Author Topic: Engine Type ( v6.21 )  (Read 1110 times)

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Engine Type ( v6.21 )
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:13:56 AM »
I decided to design a commercial survey vessel and in the ship design screen added commercial engines to the design.

However when I added the survey sensors the design flipped from commercial to military for maintenance purposes although there was no design error flagged to state incorrect type engines fitted. With v6.21 is it now possible to design and use vessels with the wrong type engines fitted or is this a bug?

Also if vessels types can have the opposite type engines fitted can jump drives then be designed and used and if so what type should they be ?( based on the engine or the maintenance ? ).

DavidR

Ok - it appears that now ( without engines )  the Grav Survey ships are classified Military and the Geo Survey ships are Commercial - I had not noticed this in previous versions so maybe this is something new.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:55:14 AM by davidr »

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
Re: Engine Type ( v6.21 )
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:22:21 AM »
Grav survey sensors have been military systems ever since I started playing, but that is indeed how it goes.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Engine Type ( v6.21 )
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
Commercial engines can be placed on military ships.  The commercial designation indicates that they don't force the ship to be military, not what the role of the ship was.  (Think of the Bugs in the Starfire books by Weber and White.)

A different way to say it is that any military system placed on a ship will cause that ship to be classified as military.

John