-Croatian and Bosnian lists.   More will likely come in the near future. 

Edit: Added more namelists, the new archive is in a newer post below.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:22:56 PM by Son_of_Orion »

Offline Mark Yanning

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2020, 06:02:32 AM »
Thanks man, very nice. How do you upload exactly the files? Or is it just Steve has to do for us  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:04:07 AM by Mark Yanning »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2020, 06:18:04 AM »
On the main game screen under the Miscellaneous tab theres 2 Buttons for adding themes.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2020, 05:44:15 PM »
I'm a big fan of the new suffix system for ship names.  Here are some "evocative adjectives" (that's what the site I borrowed them from called them) that I think work really well with it.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »
Here is a set of Norwegian ship name lists, including corvettes, destroyers, FACs, frigates, submarines, schooners, and sloops.

Edit: Added a Norwegian cities theme as well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:21:46 PM by JacenHan »

Offline Son_of_Orion

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2020, 08:57:08 PM »
Well, I've completed version 2 of my additional commander namelist archive.    I've added over a dozen more nationalities/ethnicities with thousands of new names.    I would've added more, but there is a limitation I've found with Aurora itself that prevent me from doing so.    Namely, it does not differentiate between male and female-specific surnames, 'cause you can only add one surname file.    This is important for countries like Lithuania and Iceland, where men and women have starkly different naming conventions from each other.    Even so, there's a lot to unpack here, and I'm quite pleased with my progress.    I hope this makes your human-centric games feel far more diverse and immersive! Also, as stated before, this is not my original work.    I simply lifted them from the old XCOM Enemy Unknown mod Enhanced Namelists.    The mod creator deserves the real credit!
Here's a full count of countries and/or ethnicities I've included so far: Albanian, Armenian, Belgian, Bengali, Bosnian, Burmese, Congolese, Danish, Estonian, Ethiopian, Filipino, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Israeli, Khmer, Kurdish, Latvian, Malay, Maori, Nigerian, Norwegian, Pashtun, Serbo-Croatian, Sinhalese, Swahili and Vietnamese.     
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:35:04 PM by Son_of_Orion »

The following users thanked this post: Oriolus

Offline Waldschrat

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • W
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2020, 04:32:06 AM »
I'm surprised there is not a lovecraft namelist allready.
So i looked up the lovecraft fandom page and made a couple of lists.

The Outer Gods List includes 51 names.
The Great Old Ones List includes 223 names.
The Elder and Old Ones List includes 33 names.
The All Gods Lovecraft Circle should include only the names of gods created by lovecraft and has 101 names.

I did spellcheck every name once but that's a really hard task, hope i didn't include some mistakes.

The following users thanked this post: mike2R, smoelf, dystopian_settings

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2020, 05:54:10 AM »
Is there a recommended (max) number of names for a naming theme? I was about to make a list for Danish names and got some data from Danish Statistics. At first glance it seems to be a COMPLETE list of (male and female) first and last names in Denmark by January 1st 2019, which seems a bit overkill. Is there any suggestions for what I should shave it down to or should I just put all of it in?

EDIT: I just looked at the file. The list of female first names contains 78.250 individual names, even down to those with only one occurance. Overkill is probably to put it mildly.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:59:35 AM by smoelf »

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2020, 10:48:32 AM »
Is there a recommended (max) number of names for a naming theme? [snip] Is there any suggestions for what I should shave it down to or should I just put all of it in?

This, I would like to know, too. Is there any relevant technical limit? And how long should a list be for others' styles and preferences?

I myself usually prefer theme lists to be very long, overkill or not. (But I admit: that Danish one seems a bit heavy, even by my standards.) I haven't created any myself for C# yet. But once I get to a universe with a sophisticated custom starting setup where I create my own lists, and if I should decide to share some name lists in niches that haven't been covered yet, it would be good to know what length others find satisfactory & (with ship name lists under certain circumstances) manageable for their empires.

[snip] ...there is a limitation I've found with Aurora itself that prevent me from doing so.    Namely, it does not differentiate between male and female-specific surnames, 'cause you can only add one surname file.    This is important for countries like Lithuania and Iceland, where men and women have starkly different naming conventions from each other.

Wouldn't the solution to that be to create two separate gender-specific "cultures", one that includes only female names, and one only with male? Then you would just have to use both themes with equal (or unequal if it suits the story) weight in Aurora to include one actual culture.

I haven't tested/read up yet if it's technically possible to include a fe/male-only culture file in C Aurora. Workaround, if not: Unless I have impatiently overlooked it, unlike VB Aurora, male or female isn't used by C Aurora anywhere, at least for now (1.9.4), so you could just split names into two "male" and "female" files arbitrarily to produce the desired effect. So you would have one "Icelandic (F)" culture with "male" and "female" files that include actually only female names; and analogously for "Icelandic (M)".

[And C# feels already so good that I don't think there is any need for an Icelandic (Yes!) culture for VB Aurora traditionalists. ;)]

Edit: fixed accidental quote distortion
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:08:54 AM by Second Foundationer »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2020, 11:29:58 AM »
In the specific case of the Danish list, I believe the convention is to only include names shared by 100 or more people.

As for the technical limit, it might 1024 KB, or 256 MB.  Personally, I wouldn't want more than a thousand or so lines (and therefore names) in a single file.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf, Second Foundationer

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2020, 12:29:42 PM »
I ended up going for the 500 most common names for first and last names. It gives a nice breadth, while still conforming to Father Tim's suggestion.

I have also collected a few files with historic names for ships in the Danish navy in the 19th, 20th and 21th centuries. I have not distinguished between names of classes and names of vessels, partly because there is a lot of overlap in that area.

There are a lot of duplicates between the few lists, but among certain categories there are sufficient unique naming conventions that it made sense to make some of them into their own lists. If anyone ends up using it and finds that the duplicates are a problem, I can probably find a solution for that.

The following users thanked this post: Second Foundationer

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2020, 01:02:13 PM »
This is a list of IJN warship names translated into English - I think the approach taken may be somewhat fanciful (eg Ariake becomes "Dawn But Still the Moon Remains in the Sky") , but it gets some interesting ship names...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:27:11 PM by mike2R »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »
Here is a set of Norwegian ship name lists, including corvettes, destroyers, FACs, frigates, submarines, schooners, and sloops.

Edit: Added a Norwegian cities theme as well.
Could you make a Norwegian names list?

The game already includes Swedish names and there's a Danish names list underworks. My current game could really use them!

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2020, 01:20:07 PM »
The list labeled Royal Navy Constellation Class is actually just a list of the 88 constellations, and isn't connected to the RN at all.  (I know because I put it together many years ago.)
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2020, 02:16:23 PM »
Since the need to procrastinate occured once again, I made a Norwegian personale names theme. The list of surnames is compiled after a similar method as the Danish list - based on current day data for the 500 most frequent surnames in Norway as of 2019. I was unable to find similar lists for first names, so I had to take a different approach. Those lists are based on the top ten most popular names in census between 1880 and 2019. This results in a much shorter list (about 75-85 names), and it is more historic in nature.

I might compile a list of contemporary names, once the need for procrastination grows strong enough, but that would require contacting Statistics Norway, so it might be a while.